$165 million
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:49:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  $165 million
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: $165 million  (Read 1683 times)
pepper11
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 24, 2012, 10:08:44 PM »

According to the Wall Street Journal, Romney will have an additional 165 million dollars to spend starting this coming Thursday. This is just an insane incredible amount that is apparently going to be used almost exclusively on TV ads.  Considering its close to a tie ball game headed into the conventions, this is going to give Romney a huge advantage headed into the homestretch. Looks like all his extra fundraising is going to pay off.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443713704577599560735951198.html
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 10:09:27 PM »

More money is always good, as long its not from the government.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 10:10:50 PM »

Romney may be able to literally buy the election with his huge monetary advantage over the incumbent.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 10:12:34 PM »

If he buys this off and Citizens United isn't repealed, I'm going to punch a Republican congressman.
pepper11
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 10:12:54 PM »

Romney may be able to literally buy the election with his huge monetary advantage over the incumbent.

No one seemed to say Obama bought his election in 2008, even though he had a huge money advantage.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 10:18:43 PM »

Doesn't matter how much you raise but how you spend it. Just ask Linda McMahon, Meg Whitman or Carly Fiorina.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 10:21:07 PM »

Doesn't matter how much you raise but how you spend it. Just ask Linda McMahon, Meg Whitman or Carly Fiorina.
It's enough money to bury Obama he won't be able to crawl out to run the country a 2nd term.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 10:21:50 PM »

No one seemed to care about "buying an election" back in 2008.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 10:23:06 PM »

If he buys this off and Citizens United isn't repealed, I'm going to punch a Republican congressman.
If you want to go to jail, do so. I suggest you refrain from that idea.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 10:27:09 PM »

This is good Smiley
LiberalJunkie
LiberalJunkie99
Canada

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 10:30:40 PM »

Obama didn't buy it in 2008, the Republicans handed it to him.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 10:39:57 PM »

Of course, Obama will also have general election money that he'll be able to access once he's formally nominated.  How much does he have, relative to Romney's $165 million?
pepper11
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 10:41:44 PM »

Article did not say. Would be good to know as I couldn't find that info.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 10:48:44 PM »

Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 10:54:03 PM »

I'm not saying Romney will buy the election, I'm saying he very well could with his advantage.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2012, 10:57:35 PM »

I do believe that this is not "new money" but money already already listed in his fundraising reports that he was unable to spend until after the convention (I also believe a large portion is actually RNC money).
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2012, 11:05:20 PM »

I do believe that this is not "new money" but money already already listed in his fundraising reports that he was unable to spend until after the convention (I also believe a large portion is actually RNC money).

Yes, it's money that he's been raising throughout the campaign, but that was donated to his general election fund, so he's only able to use it once he's the official party nominee.  Whether the various news articles reporting on his past fundraising have actually distinguished between the primary $ and the general election $, I don't know.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2012, 11:16:38 PM »

Yes, it's money that he's been raising throughout the campaign, but that was donated to his general election fund, so he's only able to use it once he's the official party nominee.  Whether the various news articles reporting on his past fundraising have actually distinguished between the primary $ and the general election $, I don't know.

The media has been reporting what is in the FEC reports which cover both Primary and General election fundraising.

BTW if you look at the posted WSJ article (at least the free portion) it does not say that Romney could not use the whole $165 until after the Convention, just that he will hill have $165 mill available after the convention and that "A substantial portion of that is money that Mr. Romney has so far not been able to touch, because it was donated specifically for the general election."

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2012, 12:01:03 AM »

The massive amounts of money in politics are a shame no matter which candidate it's for. It doesn't matter if you're a Democrat, Republican, libertarian, independent, or whatnot. Unless you have tens of millions of dollars to drop on an election, it directly decreases the potential influence that you can have in politics and so it's inimical to your interests.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2012, 12:03:54 AM »

The massive amounts of money in politics are a shame no matter which candidate it's for. It doesn't matter if you're a Democrat, Republican, libertarian, independent, or whatnot. Unless you have tens of millions of dollars to drop on an election, it directly decreases the potential influence that you can have in politics and so it's inimical to your interests.

I completely agree and is the main factor that caused me to shy away from my dreams of being a politician myself.  In order to run for the Oklahoma State House of Representatives, you'd better have $1 million just laying around ready to drop.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2012, 12:09:19 AM »

I completely agree and is the main factor that caused me to shy away from my dreams of being a politician myself.  In order to run for the Oklahoma State House of Representatives, you'd better have $1 million just laying around ready to drop.

That's a lot of vacuum cleaners to sell.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2012, 12:22:46 AM »

That's a lot of vacuum cleaners to sell.

LOL
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2012, 02:25:07 AM »

I recall reading through a study that found that spending more money really didn't increase your total share of the vote. Fundraising more money probably means you'll have a higher share of the vote, but higher fundraising totals usually signify higher amounts of support (see Obama, 2008). So if both candidates have lots of money (see: every presidential race), I don't really read into it. So much demagoguery about Citizens United.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2012, 02:31:24 AM »

I recall reading through a study that found that spending more money really didn't increase your total share of the vote. Fundraising more money probably means you'll have a higher share of the vote, but higher fundraising totals usually signify higher amounts of support (see Obama, 2008). So if both candidates have lots of money (see: every presidential race), I don't really read into it. So much demagoguery about Citizens United.

Welcome to the forum!!

I do tend to agree with you that money isn't everything in a campaign of any level.  It is just a huge determining factor of how you can portray your opponent.  Since most campaign ads are now talking bad about the other guy instead of talking about your plans, money is even more important.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2012, 03:09:39 AM »

Welcome to the forum!!

I do tend to agree with you that money isn't everything in a campaign of any level.  It is just a huge determining factor of how you can portray your opponent.  Since most campaign ads are now talking bad about the other guy instead of talking about your plans, money is even more important.

Thanks!

But there's so much money on the federal level, does it really matter? At a certain point, the market gets saturated. And just the making of ads often propels them into the spotlight. Like Obama's "ROMNEY KILLED PEOPLE" ad got news attention even before it was actually run in any state.

I think the study assigned about 1% extra for every time a candidate got outspent their opponent by a margin of 2. So outspending someone 8x only gave a candidate 3%. On the presidential level, where every candidate gets a lot of money, I think this would matter even less.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies