Summarize Previous Poster's Political Beliefs
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:11:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Summarize Previous Poster's Political Beliefs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 18
Author Topic: Summarize Previous Poster's Political Beliefs  (Read 40392 times)
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: July 30, 2012, 02:45:11 PM »

Simfan: At first glance a moderate Republican; a Northeastern Huntsman supporter. In some ways that interpretation is accurate; he does support marriage equality and is pragmatic on many issues. However, when you get to know him, it is clear that he has authoritarian leans (though not to mint's extent), as well as a near-fetishization of the upper class.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #176 on: July 30, 2012, 04:06:03 PM »

Seems fairly left-wing.  Likes teh poe-knees.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #177 on: July 30, 2012, 04:23:28 PM »

Often-insanely pro-Palestine left-wing fanatic. That's pretty much all I know about him.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #178 on: July 30, 2012, 04:46:16 PM »

Young from what I recall. Probably raised in a liberal family somewhere in NYC. Grew up with their values. Not a rub against him, that's just the way things are. His signature, showing some happy anim'e dude, suggests that this guy is happy and enthusiastic an amount of the time. Good for him.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #179 on: July 30, 2012, 04:50:13 PM »

Young from what I recall. Probably raised in a liberal family somewhere in NYC. Grew up with their values. Not a rub against him, that's just the way things are. His signature, showing some happy anim'e dude, suggests that this guy is happy and enthusiastic an amount of the time. Good for him.

Upstate, but other than that, it's pretty accurate. My mom's family is kinda hippie-esque.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #180 on: July 30, 2012, 10:32:31 PM »

As stated, a hippie-esque American Liberal. Very supportive of President Obama I take it Smiley
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #181 on: August 10, 2012, 10:28:54 AM »

American Paleo-Conservative, probably most fits with the Constitution Party. Nonetheless, he joined here as a Libertarian and is now a Republican. I take it he'll try to be active with a number of centre-right groups as time goes on, but eventually be forced to make a decision.

Pat Buchanan might also describe his views well. A Paleo-Con with a protectionist side. However, Sanchez seems to have dropped hints of racism that he may have came here with and thus not be as in support of him as was likely. Nevertheless, I feel confident that the Chairman would have voted for Pat thrice had he been a registered voter at the time.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #182 on: August 10, 2012, 10:46:43 AM »

Cath is an interesting creature. On the surface, one might just think "socially conservative Catholic", but the story is much deeper. He holds not only a traditionalist side, but elements of misogyny (though some of this may be for the sake of humor). He also has a soft spot for underhanded political tactics and wishes to be an "elite" and a career politician. His idol, Richard Nixon, sums him up well; conservative but pragmatic.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #183 on: August 10, 2012, 11:04:59 AM »

What a right winger!
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #184 on: August 10, 2012, 11:53:58 AM »

To the extent Kal weighs in the public policy matters, rather than comment on the rather fascinating array of Atlasian personalities, a seemingly reasonably sane and practical standard issue liberal who would fit well into the mainstream of the Dem party.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #185 on: August 10, 2012, 12:44:01 PM »

Both instinctively and politically conservative in something like the old-style Far Western manner, although he might dispute this and many of his policy prescriptions are quite moderate by the current standards of his party. Somehow I can see him either liking Goldwater very much indeed or being seriously concerned about him in '64. I wouldn't describe him as socially conservative in the traditionalist or religious sense at all, except perhaps for some latent underlying assumptions about the way the world works. Something tells me he might also dispute the term 'libertarian', even though I think to an extent it applies, in a 'moderate' sense.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #186 on: August 10, 2012, 01:00:44 PM »
« Edited: August 10, 2012, 01:05:40 PM by Torie »

Interesting paragraph about me Nathan. Goldwater was not fit for office, but I got my parents to vote for him based on the supposition that it would be best to keep LBJ's margin down.

I dispute I have much of a libertarian streak in me, beyond being chill about the life style choices of individuals. I understand that in a modern complex, diverse society, transfer payments and a social safety net, are necessary, and also profoundly believe that we need to do better, much better, in affording folks a more equal opportunity to more fully realize their potential, starting with a fundamental cleansing of our secondary school system, something that to do right, is going to cost considerably more money than we are spending now to get the kind of teachers these kids need and deserve (while canning the mediocre and incompetent in droves). In fact, the suck schools are part of a larger syndrome of what I consider a massive f'ing of the youngs by the olds (which should not be occurring, at least not outside the bedroom Tongue), so we have a generational equity issue in play that is festering, and may turn gangrenous.

But yes, I also think I have an array of rather conservative instincts, and do believe in the market system, and on a world wide basis, bearing in mind that positive and negative externalities need to be appropriately addressed, that are not internalized into the price system.

Someone else take a crack at Nathan (you had better say nice things about him!), and skip me of course. I don't want to dominate this place. Smiley
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #187 on: August 10, 2012, 01:04:35 PM »

So close to a decent amoral hedonistic economic vampirism, but alas marred by an offensive Horatio Alger pretense (or delusion?)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #188 on: August 10, 2012, 01:07:28 PM »

So close to a decent amoral hedonistic economic vampirism, but alas marred by an offensive Horatio Alger pretense (or delusion?)

That is not a very nice characterization of Nathan.

By the way, you keep bringing up the wholly inappropriate Horatio Alger meme. Why?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #189 on: August 10, 2012, 04:23:23 PM »

The embodiment of solid bourgeois respectability in baby-boomer form.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #190 on: August 10, 2012, 04:28:01 PM »

Thoughtfully integrates Postmodern insights into his views without turning tedious and unreadable, opposed to Positivism and carrying a healthy distrust of Progress, combining leftist instincts with an instinctive intellectual hostility towards snap judgements and the arrogant presumption of intellectual superiority that so many on the left have...indeed, given his Foucauldian background, he even has a healthy distrust of the entire basis of the foundations of "knowledge" that underpins intellectual thought to begin with.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #191 on: August 10, 2012, 04:28:57 PM »

Torie: a secular conservative and moderate Republican by today's standards, but more of a mainstream, fiscally prudent, generally pro "laissez faire" Republican by the standards of the past. Highly educated in his views, especially considering the modern Republican Party's tendencies. Thoughtful and willing to listen to opposing arguments, despite his fundamentally right-wing economic views. Something of an "elitist" in that he doesn't like populist appeals and demagoguery towards the educated, the wealthy, and the intellectual, on either side.

Smiley
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #192 on: August 10, 2012, 04:29:09 PM »

I'm willing to accept 'close to decent' and 'marred', and possibly 'offensive' and 'delusion' according to opinion, but the rest of this sentence is wildly off-base.

*skip*
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #193 on: August 10, 2012, 04:44:47 PM »

Dammit, PR, you totally skipped me, and then you did Nathan despite him putting Skip in his post.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #194 on: August 10, 2012, 04:45:27 PM »

Dammit, PR, you totally skipped me, and then you did Nathan despite him putting Skip in his post.

Whoops. Sad

Sorry.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #195 on: August 10, 2012, 05:39:21 PM »

So, who's supposed to be doing whom right now?
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #196 on: August 10, 2012, 05:40:29 PM »

pretend I'm mikado
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #197 on: August 10, 2012, 05:52:16 PM »

I'm willing to accept 'close to decent' and 'marred', and possibly 'offensive' and 'delusion' according to opinion, but the rest of this sentence is wildly off-base.

It was of Torie, obviously, guys.

By the way, you keep bringing up the wholly inappropriate Horatio Alger meme. Why?

The thing that most offends me about your political position is that it makes claims that poors can better themselves or are somehow responsible for their own misfortunes.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #198 on: August 10, 2012, 06:13:11 PM »

Oh okay. That makes a bit more sense.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #199 on: August 10, 2012, 06:31:38 PM »

Oh okay. That makes a bit more sense.

I was counter-punching at my interlocutor, and used you as my glove. Sorry buddy.  Tongue 

No obebo, you really miss it. Yes, you really do. I'm into increasing the odds that the poors can better themselves. I hope that helps.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 18  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies