slavery reparations
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:22:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  slavery reparations
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Where do you stand on slavery reparations
for

against

not sure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: slavery reparations  (Read 7127 times)
senatortombstone
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 20, 2005, 03:20:02 PM »

To me it's a non-issue and preposterous, but there are some out there demanding reparations.  These people want huge checks cut that would bankrupt the country.  Sometimes corporations like Atena get sued for insuring slaves back in the 1850's.  Of course most Americans agree that reparations should not be paid, and that it is merely another attempt to redistribute the wealth.  Still, this issue never ceases to infuriate me when it is brought up.

A question I have for you all, is if you know of any families that are being attacked for profiting from slavery.  A while back on FOXNEWS, a black reparations activist mentioned a family that obtained its wealth from slavery, but I forgot to whom he was referring.  Links please.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 03:28:21 PM »

Reparations should have been made immediately following the Civil War by enslaving the Southern Whites for a time under the ownership of the Blacks. 

Say 40 years or till death, whichever came first, so that the whole Reparations project would have been over by 1905.  This would not only have repayed some of the economic damage, it would have worked out some of the hatreds and lack of understanding we see to this day. 
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 03:56:13 PM »

I would favor reparations to anyone who was a slave in the US.
senatortombstone
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 04:14:32 PM »

If I remember correctly, the black activist, whom I saw on FOXNEWS was referring to the Duke Family.  Washington Duke was a Confederate who got rich from tobacco farming.  According to one website thoguh, he didn't accumilate his wealth  through slavery and that he only owned one houseslave.  Of course according to the greedy, lazy, commie reparation-mongers, his descendents should be forced to liquidate their wealth and property and give it to liberal black causes.

And what about all of these reparations lawsuits?

I look forward to the day when whites are no longer the majority and when Blacks, Asians and Hispanics outnumber us.  Then they won't be able to cry victim any longer.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 04:29:40 PM »

I remember seeing a guy on Fox who wanted Reparations but he said something like 40 years which had something to do with the time of the income tax to the civil rights movement. It was on Hannity & Colmes. Unless we are thinking of two different people. Searched couldn't find it.

But if we are going to do reparations, let be fair about it.
http://www.lewrockwell.com/dilorenzo/dilorenzo27.html
Reparations for Southerners

Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2005, 04:53:50 PM »

Reparations are a bad Idea.   David Horowitz (I think thats his name) wrotea interesting article a few years about it titled 10 reasons why reparations are a bad idea.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2005, 04:58:18 PM »

Againsts.

I might have been for it when there were actually slaves and slaveowners still alive, though I'm unsure, but that is not the case so it is not an issue. Let's not punish people today for the transgressions of their ancesters - the sins of the father do not pass unto the son. I have to wonder if there's anyone of European descent that thinks I should give them reparations for what my Viking ancestors did to their ancestors. It's in the past - I'm not responsible for either slavery or Vikings pillaging stuff, so I can't be expected to pay for either.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2005, 04:59:10 PM »

40 acres and a mule!
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2005, 05:00:54 PM »

Around where I lived back in Missouri would be around $200,000-$400,000!  And that's not counting the Mule.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2005, 05:01:41 PM »

I would favor reparations to anyone who was a slave in the US.
Yes.  I agree.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2005, 05:18:12 PM »

Ah, if you are half black, do you get 20 acres and a goat?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2005, 05:30:46 PM »

Unless some people were either slaves themselves or were directly affected in some way by slavery, there's no reason to give any of those people reparations.  Reparations for what?  Being distantly related to someone who happened to be a slave?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2005, 05:35:28 PM »

I will be more favorably disposed to reparations, right after I get Pittsburgh, PA back.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2005, 05:37:10 PM »

Unless some people were either slaves themselves or were directly affected in some way by slavery, there's no reason to give any of those people reparations.  Reparations for what?  Being distantly related to someone who happened to be a slave?

They've been terribly oppressed most of the time since slavery.  In addition poverty continues over generations, so slavery partially caused blacks current dire economic plight.

I agree it is very awkward to make reparations now, but something major should've been done in the 19th century, such as my idea of enslaving the crackers.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2005, 05:38:27 PM »

No Attainder.

I agree with J.J. here.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2005, 05:38:32 PM »

They've been terribly oppressed most of the time since slavery.  In addition poverty continues over generations, so slavery partially caused blacks current dire economic plight.

I won't argue with that, but that was then, and just throwing money at them isn't going to make anything better.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2005, 05:53:53 PM »

Every living slave in the US should be paid reparations by every living slaveholder, prior to 1861 if living in the Seceding states and 1865 in the states that didn't.

$0 would by paid by 0 ex-slaveholders to 0 ex-slaves.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2005, 07:36:40 PM »

I'm very strongly against reparations. Gabu made a good point, these people have never been slaves, and it's ridiculous to send them big fat checks for happening to be related to former slaves.

The only way this would make sense is if it was during Reconstruction- I would have supported reimbursing actual slaves. That would have been the right thing to do. Now, it's just ridiculous.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2005, 08:26:44 PM »

preposterous idea, whos going to be able to trace everyone to slaves, besides many wouldnt have much good to do with the money
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2005, 08:27:34 PM »

They've been terribly oppressed most of the time since slavery.  In addition poverty continues over generations, so slavery partially caused blacks current dire economic plight.

I won't argue with that, but that was then, and just throwing money at them isn't going to make anything better.

Indeed - they'll probably just demand more, or others will demand money as well.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2005, 08:47:56 PM »

Every living slave in the US should be paid reparations by every living slaveholder, prior to 1861 if living in the Seceding states and 1865 in the states that didn't.

$0 would by paid by 0 ex-slaveholders to 0 ex-slaves.

I agree with the excellant point made by Daniel.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2005, 09:00:55 PM »

Interestingly, I've heard Johnnie Cochran discuss this.  He's made the point that it wouldn't go to the people, but into community development.  I guess that this would be by census track and ZIP Code.  If so, I would be the beneficiary of "reparations."
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2005, 09:14:42 PM »

It would be hilarious to find blacks with ancestors from VA, GA, SC, and LA being told that, in fact, they will need to pay reparations because their ancestors owned the most brutal plantations in the entire South.

Or, better still, descendents of west African slave catchers in Senegal to Cameroon, who earn less than $500 a year, paying reparations to NYC hood rats who spend $500 dollars a month on basketball attire alone.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2005, 09:27:04 PM »

It would be hilarious to find blacks with ancestors from VA, GA, SC, and LA being told that, in fact, they will need to pay reparations because their ancestors owned the most brutal plantations in the entire South.

Or, better still, descendents of west African slave catchers in Senegal to Cameroon, who earn less than $500 a year, paying reparations to NYC hood rats who spend $500 dollars a month on basketball attire alone.

very nice
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2005, 10:34:56 PM »

Count Southern Whites whose ancestors owned slaves as 3/5's of a human being.

Perfect Reparation.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies