British Labour and Conservative MPs lash out at Paul Ryan
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 02:08:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  British Labour and Conservative MPs lash out at Paul Ryan
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: British Labour and Conservative MPs lash out at Paul Ryan  (Read 5324 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2012, 11:31:30 PM »

Here's to hoping the British will keep thrashing the Republican ticket all the way up through the election.

Yeah, that will show 'em!

It should. Alienating our closest and most major ally - not only Romney but Ryan, too - before even stepping into the Oval Office does not bode well for future relations. Or have Republicans simply stopped caring about foreign relations with our allies now that it is not convenient or based in war, due to the fact that neither Romney nor Ryan have any foreign policy experience or military service?

The UK is not your closest ally. Je-sus.

Only if you take it in geographical context.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2012, 12:33:34 AM »

Here's to hoping the British will keep thrashing the Republican ticket all the way up through the election.

It should. Alienating our closest and most major ally - not only Romney but Ryan, too - before even stepping into the Oval Office does not bode well for future relations. Or have Republicans simply stopped caring about foreign relations with our allies now that it is not convenient or based in war, due to the fact that neither Romney nor Ryan have any foreign policy experience or military service?

It says "Labour and Conservative MPs", not "Kadima and Likud MPs".

Just don't let the USS Liberty get too close to our best "ally".
Rhodie
Rookie
South Africa

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2012, 02:04:27 AM »

In my opinion, it's kind of sad that a health service is described as a cornerstone of national life. Also, these economic benefits of the NHS, what are they?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2012, 02:54:21 AM »

In my opinion, it's kind of sad that a health service is described as a cornerstone of national life. Also, these economic benefits of the NHS, what are they?

For starters, about $4,000 per year when compared to our system.

The average Briton saves - compared to the average American - an amount equivalent to 7% of their annual salary.

You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2012, 08:08:37 AM »

The thread title makes it seem like quite a few MP's are getting rowdy at Ryan. When in reality, it's merely Jamie Reed, Labour shadow Health minister, and Stephen Dorrell, a Conservative moderate who says he 'doesn't disagree entirely' with Ryan's views and was probably only called on to comment to prevent Labour from making this a partisan issue. Not to mention this has only cropped up at all due to an old article Ryan penned in 2009.

Anyhow, considering the fact that Paul Ryan's budget plan is quite similar to George Osborne's, it would be ridiculous for any Conservative to attack Ryan for his proposals.

Austerity is working out so will for Britain, isn't it.

Fixing the mess left by the last government was never going to be easy.

At least we still have our AAA credit rating.

Yeah yeah, Labour's fault, blah blah. Put down your party talking points and look at the facts.

We're in a new recession ("a recession made in Downing Street" as the opposition puts it) after a period of some recovery in the economy and in terms of the cornerstone of the Tory's election campaign, a surplus by 2015, they've already had to admit that that's simply not possible even with their draconian austerity measures. We're not better off than we were two years ago.

We haven't lost our AAA rating. Yet.

Now, back on topic, this is a separate conversation for a separate board.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2012, 08:50:36 AM »

The UK is not your closest ally. Je-sus.

Only if you take it in geographical context.

It's not just geography. Where do most US Presidents go first after being elected? Not the UK. Who is the US's biggest trade partner? Not the UK. The UK may be America's most important ally, but certainly not the closest.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2012, 10:58:22 AM »

LOL @ the idea of NHS being anything other than a tragedy.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2012, 11:15:52 AM »

On what basis is it a tragedy?
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2012, 11:43:23 AM »

Denial is more than a river in Egypt, so I am not going to waste my time trying to explain it to you. Perhaps one of your fellow Brits will take a stab at it.
Rhodie
Rookie
South Africa

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2012, 11:45:21 AM »

I suppose one could say it smothers the freedom of private enterprise to operate (but then again that's just my opinion).
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2012, 01:08:46 PM »

I suppose one could say it smothers the freedom of private enterprise to operate (but then again that's just my opinion).

Doesn't New Zealand have a national healthcare system?
Rhodie
Rookie
South Africa

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2012, 01:26:36 PM »

Doesn't New Zealand have a national healthcare system?

It does, but there's quite a bit of Private Sector involvement.

(I'm not actually from New Zealand, but my parents now live there, and I attended the University of Auckland)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2012, 01:34:24 PM »

Meh, I still say Israel is third after Canada. It just takes in a lot more effort. I would comment on the effect of British MPs saying Americans are wrong criticizing the NHS, but Keystone Phil is doing an excellent job of it. Speaking of the NHS, I sure hope I'll live to see the day British health is privatized.

People dying without healthcare is a lot of fun to watch, hm?
Rhodie
Rookie
South Africa

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2012, 01:38:38 PM »

Meh, I still say Israel is third after Canada. It just takes in a lot more effort. I would comment on the effect of British MPs saying Americans are wrong criticizing the NHS, but Keystone Phil is doing an excellent job of it. Speaking of the NHS, I sure hope I'll live to see the day British health is privatized.

I wish people would stop with this assumption that "Oh no, everbody who isn't rich dies without nationalized healthcare".
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2012, 01:43:50 PM »

Denial is more than a river in Egypt, so I am not going to waste my time trying to explain it to you. Perhaps one of your fellow Brits will take a stab at it.

What a pathetic response.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2012, 02:33:36 PM »

I wish people would stop with this assumption that "Oh no, everbody who isn't rich dies without nationalized healthcare".

Didn't say everyone.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2012, 05:15:14 PM »

Posting smug and condescending blather like that doesn't make you appear smart or intellectual, not matter how much your delusional mindset may make you think otherwise.

I'll tell you what a tragedy is. The fact that millions of people in the most powerful and influential country on the planet can be allowed to go through life without guaranteed access to decent healthcare. That's a tragedy, my 'friend'. The NHS, despite not being completely perfect, guarantees everyone the right to decent quality healthcare, regardless of income.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2012, 06:52:16 PM »
« Edited: August 15, 2012, 07:00:02 PM by Politico »

Posting smug and condescending blather like that doesn't make you appear smart or intellectual, not matter how much your delusional mindset may make you think otherwise.

I'll tell you what a tragedy is. The fact that millions of people in the most powerful and influential country on the planet can be allowed to go through life without guaranteed access to decent [waiting lists for] healthcare. That's a tragedy, my 'friend'. The NHS, despite not being completely perfect [inefficient and absurdly expensive for people who pay taxes], guarantees everyone the right to decent quality [waiting lists for] healthcare, regardless of income. [Politicians get preferential treatment, of course. Others must endure pain/suffering and maybe die while sitting on a waiting list, but it's only fair. Obviously it is completely disgusting that most Americans get high quality healthcare tests and treatments immediately, as do wealthy Britons who decide to seek treatment in America rather than bare the consequences of sitting on a list. The latter amounts to treason! Yay for queuing!]

Fixed.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2012, 07:01:42 PM »

People dying without healthcare [after sitting on a waiting list and being taxed to death for the privilege of such] is a lot of fun to watch, hm?

Fixed.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2012, 08:05:04 PM »

Politico, have you ever actually been to Britain or read any study of the NHS written from a British perspective? Yes or no.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2012, 08:15:18 PM »
« Edited: August 15, 2012, 08:19:50 PM by Politico »

Politico, have you ever actually been to Britain or read any study of the NHS written from a British perspective? Yes or no.

Yes. I firmly believe that queuing resources is never a good idea. The promises of socialized medicine are not realistic. Obviously good intentions, but poor results. It's the results that matter.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2012, 09:39:24 AM »

Yes. I firmly believe that queuing resources is never a good idea. The promises of socialized medicine are not realistic. Obviously good intentions, but poor results. It's the results that matter.

Britain's results are better.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2012, 07:14:54 AM »

The free market's made America the healthiest nation on Earth!

Please, have you seen the Governor of New Jersey?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2012, 07:55:40 AM »

Yep, that is the winning argument...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2012, 08:44:02 AM »

Yep, that is the winning argument...

Pathetic statements deserve pathetic responses.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies