GOP shifting platform
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:57:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  GOP shifting platform
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: GOP shifting platform  (Read 2107 times)
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 01, 2012, 02:52:35 AM »

Do you think the GOP will shift their party platforms post 2016 to more social liberal/moderate issues like being isolationists to foreign policy, abortion, drugs, etc? Would it be a good idea to go back to their roots in the early 20th century?

I noticed how Romney never mentioned war in his speech during the convention.  He's the first GOP candidate since Eisenhower in 1952 to not bring up foreign policy.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 02:59:02 AM »

The GOP is still going to be a fundamentally socially conservative party. The Dems will become too closely hewed to social liberalism, so the GOP is naturally going to mirror that.

That being said, the GOP will probably move slowly in favor of partial drug legalization, immigration reform (I mean, they already endorsed some degree of that this year), and some degree of recognition for gay marriage. There will probably be no movement on issues such as gun control, abortion, affirmative action, and religion in the public sphere.

Plus, there's more to social conservatism/liberalism than drugs and gay marriage. The GOP has a heavy lead among married people and people with children and this is just going to get even stronger as those people become rarer. So yeah, it'll probably stay socially conservative.
Hanzo
Rookie
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 05:55:24 PM »

RockyIce, I think with the changing demographics and the GOP going to be on the losing side of issues, it will go more towards the center and the moderate-to-liberal wing will be revived. Some Republicans fail to see that wing can win in blue states. When the GOP wins only the South and nothing else, something has to give in. The GOP is only in the beginning of the wilderness years. I knew after Obama got elected the wilderness years would begin. I think 2020 would be a great Republican year.

I see the GOP easing up on gay marriage, drug legalization, abortion and affirmative action. Someone had written an essay once how moderates, liberals and pragmatic conservatives were really what the Republican Party was about. It will come with the younger generation of GOP politicians.

I can't see how the GOP can remain conservative for the next 10-50 years despite conservatives have had more power in the GOP since 1912 (and 1964). Not to mention all the growing demographics are more liberal and don't have a good image of conservatives (or the GOP for that matter) at all. There must also be a new base of voters, the GOP base is shrinking. The extremists will be hopefully marginalized by 2016.

But it's just my opinion, not really facts to back it up, but from studying patterns.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 05:26:56 AM »

I'm thinking the GOP's pigheaded approach toward Ron Paulers, Tea Partyers, etc. will hurt them big time in the short term, and could schism the party in a way we haven't seen since the Whigs. 

Will the Libertarian Party benefit?  We'll see the beginning of this in November as many turn their votes for Gary Johnson.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 07:36:31 AM »

I don't see it changing in the short-term. The Republicans are really going to have to get their asses kicked for a few cycles before the wake up and smell the coffee. Unfortunately that might take longer than it should because of the Great Recession.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 10:51:44 AM »

The idea that the GOP must mirror the anarcho-objectivist views of libertarians and Paulites to become viable is ludicrous. Following such policies would only deepen the problem, for while it's fashionable to think of the libertarians as a group of civil rights and social progressivism, it really is one of even more economic regressivism, Confederate apologism, pro-inequality thought, and even the demonization of Abraham Lincoln, with a few token gestures towards pot and other issues that appeal to the young. Following such a path would strip the Republican party of any remaining electability.

What I think the GOP should do is return to its ideals of fiscal responsibility- both in terms of revenues and spending. The wealthy are not serving the Republican Party by voting democrat, so why should the GOP feel beholden to them. One of the first moves of a Republican President should be to endorse the closing of loopholes that favor the wealthy- raising the capital gains tax on high earners to meet the normal rate, ending deductions for yachts and private jets, perhaps endorsing the 'Buffett Plan' even- whilst reiterating the fact that the rich want this done to them with high profile appearances and the like. The Republican Party should stand by a pro-business ethic, whilst ensuring companies like GE don't pay nothing (ooh I hate double negatives) in taxes while middle sized, small, and tech businesses don't get soaked by the world's second highest tax rate. There are other things, but the main theme should be pro-business, but fair.

The GOP should not be anti-government but for efficient government, one there when it should be, not a nonexistent one. The fastest growing group in America are Asian Americans, and while generally socially and fiscally conservative, are turned off by racist and antigovernment messaging. This to an extent applies to Hispanics as well. By supporting pro-growth policies like immigration reform to allow more skilled workers, education reform that is not just anti-union, investment in renewable energy, infranstructural investment (particularly high speed rail), and more workers rights (thus undermining unions as well), the GOP can put forth a platform that is not predicated on just hoping the rich invest in the US.

Socially the GOP should concede on some issues like immigration and gay marriage that polarize minorities and alienate the youth, whilst focusing on winning issues like abortion and the family. These could help gain minority support, which would be crucial. Also the GOP should use the media to try to make certain non-issues such as euthanasia, social housing, and the death penalty into major points of contention with the goal of forcing liberals to "bite the bait" by supporting these unpopular initiatives, thus earning the GOP political capital.

The GOP will need to strengthen its leadership to force a quick and universial acceptance of these goals, gaining the ability to force out uncompliant candidates and members (wouldn't it be nice to simply eject Todd Akin from the GOP?). Also, a concerted effort should be made to have a more diverse slate of candidates.

By changing its platform in these ways the GOP could lay the foundations for a diverse base, one that could be used for long term electoral success.

Good God, that post was long.
Emperor Dubya
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 11:17:28 AM »

What the GOP needs is to tone down its positions on issues, rather than abandon them. For instance, most Americans are opposed to Abortion in most cases, but they don't like the argument shoved in their faces. If the GOP went back to focusing on sound economic management, then I think it would do well.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 01:03:00 PM »

What the GOP needs is to tone down its positions on issues, rather than abandon them. For instance, most Americans are opposed to Abortion in most cases, but they don't like the argument shoved in their faces. If the GOP went back to focusing on sound economic management, then I think it would do well.

The simplest post on this issue so far.  And quite frankly, the least ludicrous.
NY Jew

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 01:13:33 PM »
« Edited: September 07, 2012, 01:16:21 PM by NY Jew »

RockyIce, I think with the changing demographics and the GOP going to be on the losing side of issues, it will go more towards the center and the moderate-to-liberal wing will be revived. Some Republicans fail to see that wing can win in blue states. When the GOP wins only the South and nothing else, something has to give in. The GOP is only in the beginning of the wilderness years. I knew after Obama got elected the wilderness years would begin. I think 2020 would be a great Republican year.

I see the GOP easing up on gay marriage, drug legalization, abortion and affirmative action. Someone had written an essay once how moderates, liberals and pragmatic conservatives were really what the Republican Party was about. It will come with the younger generation of GOP politicians.

I can't see how the GOP can remain conservative for the next 10-50 years despite conservatives have had more power in the GOP since 1912 (and 1964). Not to mention all the growing demographics are more liberal and don't have a good image of conservatives (or the GOP for that matter) at all. There must also be a new base of voters, the GOP base is shrinking. The extremists will be hopefully marginalized by 2016.

But it's just my opinion, not really facts to back it up, but from studying patterns.
then the party will become extinct as will this country.
the country is more conservative then liberal
frankly the way for republicans to win is to focus on social issues especially in the minority communities.  If they don't do that they will be extinct in a few years because demographically.  Blacks and Hispanics will be to numerous for the GOP to ever win.  Giving in a bit on immigration and focusing on primarily on social issues in minority areas especially gay marriage and abortion will help them win enough in the minority communities to become a viable party for quite a while.  Giving up on gay marriage is idiotic gays vote over 90% democrat even when the Republican is just as EVIL on gay marriage .(look at gay areas and it's obvious despite the lies in the polls) 

personally I find it pathetic liberal democrats always dictate the Republicans viability and it almost never works when the Republicans follow their suicidal advise.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 01:38:46 PM »
« Edited: September 07, 2012, 01:45:29 PM by James Badass Monroe »

The idea that the GOP must mirror the anarcho-objectivist views of libertarians and Paulites to become viable is ludicrous. Following such policies would only deepen the problem, for while it's fashionable to think of the libertarians as a group of civil rights and social progressivism, it really is one of even more economic regressivism, Confederate apologism, pro-inequality thought, and even the demonization of Abraham Lincoln, with a few token gestures towards pot and other issues that appeal to the young. Following such a path would strip the Republican party of any remaining electability.

What I think the GOP should do is return to its ideals of fiscal responsibility- both in terms of revenues and spending. The wealthy are not serving the Republican Party by voting democrat, so why should the GOP feel beholden to them. One of the first moves of a Republican President should be to endorse the closing of loopholes that favor the wealthy- raising the capital gains tax on high earners to meet the normal rate, ending deductions for yachts and private jets, perhaps endorsing the 'Buffett Plan' even- whilst reiterating the fact that the rich want this done to them with high profile appearances and the like. The Republican Party should stand by a pro-business ethic, whilst ensuring companies like GE don't pay nothing (ooh I hate double negatives) in taxes while middle sized, small, and tech businesses don't get soaked by the world's second highest tax rate. There are other things, but the main theme should be pro-business, but fair.

The GOP should not be anti-government but for efficient government, one there when it should be, not a nonexistent one. The fastest growing group in America are Asian Americans, and while generally socially and fiscally conservative, are turned off by racist and antigovernment messaging. This to an extent applies to Hispanics as well. By supporting pro-growth policies like immigration reform to allow more skilled workers, education reform that is not just anti-union, investment in renewable energy, infranstructural investment (particularly high speed rail), and more workers rights (thus undermining unions as well), the GOP can put forth a platform that is not predicated on just hoping the rich invest in the US.

Socially the GOP should concede on some issues like immigration and gay marriage that polarize minorities and alienate the youth, whilst focusing on winning issues like abortion and the family. These could help gain minority support, which would be crucial. Also the GOP should use the media to try to make certain non-issues such as euthanasia, social housing, and the death penalty into major points of contention with the goal of forcing liberals to "bite the bait" by supporting these unpopular initiatives, thus earning the GOP political capital.

The GOP will need to strengthen its leadership to force a quick and universial acceptance of these goals, gaining the ability to force out uncompliant candidates and members (wouldn't it be nice to simply eject Todd Akin from the GOP?). Also, a concerted effort should be made to have a more diverse slate of candidates.

By changing its platform in these ways the GOP could lay the foundations for a diverse base, one that could be used for long term electoral success.

First off, Strawman much?

Secondly, you guys can't win on your current positions so you say you should become the Democratic Party, Jr.TM?  I just got a few words on that:

Go ahead. Maybe someday you guys might even win the award for Miss Congeniality.

EDIT: Maybe you'll even become Prom Queen and the Democrats will get to Home Base!.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 05:51:17 PM »

For the sake of the Democratic Party, I really hope the Republicans never do any of this, because it would make our job a lot harder.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 02:17:08 PM »

The idea that the Republicans need to stop being "socially conservative" is ridiculous. Because there's absolutely nothing that suggests young Americans are more liberal on social issues (excluding gay marriage, marijuana, and immigration which I guess we can cede the first two and the latter will go away. ), even though young Americans are more Democratic.

Normally, I would suggest going more economically moderate, but the economy is going to be so screwed up in a generation or two, that what is right and left might get a little messy. Though I do suspect austerity will be...a factor.
gsmiro
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: 4.45

P P
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 09:51:42 PM »

With the changing demographics and the shifting of moral values through public educations, the social conservatives, i.e. Christians, has become the minorities and will be continued to be ostracized in the public arena.  Republicans will continue to suffer decline, because it is losing one of the 3 support beams, the social conservatives.  So I think Republicans will shift towards more libertarian ideas, since that is proven to be popular with the young people (see Ron Paul).  So eventually, the current Republican would align more and more with the Libertarian party, perhaps with the only difference being slightly more social conservative or still pays lip services to the traditional Judeo-Christian moral values.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 12:18:59 AM »

frankly the way for republicans to win is to focus on social issues especially in the minority communities.  If they don't do that they will be extinct in a few years because demographically.  Blacks and Hispanics will be to numerous for the GOP to ever win.  Giving in a bit on immigration and focusing on primarily on social issues in minority areas especially gay marriage and abortion will help them win enough in the minority communities to become a viable party for quite a while.  Giving up on gay marriage is idiotic gays vote over 90% democrat even when the Republican is just as EVIL on gay marriage .(look at gay areas and it's obvious despite the lies in the polls) 

personally I find it pathetic liberal democrats always dictate the Republicans viability and it almost never works when the Republicans follow their suicidal advise.

Opposition to gay marriage isn't a winning issue in minority communities either. Blacks have swung heavily in favor of it since Obama's endorsement, and blacks under 30 are as likely as whites to support it.
Spanish Moss
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 04:03:21 AM »

Christians, has become the minorities and will be continued to be ostracized in the public arena. 

Ha... I'd like to see some meaningful evidence of this.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2012, 09:34:26 PM »

Christians, has become the minorities and will be continued to be ostracized in the public arena. 

Ha... I'd like to see some meaningful evidence of this.

Outside of the USA, maybe. American Christians have no idea how good they have it. Try being a conservative Christian in the UK maybe, and you'll see ostracism.
Hanzo
Rookie
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2012, 12:11:44 PM »

First off, Strawman much?

Secondly, you guys can't win on your current positions so you say you should become the Democratic Party, Jr.TM?  

So the GOP shouldn't change at all? It's people like you that make the party not want to change. Is Democratic Party Jr code word for "Republicans seen with gays, ethnics and everyone else?"
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2012, 12:33:26 PM »

Opposition to gay marriage isn't a winning issue in minority communities either. Blacks have swung heavily in favor of it since Obama's endorsement, and blacks under 30 are as likely as whites to support it.

Let's see what happens in Maryland first before making this claim.  Experience has taught us that most of the opposition within the Democratic Party to gay marriage has been from racial/ethnic minorities.  And given that Maryland has the largest proportion of blacks of any state outside the Deep South, it will be a test case on whether blacks have truly changed their minds on the issue.  I have yet to be convinced of it.   
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2012, 03:54:02 PM »

Just to note: There's a concrete reason why the Republican Party, traditionally the party more enthusiastically backed by business interests, has been taken over by the Religious Right. While the average conservatively religious American is neither affluent nor politically active (besides voting, and even that is often abstained from too), the people who make up the activist and organizational "base" of the religious right are usually solidly middle-class, often upper-middle class, and some would qualify as being rich.

Affluent and upwardly mobile people have tended to vote Republican in the past, so that in itself wasn't a novel development; what was novel was the growing wealth and education of significant segments of the conservative evangelical denominations (or non-denominations), mostly in the South, Midwest, and West. With wealth and education comes growing social awareness and, for some inclined, political activism.

This is why the Republican Party is now religiously (Christian) conservative, as well as economically right-wing.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies