Obama on Citizens United
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:04:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama on Citizens United
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama on Citizens United  (Read 509 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 29, 2012, 09:04:04 PM »

I really wish this were a bigger part of the campaign.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/z1c9z/i_am_barack_obama_president_of_the_united_states/
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 09:17:30 PM »

Certainly the amendment would be a very wrong move. As for disclosure, I'm leaning for it; I think the good effects would outweigh the bad ones.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 11:31:17 PM »
« Edited: August 29, 2012, 11:34:56 PM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

80% of Americans opposed the ruling, including 65% who strongly opposed. I wonder if the numbers would be even stronger for the recent ruling where they threw out a century old Montana law on campaign finance. That law was passed by voters in response to corrupt mining interests. The 5 right-wingers on the court want to take us back to the robber baron era.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 11:39:08 PM »

Passing that amendment is something that would be VERY hard to do.  I'd support it, but he can't champion that while he's President - it's just not reasonable (and it'd probably jeopardize the passage of the amendment).
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 11:55:07 PM »

Yeah, as he slurps happily from the billionaire New York teet in his massively unprecedented assault on his opponent. Roll Eyes what a visionary example of decency and honesty
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 12:35:04 PM »

Yeah, as he slurps happily from the billionaire New York teet in his massively unprecedented assault on his opponent. Roll Eyes what a visionary example of decency and honesty

You don't think he would vote in favor of an amendment reversing Citizens United if he were in Congress?

You don't think he'd sign the DISCLOSE act of it came across his desk?

Look at the numbers & fundraising of the SuperPAC's on Obama's side and then look at the numbers & fundraising on the Romney side and tell me they're the same. Obama and Democrats have participated in the system, yes. Have they do the same degree-- no.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 01:13:03 PM »

Oh, I suppose that makes everything o.k.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 05:58:11 PM »

Right
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 09:41:32 AM »

He is just calling for Disclosure and anti-bundling legislation in the near term, and a movement for a Constitutional amendment down the road, even if it doesn't pass, to get the public talking about the issue more.

I do understand the rationale for the constitutional arguments supporting CU.  But the whole thing still strikes me as really dreadful, with the added influence both corporations and unions get through it.   I mean, these organizations already have immensely more power and influence than anybody else over the political process in all kinds of ways, lobbying, endorsements, campaign support, ect, ect.  SCOTUS judges looked at the American political configuration and found it unjust that these groups don't have even more power than they already do?  Good Lord.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies