Huckabee unleashes on GOP Establishment - Could he go rogue at RNC?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:29:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Huckabee unleashes on GOP Establishment - Could he go rogue at RNC?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Huckabee unleashes on GOP Establishment - Could he go rogue at RNC?  (Read 9027 times)
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 23, 2012, 09:33:31 PM »
« edited: August 23, 2012, 09:49:13 PM by Legitimate Voter »

Mike Huckabee was once considered the favorite for the nomination this year but he decided to keep his job on Fox. That being said a couple weeks ago with Chick Fil A he showed that he is the defacto leader of the Evangelical wing of the party....and now he is pissed.

Huckabee was the guy who backed Todd Akin in the GOP MO primary, against the party establishment. He has also done all he can this week to back Akin up. And today he fired off an email to his supporters that opened up a can of whoopass on the party. Here is just a taste:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

As we know Huck has no love for Mitt (read more on that HERE). And earlier this year (during the primary) Romney was on Huckabee's show and said he would "absolutely" back personhood  amendment. But since then Romney has backpedaled on that. Plus he allows for rape exceptions and lets face it, he used to be pro choice....so essentially he lied to Huck's face.

So what will Huck do on Monday? He has a prime time slot. He is the second headliner next to Anne Romney. Is he going to go all in on Akin and on personhood and human life amendment and all the things that Romney doesn't want to talk about? Will he give Romney more than a half-hearted endorsement?

Could this be Pat Buchanan 'Culture War' 1992 speech all over again?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 09:39:19 PM »

This is awesome.  I never thought I'd see a revolt of the Religious Right against the GOP.  By all means, let the Republican Civil War begin. 

I wonder if there is any likelihood of Mike Huckabee running as an independent against Mitt Romney this November -someone credible has to stand up for the Religious Right after all.  Clearly Mitt Romney ain't it. 
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 09:40:24 PM »

I doubt it, Huckabee may not care for Romney, but he has a bigger target in mind, the target currently occupies the Oval Office.  He wants Obama out so Romney can potentially try to get a Republican Congress and try to repeal Obamacare.  He, like many non-Winfield Republicans, would rather have someone else besides Romney at the top of the ticket, but they'll take what they can get.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 09:45:20 PM »

BTW, Huckabee didn't endorse Romney until late May (after everyone dropped out)....and does this sound like he loves Romney:

http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/huckabee-endorses-romney/2012/05/31/id/440792
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 09:45:37 PM »

I doubt it, Huckabee may not care for Romney, but he has a bigger target in mind, the target currently occupies the Oval Office.  He wants Obama out so Romney can potentially try to get a Republican Congress and try to repeal Obamacare.  He, like many non-Winfield Republicans, would rather have someone else besides Romney at the top of the ticket, but they'll take what they can get.

Up until recently I would have agreed with you, but this ruckus over Todd Akin may have the potential of overturning this piece of Conventional Wisdom if it hasn't already.  
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 09:48:09 PM »

Huckabee and I never agreed on much of anything, and that template remains intact. He's useless.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 09:49:10 PM »

....so essentially he lied to Huck's face.

Anybody who believes a word Mitt says has nothing to complain about...
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 09:49:35 PM »

Up until recently I would have agreed with you, but this ruckus over Todd Akin may have the potential of overturning this piece of Conventional Wisdom if it hasn't already.  

It's true Akin is a potential IED within the Republican Party right now, but I think the establishment will eventually back down and fund Akin and see him become the next Senator from Missouri.  I still think Akin has an excellent shot.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 09:50:05 PM »

....so essentially he lied to Huck's face.

Anybody who believes a word Mitt says has nothing to complain about...

Same goes with almost any politician.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 09:51:59 PM »

Hmmm... Huck "going rogue" would at least make this race more entertaining, if not introduce a real protagonist into the race. However, as tepid as I am towards Romney, I'd still call myself "invested" in him, even though I don't expect a win. So I'd say a very unenthusiastic "no" to a Huck "Rogue-Going".
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 09:58:17 PM »

As fun as a Huck third-party candidacy would be (and would result in a 1912 repeat), it probably won't happen.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 09:59:43 PM »

I'm on Huck's side.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 10:01:29 PM »

This is awesome.  I never thought I'd see a revolt of the Religious Right against the GOP.  By all means, let the Republican Civil War begin. 

I wonder if there is any likelihood of Mike Huckabee running as an independent against Mitt Romney this November -someone credible has to stand up for the Religious Right after all.  Clearly Mitt Romney ain't it. 

As fun as a Huck third-party candidacy would be (and would result in a 1912 repeat), it probably won't happen.

I'm sure it's far too late for him to secure ballot access at this point.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 10:03:49 PM »
« Edited: August 23, 2012, 10:06:33 PM by Legitimate Voter »

I dont think he is going 3rd party. My point was, will his speech be what Romney wants or is he going to go off message and/or not really give Romney the support he needs for the evangelicals. Also there is the issue of what Huckabee says to the media. You can be sure that he is willing to take questions about Akin, as Akin is his boy. He will also be sure to talk about Abortion and rape. Huckabee is the guy that pushes this notion of 'forcible rape' definition. Remember it was Huckabee that apparently convinced Perry to drop being open to exceptions of rape and incest after watching a movie Huckabee made about how women should have their rape babies.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 10:06:28 PM »

I'm sure it's far too late for him to secure ballot access at this point.

He'd have to do it right after the convention in some states. In most, he'd probably go for a write-in candidacy.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 10:08:26 PM »

It's true Akin is a potential IED within the Republican Party right now, but I think the establishment will eventually back down and fund Akin and see him become the next Senator from Missouri.  I still think Akin has an excellent shot.

Haha, no.
PittsburghSean
Rookie
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2012, 10:13:59 PM »

I've said it once and said it again: this Akin character needs to step out of the race because I think it is appalling that anyone as nuts as that would run anywhere in this country. That said, Huckabee isn't wrong in some of what he said. He basically is implying the party bosses are trying to kick him out. Akin did win the nomination, so no one should force him out except the voters of Missouri if they feel the need to do that. But Akin should voluntarily get out of the race.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2012, 10:25:07 PM »
« Edited: August 24, 2012, 12:12:52 AM by Mr. Morden »

Everyone invited to speak at the convention has their speeches vetted by the Romney campaign, though it's of course possible for someone to go off-script.

Btw, back in 1998, there was a similar "rapes don't result in pregnancies" controversy in Arkansas, and Huckabee defended the guy (Fay Boozman, brother of the current US Senator), and gave him a job.  Not just gave the guy a job, but put him in charge of the state's Department of Health(!):

link

Can you imagine what would be happening now if Huckabee had run this year, and gotten the GOP nomination?  The Akin thing would stick to Huck without much difficulty, because of his past actions with Boozman.

In any case, this combined with the Clemmons pardon should end any talk of Huckabee having a chance at winning the GOP presidential nomination in 2016 or beyond.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2012, 10:27:24 PM »

Akin should get to speak at the convention.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2012, 10:29:41 PM »

Can we still try and deny Romney a majority on the first ballot and nominate Akin in a brokered convention?
BigSkyBob

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2012, 11:01:55 PM »

Huckabee and I never agreed on much of anything, and that template remains intact. He's useless.

While I have my differences with Huckabee on issues such as "comprehensive immigration reform," the assertion that he is "useless" is beyond the pale. Maybe, he isn't "useful" to further your agenda, but, he doesn't exist for your sake. Best as I can figure it, he believes that he exists for the sake of himself, his family, his country and his God Jesus Christ. I don't think he considers himself "useless." I don't think his family considers him "useless." I suspect the folks in Arkansas have some gratitude for his public service as governor. Certainly, the folks whom subscribe to his e-letters don't find it "useless" time spent reading. Nor, do I think you are in any position to render final judgment on the man.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2012, 11:12:02 PM »

I am sure the victims of the SOB, who he released from jail through his excessively lax clemency policies, find him to have been useful as Governor.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2012, 11:21:34 PM »

Btw, back in 1998, there was a similar "rapes don't result in pregnancies" controversy in Arkansas, and Huckabee defended the guy (Fay Boozman, brother of the current US Senator), and gave him a job.  Not just gave the guy a job, but put him charge of the state's Department of Health(!):

Wow.  Just, you know, wow.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2012, 11:31:48 PM »

While I have my differences with Huckabee on issues such as "comprehensive immigration reform," the assertion that he is "useless" is beyond the pale. Maybe, he isn't "useful" to further your agenda, but, he doesn't exist for your sake. Best as I can figure it, he believes that he exists for the sake of himself, his family, his country and his God Jesus Christ. I don't think he considers himself "useless." I don't think his family considers him "useless." I suspect the folks in Arkansas have some gratitude for his public service as governor. Certainly, the folks whom subscribe to his e-letters don't find it "useless" time spent reading. Nor, do I think you are in any position to render final judgment on the man.

Yes, my opinion of Huckabee is my own subjective opinion. I am sure others hold him in high esteem. I just don't agree with much of anything that comes out of his mouth, including his protectionist tendencies. I also don't consider him a very deep thinker, smart as he is.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2012, 12:09:01 AM »
« Edited: August 24, 2012, 12:23:48 AM by BigSkyBob »

Yes, my opinion of Huckabee is my own subjective opinion.

You have an amazing ability to couch personal subjective opinions in the language of ex cathedra pronouncements.

Todd Akins believes something about human biology that isn't true.

Claire McCaskill cast the decisive vote for Obamacare.

Huckabee has a point there, no?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies