Why do so many of you Republicans dislike John McCain? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:36:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Why do so many of you Republicans dislike John McCain? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why do so many of you Republicans dislike John McCain?  (Read 2927 times)
FerrisBueller86
jhsu

« on: January 21, 2005, 07:52:30 PM »

I learned about John McCain when he ran for president in 2000.  Even though I don't like his conservative ideology, I admired him and found it difficult to object to him.  He has a reputation for honesty and reform.  McCain is also a war hero, and I can't believe people can object to a war hero.  I wouldn't have voted for him over Al Gore or Bill Bradley, but I definitely WOULD vote for him over a Democrat I don't like (such as Robert Byrd or Zell Miller).

If my mother hadn't attempted to be an Al Gore delegate, I would have voted for John McCain in the Illinois primary.  I thought he was a breath of fresh air and something the Republican Party needed.

I didn't like Bush.  I found him to be too slick, too dumb, and too selfish.  While McCain was a war hero, Bush enlisted in the National Guard to avoid being drafted to fight in Vietnam.  What's more, he was FOR the war.  I couldn't believe that Republicans were tripping over each other to support Bush after bashing Clinton a few years earlier over the draft issue.  (And recall that Clinton was AGAINST the Vietnam War.)  I couldn't believe that veterans liked Bush better than McCain.  I admire those who valiantly fought in the Vietnam War and those who protested against it.  However, I have a negative view of draft-dodging HAWKS.  It's one thing to be a dove who dodges the draft - such people at least act on their beliefs.  But the HAWKS to dodge the draft are selfish.  Veterans should be angry at the draft-dodging hawks, NOT the draft-dodging doves.

If you are a Republican, how can you object to John McCain?  He's a reformer and a war hero, AND he's conservative on the hot-button issues.  What more could you ask for?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies