Senator HagridOfTheDeep—Nyman Office
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 08:40:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senator HagridOfTheDeep—Nyman Office
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Senator HagridOfTheDeep—Nyman Office  (Read 12155 times)
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2012, 07:21:51 AM »

What is your opinion of the values and aims of Mustafinism-Komovism? What is your opinion of Aliya Mustafina, Viktoria Komova and Maria Paseka? Your answers will determine if I offer you a preference.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2012, 12:35:25 PM »
« Edited: August 23, 2012, 12:39:46 PM by HagridOfTheDeep »

—On Mustafinism-Komovism—
Legislator  HAGRIDoftheDEEP

Она является приемлемым. Они богинь.

Purple heart

HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2012, 11:44:02 PM »

I’d normally wait until the morning to do this, but I’ve gotta wake up pretty early for a four-day camping trip. So here goes…

—Victory for Atlasia!—
Senator-Elect  HAGRIDoftheDEEP

The polls have closed, the ballots have been cast, and the fate of this race has been sealed. Although the official results haven’t been published, my count shows some fantastic news: We won. With your help, Senator clarence and I can lay claim to two very hard-fought victories for the Whig Party. What an exciting election this has been!

First and foremost, I’d like to thank everyone for putting up with private message after private message—I couldn’t have done it without you, and I appreciate all your support. I'm very thankful for the faith you’ve put in me, and I promise I won’t let you down. Additionally, I want to thank the folks who were so helpful behind the scenes (you know who you are, and I owe you a lot), as well as the people who dropped into my campaign office to ask me questions. I learned some new things, and it’s been an extraordinary experience. I’m ready to head to the senate and help get this country turned around.

Now, this race was never going to be easy—there were some very formidable candidates. I want to thank them for the spirited campaign and extend my personal congratulations to the other victors: Marokai Blue, clarence, Bacon King, and NVTownsend. I haven’t been around all that long, but I think the high turnout in this election speaks volumes… Atlasia is in the midst of a Renaissance. Let’s keep this enthusiasm going!

On a more serious note, I also recognize that a number of folks didn’t put me anywhere near their top five preferences—and that’s okay. I ran on the promise that I wouldn’t push a socially conservative agenda; I will keep that promise. As an At-Large Senator, I’m acutely aware that I won’t just be representing any one group, but that I’ll be representing the entire electorate as whole. To the folks who didn’t vote for me: Fear not—I’m no radical. I hope I can earn your trust over the next few months.

So with that, I have one last thing I want to say: To steal a line from Willard, I believe our best days are still ahead of us. Unemployment may be high and events in the Middle East may be troubling… but we are a strong-willed people with the determination and ingenuity to accomplish anything. So once the victory parties have ended and the liquor’s run dry, let’s put our best foot forward. We have a lot of work to do.

Thank you again for your support. It means the world to me.

Hagrid

Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2012, 11:50:05 PM »

Congratulations. I hope you are adequately prepared for the Senate's, erm, bold and exciting ways of operating.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2012, 11:53:00 PM »

Thanks, Napoleon. I hope so too. Tongue
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2012, 12:01:48 AM »

Good job.  Welcome to the Senate. Smiley
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2012, 04:41:42 AM »

Congratulations! With your active and passionate campaign you clearly deserve a spot in the Senate. I'm looking forward to seeing your work in the next months!
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2012, 10:18:42 PM »

Executive Order

In all future federal elections, the election administrator shall be required to post a sample ballot at least 24 hours in advance, to ensure the validity of the ballot and raise awareness for the upcoming election.

Bringing this to your attention, I think its a smarter solution (no offense) than the bill you've proposed, and much more constitutional. Hopefully you are satisfied.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2012, 11:06:51 PM »

I appreciate your action on this issue, Mr. President, but doesn't our constitution stipulate that senatorial election procedures are to be decided by the senate?

Either way, I'd still like to keep the Election Do-Over Act in the queue to see what becomes of it. If it needs to be changed into an amendment, so be it. I'd also be willing to consider the procedure outlined in your executive order. We'll see what happens on the senate floor.

I'm glad you agree that this is an issue the government should address.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2012, 11:18:52 PM »

I appreciate your action on this issue, Mr. President, but doesn't our constitution stipulate that senatorial election procedures are to be decided by the senate?

Either way, I'd still like to keep the Election Do-Over Act in the queue to see what becomes of it. If it needs to be changed into an amendment, so be it. I'd also be willing to consider the procedure outlined in your executive order. We'll see what happens on the senate floor.

I'm glad you agree that this is an issue the government should address.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The Constitution is pretty clear on when elections start and how long they last.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2012, 11:40:03 PM »

If it needs to be changed into an amendment, so be it. [...] We'll see what happens on the senate floor.

Smiley

Your order may help reduce instances of mistakes like the one we've presently seen, but it does not provide any solution for what we do if a mistake is actually made. I think we need a clear process, and I don't care how complex the legislation has to be to make it happen.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2012, 05:57:58 PM »
« Edited: November 18, 2012, 06:01:02 PM by HagridOfTheDeep »

—On Recent Tensions—
Senator  HAGRIDoftheDEEP

Constituents—

My public outreach efforts over the course of my term have not been as intensive as I was hoping, and I’d first like to apologize for that. I’ve been working on a rundown of my voting history in the senate to be published shortly. Not everyone will agree with my reasons for voting “aye” or “nay,” but I believe it can’t hurt for everyone to at least understand why I voted the way I voted. You can expect this memo sometime in the coming weeks.

Right now, however, I feel compelled to join the chorus of my fellow Atlasians taking a stand against President Napoleon’s attitude towards the senate. In the last few days, the president has attempted to overturn two laws outside the specified time required for a veto to be considered legitimate. Not only do I profoundly disagree with his intention to veto the Late-Term Abortion Restriction Act and the Right Wages for the Right Regions Act, but it’s becoming increasingly clear that he purposely waited until what he believed was the last minute to veto these bills, for no other reason than to cause chaos and discord. This is not the job of the president. I will not stand behind this morally corrupt approach to governing. The president of Atlasia should be a communicator and conciliator—we are not seeing Napoleon take on these roles, and I am disappointed that he has resorted to spiteful vetoes instead of working with the senate to find common ground on some issues and to compromise on others.

Unfortunately, this attitude has characterized much of President Napoleon’s tenure: It is disappointing that he refused to address SoIA Morgieb’s pitiful job performance; it is disappointing that he has not yet responded to requests for aid from regions affected by Superstorm Sandy; it is disappointing that he has not submitted his profile to the Midwest’s Wisard Extraordinær; and it is disappointing that he continues to use a warped interpretation of our constitution to get what he wants. I did not vote for Napoleon, and I am not surprised by these actions—it makes me sad, however, that he seems so content to let down those Atlasians who did offer him their support. I urge everyone who is upset with the president’s attitude of obstruction and inaction to voice their concerns.

It’s time to tell the president that selfish games are not what we want in a leader.

Hagrid

HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2012, 06:10:51 PM »
« Edited: November 26, 2012, 10:13:35 PM by HagridOfTheDeep »

—Full Disclosure—
Senator HAGRIDoftheDEEP

Hi everyone—

FYI, I disclosed the following information to the Midwest government some days ago. I figured I'd post it here in the interests of complete transparency. Smiley

For the enrichment of citizens in the Midwest, I hereby disclose all of the following information...

HagridOfTheDeep

Atlasian Senator (Current); Southern Legislator (Former)

Basic Information

Date of Birth: February 26, 1992

Ideology: Conservative Liberalism

Religion: Presbyterianism

Region: Imperial Dominion of the South

Party: Whig Party of the Republic of Atlasia

Corruption Status: Clean

Public Administration

Q: Which is more important: excellent results or an excellent process?
A:  You cannot achieve excellent results without an excellent process.

Q: Who should have more power in federalism: the nation or regions?
A:  Regions can better deal with the unique challenges they face.

Q: Would a potent, highly-effective executive do more good or harm?
A:  Extreme good and extreme harm could both be possible.

Q: Should public officials be accountable to each other, or the people?
A:  The people.

Q: Should public officials be expected to implement the people’s will?
A:  Officials should represent people’s best interests, not their wildest ideas.

Q: Are checks and balances, and separation between powers desirable?
A:  Yes.

Q: Which is best: governing from the bottom-up or from the top-down?
A:  The most economically powerful people can foster the most change.

Q: Should governments be organized hierarchically, or egalitarian-like?
A:  Even the best-intentioned egalitarian government will devolve into hierarchy.

Q: Should a government delegate its duties to private service providers?
A:  Not entirely. How we delineate these duties is also contentious.

Q: Is it okay for a leader to award their supporters preferential treatment?
A:  Not at all.

Political Worldview

Q: What is the correct role for good or legitimate states?
A:  The foremost responsibility of any government is to protect its people. Good states must defend their citizens’ freedoms and liberties, helping to ensure that every individual has the equal opportunity to pursue happiness. When an individual’s pursuit of happiness has the effect of infringing the rights of others, government must, of course, act as mediator. I’m of the belief, however, that individuals working together to pursue greatness actually help lift up society as a whole. Good states are not defined by their leaders—they are defined by the collective character of the people within them.

Q: What makes a leader or elected official good or bad?
A:  Good leaders stand for their principles, fight for their constituents, and work to find common ground between people of all stripes. Effective leadership is also important, and I believe the requisite quality of effective leadership is communication. In a representative democracy, citizens place immense faith in the officials they elect—it is only fair that these elected officials are open, honest, and willing to defend and promote the work they are doing.

Q: Are people beholden to some form of human nature?
A:  Yes. Some of our more primal instincts are forces of good and some work for bad. While we are to a certain extent beholden to these instincts, we are not incapable of tempering them when necessary.

Q: Are people bestowed with natural, inalienable rights?
A:  I can’t presume to know whether our rights are natural or not. That being said, any good government must recognize certain rights and fight to protect them for everyone.

Political Convictions

Grin (Yes), Angry (No), Cool (Other)

Cool Can coercion of people by government ever be justified?
Grin Do good people have reasons to be wary of government?
Grin Is “limited government” an attractive notion to embrace?
Cool Should interest groups be made part of the government to help craft policies?
Grin Are people supposed to bring honor and be loyal to the community?
Angry Do the needs of the many mostly outweigh those of the few?
Angry Is government the ultimate authority in society?

Angry Would we all be better off without any economic regulation?
Grin Will competition and a market economy help workers flourish?
Grin Is self-reliance an important value for our society to promote?
Angry Does redistributing resources make an economic order fairer?
Angry Should the workers themselves own the means of production?
Cool Is “social utility” a better objective for producers than profits?
Angry Would we all be better off if private property were abolished?

Cool Should people seek to conquer nature and bend it to their will?
Cool Will humanity eventually exhaust its supplies of crucial resources?
Grin Do environmental challenges threaten our material standards of living?
Grin Does it suffice to simply manage natural resources for sustainable use?
Grin Is it worthwhile to preserve other life forms and their habitats, as well?
Cool Are animals entitled to any privileges that infringe on human interests?
Angry Should the interests of all animal species be valued equally?

Cool Is it ever alright for one group of people to culturally dominate another?
Grin Do you think the Republic of Atlasia is an “exceptional” country?
Grin Should the state promote a culture that is uniquely Atlasian?
Grin Are you willing to tolerate and coexist with groups of different people?
Cool As natives, can we justly demand that any newcomers assimilate?
Cool Can more than one cultural nation peacefully coexist within a country?
Angry Do people have enough in common to live under a global government?

Grin Would you describe yourself as more conservative than progressive?
Grin Generally speaking, are you more pragmatic than idealistic?

If anyone has any questions, feel free to pose them in this thread or in a private message. I’d be happy to answer them.

Hagrid

HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2012, 07:37:16 PM »
« Edited: November 26, 2012, 10:17:14 PM by HagridOfTheDeep »

—A Second Term Starts Now!—
Senator HAGRIDoftheDEEP

So, it’s that time again. The elections are nigh, and I’m happy to be kicking off my re-election campaign for at-large senate. Smiley

By now, most of you know what I’m about: I’m one of the more active members of the senate, I contribute to debate, I stand up for centre-right beliefs, I find common ground where possible, and I compromise when necessary. I’ve also been known to stand up to Napoleon from time-to-time, but I’m not sure if that’s a plus or a minus. Wink Basically, you know what you’re getting with me. And I think that’s a good thing—the senate’s been lacking in activity, and we need to be able to count on our senators.

That’s why I’m happy to be running for re-election. I love the job, I love the debate, my fellow senators are pretty awesome, and I feel like I really bring something to the table. We need more of the co-operation we saw with the Late-Term Abortion Restriction Act—I can help deliver that.

Did I pass the “Regional Bill of Rights” that I promised to pass in my first campaign? No—it was unrealistic. Instead, I made sure to vote against the National University and General Education Reform Bill because it put regional autonomy in jeopardy. Instead, I fight for regional opt-outs whenever possible. This time, I’m not making empty promises. I’ll run on my record.

So, you can expect a full rundown of my voting history in the coming days. I always try to explain my votes in the senate, and I look forward to compiling that information for everyone else.

If anyone has any questions, I’d be happy to take them. Like last time, I expect these questions will be a good way to guide the campaign.

I hope I can earn your vote,

Hagrid

Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2012, 07:59:31 PM »

Absolutely endorsed. Hagrid is a very good Senator, we in the Senate and Atlasia as a whole would be worse off without him.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #65 on: November 26, 2012, 08:01:53 PM »

Endorsed with enthusiasm.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #66 on: November 26, 2012, 08:12:17 PM »
« Edited: November 26, 2012, 08:19:44 PM by Mideast Assemblyman Mr. X »

I know you're technically the competition, but I still wish you the best of luck this December Smiley
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2012, 09:21:04 PM »

Thanks everyone!
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2012, 09:49:07 PM »

I am very proud to endorse you- you have been an outstanding Senator... even beyond the high expectations I had for you. You have been a stalwart for the conservative ideology yet still reach across the aisle
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #69 on: November 27, 2012, 12:17:50 AM »

Endorsed for high preference! Smiley
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2012, 12:22:21 AM »

Surprise of the day! Endorsed. And not just because he's a super awesome senator who's done an excellent job.

He also promised me cookies. So there.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2012, 12:47:44 AM »

Thanks to the last few endorsers! Let's keep the momentum going!

—Free Cookies—
Senator HAGRIDoftheDEEP

So, Ben Kenobi just spoiled my ingenious campaign strategy. If you vote for me, I will indeed give you cookies. Your options basically boil down to sex and bacon. I'm glad I won't have to make this difficult choice.

Good luck and Godspeed!

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2012, 01:07:43 AM »

Endorsed. Guys like you are proof of the good that regional Legislatures do. Smiley
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2012, 06:31:18 AM »

You got my full support.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2012, 10:15:35 AM »

Hagrid has been a consistent conservative voice in the Senate, and I believe that is something that serves Atlasia well. It is only natural that he would have my endorsement.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies