Do the members of Congress who supported SOPA/PIPA till the end...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:02:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do the members of Congress who supported SOPA/PIPA till the end...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...deserve to be kicked out of office?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: Do the members of Congress who supported SOPA/PIPA till the end...  (Read 3247 times)
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 15, 2012, 01:50:13 PM »

See: my sig.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 02:04:52 PM »

Some of them do and some of them don't. Some are old fogeys who Just Don't Get It; some of them can be forgiven and supported despite, some I don't think should be (Patrick Leahy, for me, falls into the former category, since I'm from Vermont and sentimental about him on several levels, even though he is genuinely just awful on this particular set of issues). Some are unfortunately beholden to some interest or another but are otherwise decent or even good (Al Franken comes to mind, with his obvious connections to, sympathies with, and it could be argued blind spot regarding the entertainment industry). Some deserve the smackdown. In fact, I'd go so far as to say most. I was hugely disappointed in some of these people, and some of them have always been generally terrible.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 02:06:38 PM »

Perhaps only Al Franken, because I like him.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 04:28:59 PM »

Some of them do and some of them don't. Some are old fogeys who Just Don't Get It; some of them can be forgiven and supported despite, some I don't think should be (Patrick Leahy, for me, falls into the former category, since I'm from Vermont and sentimental about him on several levels, even though he is genuinely just awful on this particular set of issues). Some are unfortunately beholden to some interest or another but are otherwise decent or even good (Al Franken comes to mind, with his obvious connections to, sympathies with, and it could be argued blind spot regarding the entertainment industry). Some deserve the smackdown. In fact, I'd go so far as to say most. I was hugely disappointed in some of these people, and some of them have always been generally terrible.

This.

While SOPA/PIPA is a joke, a lot of people are FF on other issues on that list.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 04:58:04 PM »

I am honestly surprised that neither of my state's senators have supported SOPA/PIPA to the end. It seems like something Orrin Hatch would do.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 05:06:36 PM »

Like Nathan said, some do and some don't.  I think Peter King, in particular, should be kicked out because of his entire record on privacy issues.  I'm willing to forgive Charles Schumer and some others on that list.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 11:57:31 AM »

No. Some of the people who have supported SOPA and PIPA have supported far worse legislation.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 11:57:57 AM »

Deserve to be kicked out of office: Mary Bono Mack (R-CA), John McCain (R-AZ), Johnny Isakson (R-GA), Lamar Smith (R-TX), Robert Goodlatte (R-VA), Lindsey Graham (R-SC), Bob Corker (R-TN), Elton Gallegly (R-CA), Peter King (R-NY), Steven Chabot (R-OH), Dennis Ross (R-FL), Jon Kyl (R-AZ), Tom Marino (R-PA), Jim Risch (R-ID), Michael Enzi (R-WY), Alan Nunnelee (R-MS), Lamar Alexander (R-TN), Thad Cochran (R-MS), Mark Amodei (R-NV), Joe Lieberman (I-CT)

Yup, I'm a partisan hack.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 11:59:18 AM »

Notice how there's more Democrats on the list than Republicans.

Hmm.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 12:04:00 PM »

All republicans deserve to be kicked out, of course. Kicking out a progressive democrat because he happens to support one bad bill is obviously silly.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 12:08:07 PM »

All republicans deserve to be kicked out, of course. Kicking out a progressive democrat because he happens to support one bad bill is obviously silly.

Roll Eyes
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 12:43:54 PM »

Obviously, the statist hacks on both sides highly approved of it.

I would answer "no", given that a vast majority of these despicable (yes, I said it) human beings earned their right to unemployment long before voting for this.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 03:35:29 PM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 04:05:59 PM »

Notice how there's more Democrats on the list than Republicans.

Hmm.

Democrats tend to get more from Hollywood, which explains why there might be more Democrats on record supporting the bill.

Which just goes to show you how badly we need campaign finance reform.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 09:01:40 PM »

No, because Sherrod Brown.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2012, 09:44:47 PM »

You don't "deserve" to get kicked out of Congress due to your political views (generally). Would it be nice if everyone who disagreed with me on everything were gone? Sure, but it's an inane thing to consider.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2012, 12:25:24 AM »

Oh, and this. This times a gazillion.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2012, 12:30:19 AM »

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2012, 08:44:19 AM »

That was the one genuinely surprising name on that list. (Most of the fresher housepeople, of course, I don't know enough about to feel surprise whether they're on or not.)

Anyways, the serious answer is: It does weigh quite negatively. But no one single thing can be important enough to determine that. And of course, the alternatives will matter as well.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2012, 01:58:20 PM »

That was the one genuinely surprising name on that list. (Most of the fresher housepeople, of course, I don't know enough about to feel surprise whether they're on or not.)

Anyways, the serious answer is: It does weigh quite negatively. But no one single thing can be important enough to determine that. And of course, the alternatives will matter as well.

Remember that Franken's 'from' the entertainment industry, as it were, and has a lot of connections there. It's, in my view, an understandable blind spot of his.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2012, 05:02:28 PM »

The more I know about how legislation works, the more sympathetic I am to these people.  They're totally wrong.  But legislators who lack extensive prior knowledge of an issue rely on staff and advisors who are better-versed.  That means they botch some votes we consider obvious.  But what's the alternative?  Is it really better?  Do these people deserve to be punished for not using it?

Of course, it's totally reasonable to punish politicians for bad votes.  I just would keep the above in mind before developing litmus tests on individual votes, especially ones beyond the technical knowledge of the average congressman.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2012, 02:29:49 AM »

Antonio's post is correct. I would gladly trade the passage of SOPA for the passage of every single other bill supported by Al Franken or Sherrod Brown or Pat Leahy.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2012, 08:01:15 PM »

I voted yes, but no that I've read the thread I've changed my mind.  Of course, any excuse to get Fascistman out is a good excuse.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2012, 02:22:05 AM »

A large majority of the people who supported it deserved to be kicked out anyway.
The Ex-Factor
xfactor99
Viet Nam

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2012, 05:54:38 AM »
« Edited: July 19, 2012, 05:56:18 AM by XPostFactor99 »

From a Democratic Party POV I understand the sentiment that most of these guys are pretty good on the issues except for this one, but if we want them to respect our insistence on a free Internet then we need some kind of a stick. Sure Patrick Leahy is one of the most leftist members of the Senate but his comments during the SOPA debate were so horrible that he lost a lot of respect in my eyes:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I mean yeah it's obvious he's reading off a page of talking points that Time Warner sent to him, but just because he's an old codger who doesn't understand the Internet doesn't mean we should exculpate him from being a corporate shill. I'm sure there are plenty of politicians in Vermont who are similar to Leahy ideologically who could frame this as being out of touch with most Americans/corporate shill/etc which would play to the base. Basically if the Democrats keep pushing for horrible legislation like SOPA and PIPA primary challenges should be on the table. Yes, Democrats seem to suck at primary challenges compared to Republicans, but I had the sinking feeling reading the statements that Democrats were releasing during the day of the SOPA protests that they were taking our protests for granted and believed there were no consequences for ignoring them. And if we don't do something about that, then there's no reason that a draconian MPAA/RIAA-written bill can't pass in the future, with the core voting support being Hollywood-funded Democrats.

http://i.imgur.com/mChiW.jpg
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies