Would a Condi pick help or hurt Romney's electoral chances?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:27:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Would a Condi pick help or hurt Romney's electoral chances?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Regardless of who you're supporting...
Help

Hurt

Undecided

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 59

Author Topic: Would a Condi pick help or hurt Romney's electoral chances?  (Read 6838 times)
WhyteRain
Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -2.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2012, 09:37:59 PM »

The Condi pick doesn't really make any sense. Romney is trying to make this election exclusively about the economy, so why would he choose a VP known overwhelmingly for her role in foreign policy? Romney needs to pick someone that will augment his own business attributes, not change the conversation to something else (let alone change the conversation to something that hurts Republicans).

Excellent comment.  Best of the thread so far, IMHO.

Thank you. For the record, your analogy of 2012 being what 1980 would look like if they ran Bush Senior is fantastic. Smiley

Thanks, but let's stop before they say we're in love.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2012, 09:43:26 PM »

She's a real tough cookie. Obviously the Bush card will be played, which could have slid had Roberts not upheld Obamacare. Of course she wasn't having anything to do with his domestic policy, but she'll still be tied to that and conservatives won't be happy she's a pro-choice ish person. That could have slide, but both won't.

Then again Obama is up 10 in Colorado and Iowa on foreign policy when he shouldn't. Obama isn't strong in foreign policy, Romney can hit him and can't be seen as weaker than Obama. It is embarrassing and he's not going to win trailing Obama on foreign policy. Needless to say Obama's approvals are down around 10 points in health care and immigration yet he leads Romney narrowly on those issues in head-to-head match ups. Nobody really wants Romney on anything so truly he could pick anyone to boost him on any issue.

This is just sad and pathetic that Obama is weak in so many areas yet Romney is seen as weaker.

Rice won't move the black vote, but this along with going to the NAACP will hopefully stop all the "you're racist Mitt Romney!" talk. If he's going for race, obvious latino is more important and you'll want to pick Martinez or Rubio. Maybe Jeb Bush, but his last name is Bush and he's more moderate.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2012, 09:49:42 PM »

If Romney's going to tell the Tea Party to sit down and pick a moderate, I think Brian Sandoval is the stronger choice.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2012, 09:54:04 PM »

I think the votes she brings to the ticket would be negated by the independents that run from the ticket because of the Bush administration thing. Debate wise, she might be able to take on Vice-President Biden. But I think the moderate Republican makes social conservatives either stay home or vote third pary (which will really hurt in states like North Carolina, Virginia, Ohio, and Iowa). So honestly, I don't think she has any effect at all.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2012, 10:19:27 PM »

Hurt, since a lot of the anti-black vote would probably sit this one out at that point. Then you have to account for the fact that she would automatically bring George W. Bush/Iraq/etc. back into the debate.

So yeah, she'd be about as bad as any realistic VP pick could be. Hell, if he's going to go down that road, he might as well just pick Palin instead. At least she's just a dumbass.

Only dumbasses think Palin's a dumbass.
So, your admitting that most of America are dumbasses?

I'm tempted to answer, "Sure!", but on the other hand I think most people don't think at all before spouting the spoon-fed "narrative" of the dominate corporate-media.  

Nearly all people want to seem smart and the most common way they act that out is by repeating, without any thought on their parts at all, the convention wisdom.  Sad to say, not a few of those people even comment at this forum.

Aha, typical.  No, Palin's not responsible for her actions and words; that's all the librul media's fault! Roll Eyes
pepper11
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2012, 11:02:56 PM »

I am not a fan of social conservatives, but Huckabee is BY FAR the best "political" pick. He is a happy warrior who is excellent on the attack, he polls exceptionallly well with women (despite the fact he is strongly pro life), he is very jovial and simply likable as a person, he would shore up the evangenical conservative base especially in competative southern states such as Virginia and NC, he would be difficult for liberals to brand as an extremist since he was fairly econically liberal in Arkansas and abortion is not a top issue in 2012, and he has very little risk other than he freed some criminals as governor(which is probably not viewed in a terrible light by most moderates). Though it pains me to say this, if Romney wants to win, Huckabee is the best choice.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2012, 11:17:33 PM »

You're all stupid and wrong for falling for Drudge's lame attempt to divert attention of Romney's current troubles.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2012, 11:31:09 PM »

Hurt, since a lot of the anti-black vote would probably sit this one out at that point. Then you have to account for the fact that she would automatically bring George W. Bush/Iraq/etc. back into the debate.

So yeah, she'd be about as bad as any realistic VP pick could be. Hell, if he's going to go down that road, he might as well just pick Palin instead. At least she's just a dumbass.

Only dumbasses think Palin's a dumbass.
So, your admitting that most of America are dumbasses?

I'm tempted to answer, "Sure!", but on the other hand I think most people don't think at all before spouting the spoon-fed "narrative" of the dominate corporate-media.  

Nearly all people want to seem smart and the most common way they act that out is by repeating, without any thought on their parts at all, the convention wisdom.  Sad to say, not a few of those people even comment at this forum.

Is this the Republican ''convention'' wisdom or the Democratic ''convention'' wisdom, oh omniscient one? lol!

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2012, 11:38:19 PM »

I am not a fan of social conservatives, but Huckabee is BY FAR the best "political" pick. He is a happy warrior who is excellent on the attack, he polls exceptionallly well with women (despite the fact he is strongly pro life), he is very jovial and simply likable as a person, he would shore up the evangenical conservative base especially in competative southern states such as Virginia and NC, he would be difficult for liberals to brand as an extremist since he was fairly econically liberal in Arkansas and abortion is not a top issue in 2012, and he has very little risk other than he freed some criminals as governor(which is probably not viewed in a terrible light by most moderates). Though it pains me to say this, if Romney wants to win, Huckabee is the best choice.
Nice post.

I despised Huckabee in the 2008 campaign, but now, I think he might actually be a decent pick. He'd please the Tea Party while also not scaring moderates away. He's a good speaker, and could certainly hold his own in a debate with VP Biden.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2012, 11:43:15 PM »

Well, they would certainly do quite well with those voters who love lying politicians.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2012, 11:43:30 PM »

Probably a net negative.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2012, 01:54:18 AM »

maybe negative, but i think most candidates, including Condi, have a net zero effect on Willards presidential bid.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2012, 10:13:46 AM »

I think [Huckabee] might actually be a decent pick. He'd please the Tea Party...

I wonder if you know anything more about the Tea Party than what the MSM has told you.  The reason I wonder is that Huckabee, as others here have noted, is

1.  a social conservative, and;
2.  an economic liberal.

The Tea Party is neither.

Question:  Do you think there might be a reason why Huckabee is never a speaker at Tea Party events?

Huckabee is a hyper-GOPEstablishmentarian.  Here he is in April 2010 (when the Tea Party was already the most popular party in America) responding to Greta van Susteren:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sorry, Mikey, not close enough, not nearly close enough until people like you are just a bad memory.

I'm starting to wonder how many people at this forum have any real understanding of the Tea Party.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2012, 11:31:41 AM »

Romney needs a social moderate, economically conservative VP candidate, I think Condi could help the ticket.  The only concern I have is her connections to Bush.  I'm not much of a fan of social conservatives, but Huckabee seems like a nice guy.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2012, 11:36:05 AM »

I've said that the GOP nominating Romney this year is like them nominating G.H.W. Bush in 1980.

This pick would be like Bush being the 1980 nominee and picking former Sen. Edward Brooke (R-MA).

I think it could lock up the Wall Street Republican vote for Romney.

Are you seriously comparing Condoleezza Rice to Ed Brooke?
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2012, 01:02:43 PM »

WhyteRain doesn't think the Tea Party is socially conservative, lol.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2012, 01:06:54 PM »

Don't hate me cuz I'm better informed than you.

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2012, 01:11:39 PM »

Actually, my friend, you're only slightly better informed than a brain-damaged chicken.

We don't hate brain-damaged chickens. We just feel sorry for them.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2012, 01:29:02 PM »

Actually, my friend, you're only slightly better informed than a brain-damaged chicken.

We don't hate brain-damaged chickens. We just feel sorry for them.

Time for you to put up or shut up.

Give us all your evidence that the Tea Party is a social conservative organization.  You can have help from your friends.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2012, 01:30:16 PM »

Well, Condi has picked up the most powerful endorsement in the Republican Party.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/07/13/palin_condi_rice_would_be_a_wonderful_vice_president.html
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2012, 01:33:13 PM »

If liberals compared Rice to Palin, well, it would be really insulting to Rice.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2012, 01:40:45 PM »

Apparently Palin "forget" (that is, probably never knew) that the Vice President is President of the U.S. Senate.
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2012, 01:56:40 PM »

Palin would say a squirrel is a great candidate if it was running against Obama.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2012, 03:00:03 PM »

Palin is the most accomplished female politician of her age in American history and the most powerful figure in the country nowadays in terms of endorsements.  And she did it all without a rich daddy or hubby.

What's Rice done?

Look people, it's obvious that you all bought into the MSM narrative that "Palin is a fool and a fraud".  She's not and you're stupid for thinking so.  But I know you feel that way (without any evidence), so you don't need to keep barking like MSM-trained seals about it.

I've offered on several occasions to take this bet, but no one of you has taken me up on it yet:

I'll list something really idiotic that Obama has said, then you do the same for Palin.  And we'll see who runs out of material first.

If you don't want to take the bet, I understand, but then stop irritating me and embarrassing yourselves with your unreality-based hatred of Palin.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2012, 03:02:10 PM »

Palin is the most accomplished female politician of her age in American history and the most powerful figure in the country nowadays in terms of endorsements.  And she did it all without a rich daddy or hubby.

What's Rice done?

Look people, it's obvious that you all bought into the MSM narrative that "Palin is a fool and a fraud".  She's not and you're stupid for thinking so.  But I know you feel that way (without any evidence), so you don't need to keep barking like MSM-trained seals about it.

I've offered on several occasions to take this bet, but no one of you has taken me up on it yet:

I'll list something really idiotic that Obama has said, then you do the same for Palin.  And we'll see who runs out of material first.

If you don't want to take the bet, I understand, but then stop irritating me and embarrassing yourselves with your unreality-based hatred of Palin.
We're not talking about Obama and Palin. We're talking about Rice and Palin. Rice is not a political icon - she's an intellectual - a foreign polic expert.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies