Who would be the best candidate to replace Romney and why?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:45:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Who would be the best candidate to replace Romney and why?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Who would be the best candidate to replace Romney and why?  (Read 1423 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 18, 2012, 10:02:34 PM »

The nomination of Romney as presidential candidate has not officially taken place, and his candidacy has suffered many setbacks and leaks by worried Republicans since it began. If he were to step aside or be encouraged to step down in favor of a different Republican, who would it be, and why?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 10:05:02 PM »

To answer my own question: Paul Ryan would be the obvious candidate to assume leadership of the presidential campaign.

I do not think past challengers like Santorum, Gingrich, or Trump would be seriously considered because they have already been defeated by Romney and would only do worse in the general election. Even though each led in the polls in the primary season at one time. (I don't think Bachmann ever led a poll, but I could be wrong.)

Sarah Palin would be a dark horse candidate, but I think cooler heads would prevail. Does Jeb! jump in?
milhouse24
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 10:08:22 PM »

The better question is who should replace Obama on the Dem ticket.  Perhaps Hillary.

I think there should be a thread about that as well. 
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 10:12:54 PM »

Condi Rice would be almost perfect in my opinion. I think Ryan would be percieved as too young. I dont even want to think of Gingrich or Santorum returning just becuase of how they polled nationally in the General Election. Jeb Bush could work....... the more I think about this the more I realize there really is no one who would realistically take the position. The other candidates from the race have all had problems in their campaigns at various points.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 10:16:21 PM »

Probably Santorum.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 10:17:18 PM »

milhouse, who do you think would be the Republicans' best hope to lead their campaign this year if Romney's high unfavorables drive him out before Tampa? Lots of Republican leaders, governors, senators (in fact, pretty much all of them except Rick Scott and the guys who already lost to Romney in the primaries) have lower unfavorables than Romney.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 10:28:31 PM »

Governor Chris Christie of New Jersey.

He would really take it to the Democrats.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 10:32:09 PM »

Governor Chris Christie of New Jersey.

He would really take it to the Democrats.

That's a great thought--I could see Christie jumping in, and he certainly would run hot and angry against Obama.
milhouse24
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 11:41:41 PM »

milhouse, who do you think would be the Republicans' best hope to lead their campaign this year if Romney's high unfavorables drive him out before Tampa? Lots of Republican leaders, governors, senators (in fact, pretty much all of them except Rick Scott and the guys who already lost to Romney in the primaries) have lower unfavorables than Romney.

Your thread is idiotic hackery because the Republican primary just happened a few months ago. 
You're just a proud liberal hack who is upset at the recent talk about replacing Biden on the ticket. 
This has nothing to do with replacing Romney, which has been discussed for the past several months. 
If by some reason Romney could not fulfill the ticket, then the convention rules would dictate the 2nd runner up total would take the spot on the ticket. 
But you're just a Liberal Hack who is just putting up useless posts in order to fill up the forum pages of Liberal Attack posts, instead of discussing relevent recent current events. 

I'm actually surprised that the Mods haven't deleted this thread for its pure Liberal Hackery, but you might be freinds with the liberal mods, so maybe they want you to continue posting your "waste of space" threads.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 11:50:22 PM »

The nomination of Romney as presidential candidate has not officially taken place, and his candidacy has suffered many setbacks and leaks by worried Republicans since it began. If he were to step aside or be encouraged to step down in favor of a different Republican, who would it be, and why?

Why would they do that when, according to Gallup, Romney is ahead of Obama and doing better than Obama in August 2008 and Bush in August 2004?
Cobbler
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 01:33:49 AM »

If we are talking about who the strongest candidate would be, probably Christie. He'd be aggressive, but people would see him as sincere and someone that seriously wants to get things done.

If we are talking about who best represents the GOP right now, I'd probably say Paul Ryan. He's the man that I think kind of captures the "soul" of the party right now.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 02:09:12 AM »

If we are talking about who the strongest candidate would be, probably Christie. He'd be aggressive, but people would see him as sincere and someone that seriously wants to get things done.

If we are talking about who best represents the GOP right now, I'd probably say Paul Ryan. He's the man that I think kind of captures the "soul" of the party right now.

If something unfortunate were to happen to Mitt (which is the only reason he would be replaced now, not politics) then Ryan would probably get the nod now.
Svensson
NVTownsend

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 02:22:23 AM »

Christie, McDonnell, or Ryan himself.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 04:01:36 AM »

I don't think Christie would jump in. He had his golden opportunity at the end of last year and didn't take it.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 07:04:53 AM »

Why would they do that when, according to Gallup, Romney is ahead of Obama and doing better than Obama in August 2008 and Bush in August 2004?

Romney's disappointing performance in most other polls, his mishandling of the tax issue and Romneycare, lack of trust in his conservative bona fides, panic among some who believe a second Obama term will lead to the complete destruction of America as we descend into Stalinist stagnation. You underestimate the panic and concern among the Republican base and the smoky back room.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2012, 07:10:47 AM »
« Edited: August 19, 2012, 07:16:09 AM by brittain33 »

If by some reason Romney could not fulfill the ticket, then the convention rules would dictate the 2nd runner up total would take the spot on the ticket.  

That's a good idea. I forget, would that be Santorum or Dr. Paul? I am skeptical that rule would be observed and they wouldn't choose a viable candidate instead.

Who do you think would be stronger than Romney?
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2012, 11:07:33 AM »

Even if say Romney's tax returns leaked and it turned out there were several years he paid no taxes and his polling collapsed and some Republicans called for a new nominee, I don't see logistically how he is denied the nomination.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2012, 11:26:05 AM »

Even if say Romney's tax returns leaked and it turned out there were several years he paid no taxes and his polling collapsed and some Republicans called for a new nominee, I don't see logistically how he is denied the nomination.

I agree--both this and the Biden threads are unlikely speculation. But it's not impossible.
Dumbo
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2012, 12:44:34 PM »

Only medical problems could change the tickets.
In 1972 democratic VP candidate Thomas Eagleton was
replaced by Sargent Shriver because Eagleton
had depressions.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2012, 12:45:37 PM »

From a hack standpoint, Paul Ryan.  You couldn't make this election a clearer choice between two candidates.  If he loses, there is no way the Tea Partiers could claim that the nominee wasn't conservative enough.  
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2012, 12:47:46 PM »

From a hack standpoint, Paul Ryan.  You couldn't make this election a clearer choice between two candidates.  If he loses, there is no way the Tea Partiers could claim that the nominee wasn't conservative enough.  
Trust me, they would find reasons. First, he's not evangelical. Second, he voted for TARP. That right there is enough for them to brand him a RINO and the reason for defeat.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2012, 01:50:32 PM »

HUNTSMAN
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2012, 02:07:04 PM »

I would imagine that Paul Ryan would suddenly be the nominee, as the one with Romney and the party's blessing.

Huntsman would be a good running mate for him, as a Mormon businessman turned Governor with foreign policy experience.
Dumbo
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2012, 02:33:50 PM »

Don't the GOP supporters become angry that it is Romey/Ryan and not
Ryan/Huntsman or Christie/Ryan or Christie/Rice or Ryan/Rice, nominees
who obviously all would have better chances to beat the current
president?
Cobbler
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2012, 03:25:12 PM »

I agree that Huntsman would be one of the stronger candidates, but I also feel that against Obama, he'd probably have to explain a bit on why he's running because he worked for Obama. Otherwise, I'd put him at the top of the list.

Don't the GOP supporters become angry that it is Romey/Ryan and not
Ryan/Huntsman or Christie/Ryan or Christie/Rice or Ryan/Rice, nominees
who obviously all would have better chances to beat the current
president?

No, because I don't think Ryan is a stronger candidate than Mitt is. Christie probably is, but I certainly don't get angry over it.

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies