2012-2016: The Republican Recovery?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:25:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2012-2016: The Republican Recovery?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2012-2016: The Republican Recovery?  (Read 2850 times)
President von Cat
captain copernicus

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 10, 2012, 08:55:51 AM »
« edited: July 10, 2012, 10:54:12 AM by KINGTHLAYER »

ROMNEY ELECTED 45TH PRESIDENT

"And this is huge.. we can now project that Mitt Willard Romney has been elected the 45th president of the United States. With the final projection in from Virginia, Romney has squeaked ahead with 49.9 percent of the vote to President Obama's 49.8 percent. Romney campaigned heavily in northern Virginia warning of Obama's cuts to defense, which is one of the region's biggest employers. Though Obama maintained a strong showing in the state compared to past Democratic candidates, he was unable to replicate his impressive 2008 victory."

Romney looked shaky at the outset of the evening, as he failed to flip Pennsylvania and lost Ohio by a razor thin margin. However, the Massachusetts governor made up ground with gains out west and in the Democrats' backyard: New Hampshire. Romney was also able to pull Iowa away from Democrats, though the president's endorsement of same sex marriage and his stance on immigration hurt him there.

President Obama ran a good campaign but was unable to overcome economic headwinds that have sunk incumbents elsewhere around the world, including Gordon Brown and Nicolas Sarkozy. The unemployment rate, which ticked up to 8.3% in August, has since dropped back to 8.1%, but has remained at what even he called 'unacceptably high' levels for his entire term.

While some in the camp will be happy that the worst case scenario of a Romney landslide was avoided, this will surely be a long night for the presidents and Democrats around the country.

FINAL TALLY:

ROMNEY (R) 273
OBAMA (D) 265

REPUBLICAN PICKUPS: CO, FL, IA, IN, NC, NH, NV, VA

CLOSEST STATES:
VIRGINIA - ROMNEY 49.9, OBAMA 49.8
OHIO - OBAMA 49.9, ROMNEY 49.7

PRESIDENT ELECT ROMNEY

"It has been a long, dark four years for the United States, but today its decline is over! We stand here tonight not as victorious Republicans, but victorious Americans. This is our moment to restore our country to the values on which it was found. Our belief in the goodness and freedom of America propelled us to victory, and it will propel us to success over the next four years of my term. I believe in an America where every American believes in America, because thats the kind of America my father wanted for me.  Thats the kind of America I want for my children, and their children, and their children's children. That was Ronald Reagan's America. That Abraham Lincoln's America. And thats the kind of America I will deliver to you. Thank you for your support, now lets go on to Washington and restore faith in this country!"

PRESIDENT OBAMA

"To all those who stood four years ago, full of hope, and vigor, those who stood tall and shouted 'YES WE CAN!,' do not be discouraged. We knew we could do big things in 2008, and over the past four years we proved to ourselves just how big those things could be. Although I would have wanted to lead you for another four years, this was never about me. It was always about you - making your lives better. Four years ago, insurance companies could turn you away for a pre-existing condition, and now they cannot. Four years ago, gays in the military had to hide who they truly were, and now they do not have to. Four years ago, our auto industry stood on the brink of collapse, and now its competitive again. Four years ago, our global reputation was in tatters, but is now restored. President elect Romney will have the chance to make gains on our progress since 2008. Stand with him, because remember - there is no red America, nor blue America. There is just the United States of America! That has always been our dream, and that dream lives on into 2013 and beyond. Thank you, and may god bless you, and may god bless the United States of America."
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 10:30:53 AM »

Interesting...but why not just use this -- https://uselectionatlas.org/TOOLS/evcalc.php?
President von Cat
captain copernicus

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 10:54:31 AM »

Thanks, subbed that in!
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 11:01:55 AM »

Good start! I look forward to reading this. Smiley
GLPman
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 11:07:59 AM »

Excited for the next update!
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 03:22:31 PM »

New Hampshire is a swing state, and there will never be a Republican recovery until our party educates the public about what we really believe.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 04:08:03 PM »

And if Portman is on the ticket how in the wrld does Obama wins Ohio. Obama 268, Romney 270 should be more like it.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 06:16:06 PM »

Looking forward to this.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 11:17:52 PM »

Vote UKIP!
MasterSanders
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 11:29:26 AM »

How does Romney win while losing Ohio? Wink
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 02:00:09 PM »

I could see Romney winning without Ohio. New Hampshire, Virgnia, and Florida are the three key states I'll be watching on election night.

CO,NV,IA, and NH are the critical states, OH and VA I think will go GOP.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 06:53:50 PM »

I could see Romney winning without Ohio. New Hampshire, Virgnia, and Florida are the three key states I'll be watching on election night.

CO,NV,IA, and NH are the critical states, OH and VA I think will go GOP.
Obama has had a consistent lead in Colorado, Nevada, Ohio, and Virginia. Iowa and New Hampshire are tied. The only poll that had Romneh ahead in Ohio was a Rasmussen poll that was widely disregarded. Virginia has been in Obama's column by at least 3 points in every poll.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 11:52:00 AM »

It's still early and Ohio is the ultimate swing state (much like Illinois in the 60s-80s), so Romney could still win there.  I've seen a couple other polls that had him leading there.  Here are the states I will be watching the closest on Election Night:

Colorado
Florida
Iowa
Michigan
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Mexico
North Carolina
Ohio
Pennsylvania
Virginia
Wisconsin

Furthermore, I will include my list of "semi-swing states", which are states that I feel lean toward one candidate at this time but could vote differently on Election Day:

Arizona
Indiana
Maine
Minnesota
Missouri
Nebraska's 2nd Congressional District
Oregon
Washington
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length