Why do so many of you Republicans dislike John McCain?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:18:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Why do so many of you Republicans dislike John McCain?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why do so many of you Republicans dislike John McCain?  (Read 2921 times)
FerrisBueller86
jhsu

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 21, 2005, 07:52:30 PM »

I learned about John McCain when he ran for president in 2000.  Even though I don't like his conservative ideology, I admired him and found it difficult to object to him.  He has a reputation for honesty and reform.  McCain is also a war hero, and I can't believe people can object to a war hero.  I wouldn't have voted for him over Al Gore or Bill Bradley, but I definitely WOULD vote for him over a Democrat I don't like (such as Robert Byrd or Zell Miller).

If my mother hadn't attempted to be an Al Gore delegate, I would have voted for John McCain in the Illinois primary.  I thought he was a breath of fresh air and something the Republican Party needed.

I didn't like Bush.  I found him to be too slick, too dumb, and too selfish.  While McCain was a war hero, Bush enlisted in the National Guard to avoid being drafted to fight in Vietnam.  What's more, he was FOR the war.  I couldn't believe that Republicans were tripping over each other to support Bush after bashing Clinton a few years earlier over the draft issue.  (And recall that Clinton was AGAINST the Vietnam War.)  I couldn't believe that veterans liked Bush better than McCain.  I admire those who valiantly fought in the Vietnam War and those who protested against it.  However, I have a negative view of draft-dodging HAWKS.  It's one thing to be a dove who dodges the draft - such people at least act on their beliefs.  But the HAWKS to dodge the draft are selfish.  Veterans should be angry at the draft-dodging hawks, NOT the draft-dodging doves.

If you are a Republican, how can you object to John McCain?  He's a reformer and a war hero, AND he's conservative on the hot-button issues.  What more could you ask for?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 08:23:52 PM »

I learned about John McCain when he ran for president in 2000.  Even though I don't like his conservative ideology, I admired him and found it difficult to object to him.  He has a reputation for honesty and reform.  McCain is also a war hero, and I can't believe people can object to a war hero.  I wouldn't have voted for him over Al Gore or Bill Bradley, but I definitely WOULD vote for him over a Democrat I don't like (such as Robert Byrd or Zell Miller).

If my mother hadn't attempted to be an Al Gore delegate, I would have voted for John McCain in the Illinois primary.  I thought he was a breath of fresh air and something the Republican Party needed.

I didn't like Bush.  I found him to be too slick, too dumb, and too selfish.  While McCain was a war hero, Bush enlisted in the National Guard to avoid being drafted to fight in Vietnam.  What's more, he was FOR the war.  I couldn't believe that Republicans were tripping over each other to support Bush after bashing Clinton a few years earlier over the draft issue.  (And recall that Clinton was AGAINST the Vietnam War.)  I couldn't believe that veterans liked Bush better than McCain.  I admire those who valiantly fought in the Vietnam War and those who protested against it.  However, I have a negative view of draft-dodging HAWKS.  It's one thing to be a dove who dodges the draft - such people at least act on their beliefs.  But the HAWKS to dodge the draft are selfish.  Veterans should be angry at the draft-dodging hawks, NOT the draft-dodging doves.

If you are a Republican, how can you object to John McCain?  He's a reformer and a war hero, AND he's conservative on the hot-button issues.  What more could you ask for?

Be more like Rick Santorum.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 08:37:14 PM »

I wasn't happy with some of the stuff he did in MI in 2000, but I like him,
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 08:48:03 PM »

I'm NOT a Republican, but I am from Arizona, and despise the lying SOB.
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 10:48:53 PM »

Since the 2000 primaries when he went into that whole "Star Wars" analogy and other things he has said I believe he is not all together. I respect him as a good Senator and an American Hero. However, I do not believe he should be President. Senator yes, Governor, yes, President NO!
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 11:05:19 PM »

Because he's pure trash and voted against the first Bush tax cut.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2005, 11:12:13 PM »

You know how Bill Clinton had no moral compass and no core beliefs?    How he did whatever he thought woudl make him the most popular with the largest group of people?

John McCain is sort of the Republican version of him.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2005, 12:38:50 AM »

Jshu, do you only make posts on the days you dont take your medication?
BobOMac2k2

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2005, 11:28:10 AM »

You know how Bill Clinton had no moral compass and no core beliefs? How he did whatever he thought woudl make him the most popular with the largest group of people?

After he supported Bush in this election I completely gave up on him... And this man speaks the truth.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2005, 12:58:08 PM »

You know how Bill Clinton had no moral compass and no core beliefs?    How he did whatever he thought woudl make him the most popular with the largest group of people?

I think you got it exactly right!
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2005, 02:00:56 PM »

I think you got it exactly right!

Now throw in Chuck Hagel as well..
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2005, 09:14:18 PM »

I could not have said it any better myself.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2005, 09:33:52 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2005, 05:00:55 PM by The Vorlon »

Bush enlisted in the National Guard to avoid being drafted to fight in Vietnam. 

Point of information:

According to the report CBS did regarding the Rathergate story, Bush actually volunteered to fly missions in Vietnam but was turned down as he did not have enough flight hours.

BobOMac2k2

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2005, 11:52:24 PM »

And Im sure he knew he didn'thave enough.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2005, 02:12:21 AM »

He's a bit of a media whore, but I don't dislike him for that.  He's by no means my first choice in '08, but I'd support him if he were somehow nominated.
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2005, 05:07:10 PM »

A lot of your responses are weak; back your statements up with something other than calling McCain names.
George W. Bush
eversole_Adam

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2005, 11:27:42 PM »

I like him , But as Erc said I can think of lots of people I would rather see with the nomination than him.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies