What if a Democratic candidate for VP cited Karl Marx as a huge influence?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:15:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  What if a Democratic candidate for VP cited Karl Marx as a huge influence?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What if a Democratic candidate for VP cited Karl Marx as a huge influence?  (Read 1371 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2012, 09:31:47 PM »

Smith has brought the world greater prosperity and peace; Marx has brought the world greater oppression and war.

rofl, joke poster

You'll understand when you grow up.

You have a colossal man-crush on one of the Worst People in America (TM). You really shouldn't talk, breh.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2012, 09:32:38 PM »
« Edited: August 15, 2012, 09:37:15 PM by Nathan »

Well, I've thought it out, and I will concede that voiced and voiceless phonemes are also an example of 'polar opposites'. Add phonotactics to grammar and math. Also particle physics.

It's still not a social science.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2012, 11:02:20 PM »

Well, I've thought it out, and I will concede that voiced and voiceless phonemes are also an example of 'polar opposites'. Add phonotactics to grammar and math. Also particle physics.

But didn't Hegel tell us that thought moves through a cycle of thesis/antithesis/synthesis, where the synthesis takes elements of each of the preceding notions, in something akin to the following manner?  And did not Karl Marx dictate that, in addition to ideas, entire social and economic classes can and do operate in the same fashion, and that that is the base of history?

Thesis: Obnoxious Obama Hacks
Antithesis: Obnoxious Romney Hacks
Synthesis: 2012 Board

Simple dialectical materialism, the science of history.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2012, 11:24:24 PM »

Smith has brought the world greater prosperity and peace; Marx has brought the world greater oppression and war.

rofl, joke poster
Yea, I'd like for Politico to explain how does oppression by imperialism that comes with (neoliberal) capitalism(also fascism, but the two ideas collude when you have someone like Ryan) brings prosperity and peace.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2012, 12:36:56 AM »
« Edited: August 16, 2012, 12:41:23 AM by Politico »

rofl, joke poster
Yea, I'd like for Politico to explain how does oppression by imperialism that comes with (neoliberal) capitalism(also fascism, but the two ideas collude when you have someone like Ryan) brings prosperity and peace.

I'll do exactly that after you tell us where the computer, desk, chair and clothes you are using were manufactured. Then I want you to do some research on the lives of people in those countries. Specifically, I want you to compare their standard of living today versus 50 years ago. Then I want you to explain how things were more peaceful in the 1910s and 1940s compared to right now. Finally, I want you to compare life in America today versus in 1776.

Then you can explain to us how horrible free enterprise is while you suck down your latte.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2012, 12:41:32 AM »

But didn't Hegel tell us that thought moves through a cycle of thesis/antithesis/synthesis, where the synthesis takes elements of each of the preceding notions, in something akin to the following manner?  And did not Karl Marx dictate that, in addition to ideas, entire social and economic classes can and do operate in the same fashion, and that that is the base of history?

Thesis: Obnoxious Obama Hacks
Antithesis: Obnoxious Romney Hacks
Synthesis: 2012 Board

Simple dialectical materialism, the science of history.

I like using the dialectic a lot in certain circumstances, such as in some although not all of my academic work, but I think that it's a huge mistake to confuse 'antithesis' in the dialectical sense with some sort of ontological 'polar opposite', mainly because I think that one of Hegel's (and, by extension, Marx's) blind spots is a failure to recognize that a thesis can have more than one antithesis and hence more than one synthesis can develop. An antithesis is that which contradicts and/or negates a thesis; it does not have to be an opposite. Obnoxious Johnson, Stein, and Goode Hacks could, conceivably, be antitheses to Obnoxious Obama Hacks, for example.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2012, 07:34:27 AM »

Seatown and Lief, does it make you angry that Politico is actually making you look like clueless idiots? Because that just happened.

Citing Marx as an influence is a vague concept. If you do it as a historian or something it shouldn't be that controversial. If you do it in economics you're basically trolling. With Rand the latter sort of applies in all fields though. Tongue
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies