Which would you rather have at school?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:46:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Which would you rather have at school?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Which would you rather have at school?
Kids being allowed to wear shirts with swearing and hammer and sickles on them

Being told what to wear which includes a tie

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: Which would you rather have at school?  (Read 4326 times)
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2005, 07:01:32 PM »

Oh stop complaining. I have to wear a tie during the winter months (during the summer months we wear polo shirts) and I don't care.

They make you go to school in summer?

In case you are unaware, August and September are summer months in which school takes place in many areas.

As far as uniforms, I think evry student should wear a uniform.  Maybe dress pants {black, dark blue, khaki}, a button up shirt {of any color or style, within reason}, and a tie {of any style/color} for guys. For girls, a skirt or pants with a blouse or sweater.  Also, guys could wear a jacket or sweater also.  For the summer, switch to short sleave shirts or polos.

Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2005, 07:03:55 PM »

As far as uniforms, I think evry student should wear a uniform.

Then I think every student should sue.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2005, 07:08:59 PM »

As far as uniforms, I think evry student should wear a uniform.

Then I think every student should sue.

Go away and burn something Bandit
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2005, 07:10:30 PM »

I'll burn a nice big joint in your honor.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2005, 07:15:30 PM »

I should mention that I actually do have a friend who was born in the Soviet Union (in what is now Ukraine), although his parents left when he was only 2.

Now he is also extremely liberal and still has Kerry/Edwards buttons all over his backpack. He's never met my other friend though or seen his hammer and sickle shirt, and I'm honestly not sure what he would think of it.

Its ironic that he would want to create in this country the conditions which caused his parents to flee their country.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2005, 07:16:24 PM »

I should mention that I actually do have a friend who was born in the Soviet Union (in what is now Ukraine), although his parents left when he was only 2.

Now he is also extremely liberal and still has Kerry/Edwards buttons all over his backpack. He's never met my other friend though or seen his hammer and sickle shirt, and I'm honestly not sure what he would think of it.

Its ironic that he would want to create in this country the conditions which caused his parents to flee their country.

"Very liberal" is rather different from hammer and sickle Communism.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2005, 07:17:49 PM »

I hate dressing up. I have never worn a tie in my life.

No argument on that one. I haven't worn a tie since I retired.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2005, 07:19:27 PM »

I won't even wear a tie to a job interview.

Back when I worked at the library they said never EVER[/i] wear a tie.
Cashcow

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2005, 07:24:18 PM »

Sometimes the authoritarian aspect of communism is much more disturbing than the economic aspect. Hence my father, a liberal and Hungarian refugee (1956).
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2005, 07:33:43 PM »

I won't even wear a tie to a job interview.

Back when I worked at the library they said never EVER[/i] wear a tie.

These problems should be addressed.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2005, 07:34:26 PM »

Oh stop complaining. I have to wear a tie during the winter months (during the summer months we wear polo shirts) and I don't care.

They make you go to school in summer?

I should have said spring. We're out of school earlier than those FACIST PUBLIC SCHOOLS!   Tongue
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2005, 07:39:15 PM »

Fascist
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2005, 07:46:08 PM »

I'll burn a nice big joint in your honor.

Fire it up, hoss!  Wish I was there.

my wife won't let me smoke any more since we had a baby.  probably best.  she's all about school uniforms.  I'm more of a t-shirt and jeans kind 'o guy myself.  every child should have at least one leftist authoritarian parent.  two laissez-faire parents would be disastrous, don't you think?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2005, 09:09:37 PM »

Let's see... communist symbols are good (the extermination of the Crimean Tartars was NOT racist I guess)

I explained the difference above. The difference is that you can believe in an ideology and not support everything done by people also claiming to believe in that ideology. You can be a Communist and not support Stalin. Many did even when Stalin was in power. Many in the Hungarian uprising in Communists. You also support the ideals the hammer and sickle was used to represent before the Soviet Union took it and not support the Soviets or other authoritarian communist regimes. Do you think my friend with the shirt thinks Stalinist Russia would be a great place to live in?

However, you can not support Nazi ideology and not be racist. You can disapprove of what Hitler did and still be a Nazi. But you would still be a racist.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2005, 09:16:57 PM »

Let's see... communist symbols are good (the extermination of the Crimean Tartars was NOT racist I guess)

I explained the difference above. The difference is that you can believe in an ideology and not support everything done by people also claiming to believe in that ideology. You can be a Communist and not support Stalin. Many did even when Stalin was in power. Many in the Hungarian uprising in Communists. You also support the ideals the hammer and sickle was used to represent before the Soviet Union took it and not support the Soviets or other authoritarian communist regimes. Do you think my friend with the shirt thinks Stalinist Russia would be a great place to live in?

However, you can not support Nazi ideology and not be racist. You can disapprove of what Hitler did and still be a Nazi. But you would still be a racist.
So no shirts saying

"Redmond University Black Football Team"

That is racist.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2005, 09:23:29 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2005, 09:27:03 PM by Antifa BRTD »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Wouldn't that be extremely offensive to people of Eastern European descent? They're large Polish (and often Hungarian as well) communities in most industrial areas.

I explained it in the reply to NewFederalist above. something like "I Love Stalin" wouldn't be fine though.

Define "swastika". Are we talking the Hindu relgious symbol or the Nazi pseudo-religious symbol?

Nazi symbol. Religious symbol covered below.

What's a "confederate flag" defined as? Besides isn't it just a tiny bit hypocrital to say that someone having a (non battle flag) CSA flag on their T-shirt is bad, but there's nowt wrong with having "I love Pol Pot" on their T-shirt?

Stars and bars basically. And I wouldn't consider 'I love Pol Pot' fine. That's actually praising a genocidal communist. But you can use simple symbols like the hammer and sickle and not support authoritarian or genocidal communist regimes. Do you think my friend does? This is similar as to how displaying an American flag doesn't mean you support the genocide of millions of Natives under it.

Is "I love the Taliban" O.K? What about a Hindu Swastika?

"I love the Taliban" - no, neither would be something support Christian Identity, Kahanism or the Kach, etc. What must to be realized though is someone who would wear such a thing is likely just looking for attention and doing in real life what trolls do on the internet.

I think a Hindu Swastika is fine as long as it's pointed in the original direction and not the Nazi version. Just be prepared to explain yourself.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2005, 09:24:19 PM »

So no shirts saying

"Redmond University Black Football Team"

That is racist.

I don't know what that is.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2005, 10:06:59 PM »

I don't think kids should be allowed to wear shirts with swearing to school.

Schools should not follow a left-wing agenda of allowing representations of certain hateful philosophies, like communism, while banning others.  Frankly, I find the confederacy less offensive than communism.  And fascism and communism are equal.  Communists simply had better propaganda than fascists, and that continues to fool many weak-minded people.

I see nothing wrong with schools having a certain dress code.  You can wear what you want on the street, but I think it's absurd to think that schools should not be able to control what students wear.  I don't necessarily favor a strict dress code, but any institution has a right to dictate acceptable dress to those in attendance.  Most companies do, so it's good preparation for the real world.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2005, 10:25:41 PM »

I quite like my uniform, with woolen blazer and tie, but on casual cklothes day people can wear whatever symbol they want. I don't think swear words are necessary, but I wouldn't be the one to judge.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies