10 Government Jobs That Cost 100K/yr Each
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:50:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  10 Government Jobs That Cost 100K/yr Each
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 10 Government Jobs That Cost 100K/yr Each  (Read 1779 times)
BigSkyBob

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 16, 2012, 10:00:48 AM »

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/some-california-meter-maids-are-making-nearly-100k-a-year/

Parking enforcement officiers in Hermosa Beach, California. The cost of pension and medical brought their total cost to over a million dollars a year.  When politicians ask for more money, this is a large part of the reason why. They simply refuse to hold the line on costs.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 10:09:42 AM »

Though that seems high for the CSO positions, one should also account for the fact that a 40% markup on full-time positions for all the benefits is not uncommon in the private sector. Local factors also matter, so perhaps Torie can answer what full time employees with similar duties would make in Hermosa Beach. Then we can see how much might be trimmed.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 02:08:07 PM »

Your thinking is all wrong - the point here is: Good Jobs and Government Spending are Good Things!
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 07:55:28 AM »

Really, you're using The Blaze as a credible source? It is literally a propaganda site for Glenn Beck and his pet issues.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 11:57:01 AM »

Really, you're using The Blaze as a credible source? It is literally a propaganda site for Glenn Beck and his pet issues.

Which of the underlying facts asserted in the article do you believe is false?
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 12:28:24 PM »

lol @ this if these high levels of compensation are true; the government job I got interviewed for last week would pay about $5,900/yr. I would probably need three part-time jobs of this sort, or two plus a close, better-off flatmate, to be in the working class and sustainably afford a low-end apartment up north within city limits. xD
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 01:03:01 PM »

Yep. And Obama is trying to get Congress to bail out those teachers unions again, despite the fact that student:teacher ratios at a a mere 16:1, which is below what they were during the Clinton administration and far far below the 22:1 ratio of when Obama was in school.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 02:22:07 PM »

Yep. And Obama is trying to get Congress to bail out those teachers unions again, despite the fact that student:teacher ratios at a a mere 16:1, which is below what they were during the Clinton administration and far far below the 22:1 ratio of when Obama was in school.

You are a sad, deeply repressed individual.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 05:29:03 PM »

Though that seems high for the CSO positions, one should also account for the fact that a 40% markup on full-time positions for all the benefits is not uncommon in the private sector. Local factors also matter, so perhaps Torie can answer what full time employees with similar duties would make in Hermosa Beach. Then we can see how much might be trimmed.

I don't know about Hermosa Beach, but in Glendale, it seems that about everybody is grossly overpaid, with some fire fighters getting about 400K per year, with their overtime games. What I think is a very fair surmise, is that when one of these jobs comes up, there must be about 1000 applicants, with the position then obtained by someone with the right connections, with the application process mere window dressing. That is how it works out there on far too much of the Fruited Plain, albeit for not much longer hopefully.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 08:39:37 AM »

What I think is a very fair surmise, is that when one of these jobs comes up, there must be about 1000 applicants, with the position then obtained by someone with the right connections, with the application process mere window dressing. That is how it works out there on far too much of the Fruited Plain, albeit for not much longer hopefully.

What the heck?  You object to patronage?  Your neoliberal tendencies disgust me to the core.

Politicization of employment - and patronage - are essential to a good economy.
Link
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 10:37:33 AM »

All of them.

We don't have time to go googling around to debunk your garbage sources.  Get a credible unbiased source and try again.  This waste of time is the oldest trick in the politics forum business.  theblaze and other cesspools generate false stories to keep the partisan hacks well supplied with lies to tell the general public.  Quit wasting our time.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 10:42:00 AM »

What I think is a very fair surmise, is that when one of these jobs comes up, there must be about 1000 applicants, with the position then obtained by someone with the right connections, with the application process mere window dressing. That is how it works out there on far too much of the Fruited Plain, albeit for not much longer hopefully.

What the heck?  You object to patronage?  Your neoliberal tendencies disgust me to the core.

How so? I'd like to think that some form of talent-searching and meritocracy is essential to a strong economy, rather than patronage.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 01:03:42 PM »

How so? I'd like to think that some form of talent-searching and meritocracy is essential to a strong economy, rather than patronage.

Your meritocracy is precisely a fantasy, PP - a different format of politicization of employment and patronage.  A society of severe competition for everyone but the holders of capital (or in other words, competition to serve). 

The sort of Patronage represented by paying firemen a few hundred grand per year is far more salubrious for the population as a whole and the stability of the economy than your brand of patronage - State guarantees that the owners reap all the possible benefits.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 07:05:08 PM »

in Glendale, it seems that about everybody is grossly overpaid, with some fire fighters getting about 400K per year, with their overtime games.

That's not true. All figures in the link include overtime pay.
http://www.opengovernmentinglendalecalifornia.org/CoG%20Employee%20Salaries,%202006%20&%202007.htm
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 10:01:18 AM »

Holy [Inks]ing sh**t that's a lot of money. O.o
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2012, 12:13:12 PM »
« Edited: August 20, 2012, 01:39:40 PM by opebo »

Holy [Inks]ing sh**t that's a lot of money. O.o

In a properly arranged America, salaries in the $100,000 range would be the norm.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2012, 04:50:08 PM »

Why does this matter? Because taxpayers lose a minuscule amount of money? What about the trillions being drained from our pockets into those of our politicians and their corporate buddies? Perhaps a little more urgent than lowly government employees making a measly chunk of cash in super-wealthy locales.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2012, 05:01:41 PM »

if you people don't take this sort of schtick seriously why do you keep replying. jesus
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2012, 09:46:25 PM »

in Glendale, it seems that about everybody is grossly overpaid, with some fire fighters getting about 400K per year, with their overtime games.

http://www.opengovernmentinglendalecalifornia.org/CoG%20Employee%20Salaries,%202006%20&%202007.htm

Out of date, and does not include fringe benefits (add 40% to that). I have the piece of paper somewhere. If I can find it in my emails of old, I will post it. It was sent to me by a man who knows - the former chief of police of Pasadena, who in that job also ran the fire department. He now makes his living running the traps on this issue.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2012, 11:35:51 PM »

All of them.

We don't have time to go googling around to debunk your garbage sources.  Get a credible unbiased source and try again.  This waste of time is the oldest trick in the politics forum business.  theblaze and other cesspools generate false stories to keep the partisan hacks well supplied with lies to tell the general public.  Quit wasting our time.

If you have any evidence that any of the facts asserted in the article were not correct by all means share it. Attacking entire websites is a variation of the ad hominem fallacy.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2012, 03:01:46 AM »

Out of date, and does not include fringe benefits (add 40% to that). I have the piece of paper somewhere. If I can find it in my emails of old, I will post it. It was sent to me by a man who knows - the former chief of police of Pasadena, who in that job also ran the fire department. He now makes his living running the traps on this issue.
You're claiming that salaries have more than doubled in the past five years. At a time when every government agency in the country has been looking for ways to cut just about everything. I'm calling a big fat bs. Prove me wrong. Please.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2012, 06:11:23 AM »

In all seriousness, what kind of job wouldn't (shouldn't) cost $100,000/year, between salary, benefits, and retirement?

What kind of crazy world are you proposing?  It costs $50-70k/year just to raise a family in the most minimal level of frugality (anything below just leads to the creation of massive, destructive social ills), and given the madness of private health care and education, tens of thousands more for those things..
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2012, 01:32:46 PM »

Why don't we talk about the pubic employees who are really fleecing America?:

College Football coaches.

An example:
University of Washington football coach: $1.98 million/year
Governor of Washington: $166,891

...so yeah, society is messed up.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2012, 02:42:28 PM »

Why don't we talk about the pubic employees

Well, there's the problem right there.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2012, 03:49:51 PM »

Why don't we talk about the pubic employees

Well, there's the problem right there.

What? The public sector unions are vilified every election cycle nowadays. Just look at how much flak teachers and state workers get!
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies