RNC speakers announced 8/14 UPDATE: Christie to keynote; Rubio to introduce Mitt
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:16:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  RNC speakers announced 8/14 UPDATE: Christie to keynote; Rubio to introduce Mitt
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: RNC speakers announced 8/14 UPDATE: Christie to keynote; Rubio to introduce Mitt  (Read 5416 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2012, 11:58:52 AM »

PoliticsPA says Santorum will have a "headliner" spot.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2012, 12:04:24 PM »

Mary Fallin seems a bit out of nowhere. Can anyone who's more plugged-in to the right wing media sphere provide some insight?

Is there much to consider? She's a female governor in a party which is perceived as having issues with women. I'm running through all the states now I think they've announced all of the R female governors as speakers by now. (Haley, Martinez, Fallin.)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2012, 12:05:58 PM »

PoliticsPA says Santorum will have a "headliner" spot.

Presumably Rick will not be dealing with the birth control and the "dilution" of Christianity topics. Tongue
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2012, 12:31:26 PM »

Mary Fallin seems a bit out of nowhere. Can anyone who's more plugged-in to the right wing media sphere provide some insight?

My states' kooky governor who, for some reason, has approval ratings through the roof.
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2012, 12:32:38 PM »

Rand... meh. I like where he is on civil liberties but he's not charismatic.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2012, 12:34:06 PM »

Rand... meh. I like where he is on civil liberties but he's not charismatic.

It's good that they at least let him on though, so I'll watch his speech probs.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2012, 06:49:12 PM »

My states' kooky governor who, for some reason, has approval ratings through the roof.

I'm a Democrat, but I like Gov. Fallin.  I think she has been wonderful for this state.  She has high approval ratings because she is a Christian in a largely Christian state.  She governs based largely on the Bible, not on popular opinion.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2012, 06:51:15 PM »
« Edited: August 07, 2012, 06:55:04 PM by Back on the Fence Bushie »

How is that out of nowhere?  She is arguable one of the most conservative governors in America.  She will be able to energize the base.  Plus, it's about time Oklahoma gets some time in the political sun!!

Plus, Oklahoma has had one of the best economies in the United States in the past 5 years.  Our unemployment average has remained remarkably below the national average.  Jobs have increased under her leadership (and under the tail end of the Brad Henry administration).  Oklahoma is a great model for the broader, national economy on how we've been able to sustain decent job growth and decently low unemployment numbers.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2012, 06:58:46 PM »

I'll take your word on it for now, Bushie. All that I could remember about her was the incident involving her bodyguard during her days as Lt. Gov. It's a memorable event when a female politician is implicated in a sex scandal.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2012, 07:05:44 PM »

I saw a CNN ticker that clearly said Ron Paul will get a slot.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2012, 07:15:31 PM »

I sure hope Ron Paul doesn't speak.  IMO, that would splinter the base and basically hand Obama the election on August 30.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2012, 07:19:41 PM »

Oh Good Lord, please no!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2012, 07:27:34 PM »

I sure hope Ron Paul doesn't speak.  IMO, that would splinter the base and basically hand Obama the election on August 30.
Why? It would pacify the Paulites and UNITE the party...the base theory is total bullsh**t, unless Palin got in as an independent. Who are most non Paulite Conservatives going to vote for? Gary Johnson? Of course not! They are all going to hold their nose and vote for Romney, just like they did McCain.

Oh Good Lord, please no!
Why? We have much more of an impact on the party then Newt Gingrich and Santorum have had. For God’s sake, we took over all the early caucus states party committees, and the ground game is there for Rand to come in on his shiny white gold horse and save this ridiculous party.

Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2012, 07:51:54 PM »

Oh Good Lord, please no!
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Santorum, at least, reaches a constituency which Mitt dearly needs, socially conservative blue collar workers. Gingrich, is, well, yes, I grant you that, Gingrich is a joke. Anyhow, I find it a bit ridiculous that Ron Paul would get a speaking slot and then refuse to endorse the nominee, not to mention his politics, especially his non-interventionist foreign policy, are completely nutty. Oh and his speeches consist of him ranting about 'bringing the troops home'.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2012, 08:16:11 PM »

Oh Good Lord, please no!
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Santorum, at least, reaches a constituency which Mitt dearly needs, socially conservative blue collar workers. Gingrich, is, well, yes, I grant you that, Gingrich is a joke. Anyhow, I find it a bit ridiculous that Ron Paul would get a speaking slot and then refuse to endorse the nominee, not to mention his politics, especially his non-interventionist foreign policy, are completely nutty. Oh and his speeches consist of him ranting about 'bringing the troops home'.
Looks like I will being it doing block style here.....

Santorum, at least, reaches a constituency which Mitt dearly needs, socially conservative blue collar workers.
Again, Mitt has Santorum’s constituency locked up. They have no other option, and they have a militant hatred of Obama that will bring them out to the polls, despite hating Romney as well.
Gingrich, is, well, yes, I grant you that, Gingrich is a joke.
When it comes to internal Republican affairs, we agree on at least one thing Smiley
Anyhow, I find it a bit ridiculous that Ron Paul would get a speaking slot and then refuse to endorse the nominee, not to mention his politics, especially his non-interventionist foreign policy, are completely nutty.
I agree that Ron Paul should endorse Romney if he is given a speaking slot. I have a hunch that will come as part of the deal to give him a slot. His politics represent the party from a bygone era. Ron Paul is less of a Libertarian and more of a Robert Taft Republican. And if I recall correctly, the Republican Party  was a lot more conservative then compared to today. We all want a more conservative party right? Wink Please watch this video, and then tell me if his foreign policy is wrong or right. It seems to change a lot of minds.

Oh and his speeches consist of him ranting about 'bringing the troops home'.
Again, assuming you watched the above video, you should be saying “oh, Sanchez, you were so right and I was so wrong” etc, etc. Unfortunately, you are probably like me and hold strong convictions which only change over time, if they do change. But why do you oppose bringing the troops home? Because, right now, with the post Iraq and current Afghan occupations, we are just inviting another 9/11. History repeats itself.  
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2012, 08:18:32 PM »

Ron Paul is one of the most intelligent and best speakers in the GOP. Very pleased that Romney is having him speak - hopefully he'll get a good spot.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2012, 08:26:17 PM »

Ron Paul is one of the most intelligent and best speakers in the GOP. Very pleased that Romney is having him speak - hopefully he'll get a good spot.
Is he speaking? I just saw the CNN ticker Tongue But it clearly said Ron, not Rand...
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2012, 08:36:10 PM »

I think he has a good speech left in him. What would he talk about though?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2012, 09:27:48 PM »

I kind of hope Ron Paul doesn't endorse Romney, but eh, I'm not voting for Romney anywho.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2012, 09:33:34 PM »

I read the Rand is speaking. I havn't seen any news on Paul outside of the douchebags in Maine blocking his delegates.
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2012, 10:22:51 PM »

Someone at RRH posted that Scott Walker, Ted Cruz, Luis Fortuno, Pam Bondi (Florida AG) and Sam Olens (Georgia AG) have been added to GOP convention lineup.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2012, 11:25:33 PM »

Someone at RRH posted that Scott Walker, Ted Cruz, Luis Fortuno, Pam Bondi (Florida AG) and Sam Olens (Georgia AG) have been added to GOP convention lineup.

Yep:

http://gretawire.foxnewsinsider.com/2012/08/07/rnc-chair-reince-priebus-announcing-mroe-speakers-at-the-repub-convention/

So we now have more than 15 speakers having been announced?  Obviously, quite a few of these people won't be speaking in primetime.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2012, 11:44:14 PM »

Christie asked her to replace him as the NGA Vice-Chair, so after a year she'll be chair of the NGA. Of course she's a solid conservative who's a women from the south, so basically just a good demographic to have. She has some ambitions stocked in her with the way she presented herself and state at the NGA whenever she spoke, and could potentially get a cabinet position from Romney.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: August 07, 2012, 11:49:29 PM »

Christie asked her to replace him as the NGA Vice-Chair, so after a year she'll be chair of the NGA. Of course she's a solid conservative who's a women from the south, so basically just a good demographic to have. She has some ambitions stocked in her with the way she presented herself and state at the NGA whenever she spoke, and could potentially get a cabinet position from Romney.

If Gov. Fallin is offered and does accept a Cabinet position, I think the State of Oklahoma will be well served by Governor Todd Lamb, who is now their Lt. Governor.

I hope she does get a Cabinet position, because Oklahoma hasn't had anybody that close to the Presidency since House Speaker Carl Albert.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2012, 01:31:48 AM »

If Gov. Fallin is offered and does accept a Cabinet position, I think the State of Oklahoma will be well served by Governor Todd Lamb, who is now their Lt. Governor.

I know that Oklahoma tends to be a little backwards, but being served by a lamb gets it to a whole new level.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies