Will Akin distract Romney/Ryan's pre RNC week?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 10:25:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Will Akin distract Romney/Ryan's pre RNC week?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Will Akin distract Romney/Ryan's pre RNC week?  (Read 5201 times)
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 20, 2012, 12:22:00 PM »
« edited: August 20, 2012, 02:13:34 PM by Shirtless Voter »

If you haven't heard, GOP MO Sen nominee Todd Akin said something really stupid about rape and abortion over the weekend, noting that victims of "legitimate rape" don't get pregnant due to some mumbo jumbo about women's bodies rejecting rape sperm or something.

Anyway Romney/Ryan campaign condemned the remark, but is that the end of it? In their comments the campaign said that Romney/Ryan were not against abortion in the case of rape. However, Ryan actually has been against the rape exception in the past and he co-sponsored legislation with Aiken which tried to redefine rape (to just "forcible rape"). Ryan is also a co-sponsor of the "Sanctity of Human Life Act", which gives "all the legal and constitutional attributes of personhood" to fertilized eggs (essentially outlawing all abortions and some forms of birth control and in vitro fertilization).

This thing could end up as a big distraction between now and the RNC with ROmney/Ryan spending a week talking about abortion, rape, IVF, Personhood, etc. Things that they probably don't want to be talking about. You can bet the Dems are going to use this opportunity to try and run up the score on their gender gap.
MorningInAmerica
polijunkie3057
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: 0.52

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 01:40:38 PM »
« Edited: August 20, 2012, 01:42:50 PM by MorningInAmerica »

If you haven't heard, GOP MO Sen nominee Todd Aiken said something really stupid about rape and abortion over the weekend, noting that victims of "legitimate rape" don't get pregnant due to some mumbo jumbo about women's bodies rejecting rape sperm or something.

Anyway Romney/Ryan campaign condemned the remark, but is that the end of it? In their comments the campaign said that Romney/Ryan were not against abortion in the case of rape. However, Ryan actually has been against the rape exception in the past and he co-sponsored legislation with Aiken which tried to redefine rape (to just "forcible rape"). Ryan is also a co-sponsor of the "Sanctity of Human Life Act", which gives "all the legal and constitutional attributes of personhood" to fertilized eggs (essentially outlawing all abortions and some forms of birth control and in vitro fertilization).

This thing could end up as a big distraction between now and the RNC with ROmney/Ryan spending a week talking about abortion, rape, IVF, Personhood, etc. Things that they probably don't want to be talking about. You can bet the Dems are going to use this opportunity to try and run up the score on their gender gap.

Looks like Akin's out.

Erick Erickson, the head of RedState, has just tweeted this.
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Will be interesting to see if this is true.
MorningInAmerica
polijunkie3057
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 01:42:12 PM »
« Edited: August 20, 2012, 01:49:15 PM by MorningInAmerica »

Well known University of Virginia political scientist Larry Sabato makes a good  point about the Missouri GOP (which gets to decide who Akin's replacement is in event of his withdrawal):

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 01:43:11 PM »

Is that an actual sourced theory or just pure speculation?
MorningInAmerica
polijunkie3057
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 01:46:55 PM »
« Edited: August 20, 2012, 01:50:34 PM by MorningInAmerica »

Not sure, but Buzzfeed.com writer Andrew Kacynski is confirming too that Todd Akin will withdraw from the MO sen race. The GOP could really be saving themselves here if that is true. Akin is finished after his comments.

Buzzfeed now how a link: http://www.buzzfeed.com/bensmith/republican-source-akin-moving-to-withdraw

Really, if he withdraws, what will the media talk about for the rest of the week?
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 01:56:05 PM »

I suspect he will drop out, although Romney hasn't joined other republicans calling for him to pull out. It seems to be an opportunity for him to do so but maybe he is afraid of pissing off social conservatives. The Family Research Council is now coming to Akin's defense.

But even if he drops out, I still suspect that the media are going to start asking Romney/Ryan about personhood, abortion and rape.
MorningInAmerica
polijunkie3057
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 02:03:31 PM »

This is shaping up to be a real sh*t storm. Last thing RNC wants is a public fight with Akin. But they may get it according to Politico: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0812/79889.html?hp=t1_3
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 02:04:28 PM »

I suspect he will drop out, although Romney hasn't joined other republicans calling for him to pull out. It seems to be an opportunity for him to do so but maybe he is afraid of pissing off social conservatives. The Family Research Council is now coming to Akin's defense.

But even if he drops out, I still suspect that the media are going to start asking Romney/Ryan about personhood, abortion and rape.

I read somewhere earlier that Romney privately called Akin asking him to consider withdrawing. I don't know if it's true or not.

This story will go away in a day or two - in the grand scheme of things, it may be a blessing in disguise, as now we will be able to nominate someone like Talent, Brunner, or Steelman who would easily defeat McCaskill.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 02:09:30 PM »

If Akin stays this will certainly distract the week. If some republicans are backing akin and others are calling him to pull out Romney should pick a side publicly. But I suspect he will try and go down the middle and condemn his comments but stop short of calling for him to pull out (which is where he is now).
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 02:11:19 PM »

I understood his comment more as "women are able do deal (psychologically) with being raped and getting pregnant because of it and handle this as well".

Not as "women who get raped have sperm-killing stuff, preventing pregnancies".

Anyway, it would be good for us if he stays in. Much more winnable than let's say Steelman jumps in.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 02:16:12 PM »

If Akin pulls out then no. The MO GOP can have their pick of Brunner/Steelman/Talent/Blunt/Graves.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 02:18:49 PM »

I understood his comment more as "women are able do deal (psychologically) with being raped and getting pregnant because of it and handle this as well".

Anyway, it would be good for us if he stays in. Much more winnable than let's say Steelman jumps in.

He said "from what I understand from doctors, if it is a legitimate rape, the female body has ways of shutting that down"

It seems pretty clear...women (when they were 'legitimately raped', whatever that means) have some capability of not getting pregnant. If we are talking stats, apparently 5% of rapes result in pregnancy.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 02:22:09 PM »

He said "from what I understand from doctors, if it is a legitimate rape, the female body has ways of shutting that down"

It seems pretty clear...women (when they were 'legitimately raped', whatever that means) have some capability of not getting pregnant. If we are talking stats, apparently 5% of rapes result in pregnancy.

No, by "shutting it down" he could have meant that women psychologically can supress the act of being raped. Not that it would make his comment much better, probably even worse and misogynistic, as he implies that being raped can be overcome by "strong women" and that abortion is not needed in such a case.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 02:26:21 PM »
« Edited: August 20, 2012, 02:27:59 PM by Shirtless Voter »

No, by "shutting it down" he could have meant that women psychologically can supress the act of being raped. Not that it would make his comment much better, probably even worse and misogynistic, as he implies that being raped can be overcome by "strong women" and that abortion is not needed in such a case.

I havent seen anyone interpret it that way. Not even he is defending it that way.

I've talked to a couple of women (including one who is pro-life) about this and nothing infuriates them more than watching some old male politician talking about their bodies. This is why so far only Mike Huckabee and the Family Research Council are the only ones who seem to be on this guys side
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 02:28:37 PM »

Now Akin is tweeting that he's staying in while consultants say otherwise. One huge clusterfark.

Twitter now saying that replacements being floated by the MO GOP are Talent, Schweich and Bond.
MorningInAmerica
polijunkie3057
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2012, 02:29:45 PM »

Yep, he's saying for now that he's staying in.  We'll see how long this lasts:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444443504577601481043101626.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2012, 02:30:39 PM »

God, I hope he stays in.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2012, 02:36:37 PM »

Brunner/Talent/Schweich are all being considered. Any of them would be a slam dunk.

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/gop-source-gop-officials-looking-to-replace-akin
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2012, 02:52:37 PM »

Yep, he's saying for now that he's staying in.  We'll see how long this lasts:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444443504577601481043101626.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

He only has like a day or two of being able to drop out. If he doesn't, Democrats keep the Senate.
pepper11
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2012, 03:24:45 PM »

Talking Points memo says he is out. Fingers crossed!
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2012, 03:29:24 PM »

Well TPM is just reporting that the party wants him out  but he is saying he is staying in. There is no indication he can be kicked out, so it is up to him.

I think by the end of the day Romney should call for him to drop out. What does he have to lose? It doesnt take a lot of courage now as many other republicans have already done it.
pepper11
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2012, 03:31:57 PM »

Well TPM is just reporting that the party wants him out  but he is saying he is staying in. There is no indication he can be kicked out, so it is up to him.

I think by the end of the day Romney should call for him to drop out. What does he have to lose? It doesnt take a lot of courage now as many other republicans have already done it.

They are saying he is out...Unconfirmed however.

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/reports-akin-advisors-make-preparations-for-withdrawal-tomorrow
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2012, 03:34:00 PM »

Twitter now saying that replacements being floated by the MO GOP are Talent, Schweich and Bond.

Would be great to see Kit Bond back in the Senate, pull a Lautenberg...is he really being considered?
pepper11
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2012, 03:36:20 PM »

I dont care who they put there. Just get the man out. Running no one would be better for the GOP.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2012, 03:40:29 PM »
« Edited: August 20, 2012, 03:43:05 PM by Vosem »

I dont care who they put there. Just get the man out. Running no one would be better for the GOP.

True enough. But in the scheme of who's the best replacement...if they can't get a popular elder statesman (John Danforth or Kit Bond), they should probably put in a woman against McCaskill, for the symbolism...Sarah Steelman or Jo Ann Emerson. John Brunner would probably be a logical choice too, since he came in second, but his candidacy would probably be affected negatively by Akin's remarks too, in a way an elder statesman or woman wouldn't be.

Some more females: Vicky Hartzler (probably too frosh), Ann Wagner (running for the House), Phyllis Schlafly (may be too old, has eschewed electoral politics, very controversial, but would make for a great election).
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies