Moderate Republicans
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:34:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Moderate Republicans
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Moderate Republicans  (Read 11868 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2012, 08:03:02 AM »

IndepndentTX, I'm not trying to debate over what's right and wrong, I'm trying to see why liberalization of laws regarding things such as marijuana, abortion, and gay marriage should be classified as "conservative". The only answer I've gotten is "he was called Mr. Conservative". My own views on the issues should probably go under political debate or individual politics. Only reason this specific debate is here is due to Mr. Peeperkorn's assertion. Thank  you for your input, though.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2012, 10:20:33 AM »

IndepndentTX, I'm not trying to debate over what's right and wrong, I'm trying to see why liberalization of laws regarding things such as marijuana, abortion, and gay marriage should be classified as "conservative". The only answer I've gotten is "he was called Mr. Conservative". My own views on the issues should probably go under political debate or individual politics. Only reason this specific debate is here is due to Mr. Peeperkorn's assertion. Thank  you for your input, though.

Labels like "Mr. Conservative" are a product of their times. In 1964 the conservative platform was geared to a rollback of the New Deal and firm policy against the USSR. Social issues did not start to emerge until the late 70's and 80's; for example the Moral Majority was not founded until 1979. Goldwater's label accurately reflected his position and the conservative movement then, it would not reflect it today. Goldwater was never a fan of religious organizations driving the conservative movement and that led to his split with conservatives in the 1980's.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2012, 01:01:14 PM »

The conservative mantra has shifted even over the last 10 years, sadly, to the party's detriment. While fiscal conservatism can play in about 60% of the country, social conservatism only plays in about 40%. And while it plays really well right now in that 40%, it's simply not a long-term winning strategy. You can't keep culture from changing, you really can't.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2012, 02:52:58 PM »

I don't consider myself a moderate (with the exception of some environmental issues and some social issues where I take a more libertarian approach), but it drives me nuts when the party acts like a bunch of hacks and is unwilling to compromise.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2012, 03:26:51 PM »

I don't consider myself a moderate (with the exception of some environmental issues and some social issues fiscal and labor issues where I take a more libertarian communitarian approach), but it drives me nuts when the party acts like a bunch of hacks and is unwilling to compromise.

^^^ Basically this.

Oddly even more than being unwilling to compromise, the Republicans' problem is also they we are marketing ourselves as unwilling to compromise. Sort of like how some of the left on here like nothing more to advertise how extreme they are, the GOP seems to be trying to do this in real life. A lot of times that's a bigger electoral problem than whether or not we're willing to compromise in the first place.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2012, 01:04:27 AM »

You all get it. Many of us here are rather right wing, but it's the attitude I take the most issue with as opposed to any particular stance on policy.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2012, 04:24:07 PM »

That NC-SC poster, Duke, is a moderate republican. Dereich and ajc, both from Florida, are moderate  GOPers, too. Redcommander used to be moderate, not anymore. Tory, Clarence and Tmth would be considered moderate republicans in today's GOP, but they're not "moderate". They are sane conservatives.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2012, 08:30:54 PM »

That NC-SC poster, Duke, is a moderate republican. Dereich and ajc, both from Florida, are moderate  GOPers, too. Redcommander used to be moderate, not anymore. Tory, Clarence and Tmth would be considered moderate republicans in today's GOP, but they're not "moderate". They are sane conservatives.

Ajc is
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2012, 12:45:28 AM »

I feel ignored.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2012, 12:48:30 AM »

I'm honored to be categorized with Torie and Clarence.

I'm even more honored you think I'm sane! Tongue
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2012, 01:45:49 AM »

I feel ignored.

I'd put you with Torie, Clarence, and Tmth in Julio's classification (I might not in most other contexts, but I would in this one).
FreedomFighter
Rookie

« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2012, 09:18:34 AM »

There are no moderate Republicans. There all out to repress the people in favour of greedy big business and outdated religious beliefs.
BritishDixie
United Kingdom

« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2012, 09:28:18 AM »

There are no moderate Republicans. There all out to repress the people in favour of greedy big business and outdated religious beliefs.

Wut?
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2012, 11:18:50 AM »

I feel ignored.

As do I. 
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2012, 12:15:21 PM »

And there you have it.  Tongue  It is impossible to be Godless and a Pub. By the way, are all religious beliefs "outdated," or just some?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: July 04, 2012, 10:28:44 PM »

TheReporter, is that you?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2012, 12:13:08 AM »

I feel ignored.
You are a reactionary by your own admission, aren't you?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2012, 05:34:01 PM »

I feel ignored.

But most of my positions on major issues would put me in the "moderate" camp of the GOP.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2012, 06:10:15 PM »

I feel ignored.

But most of my positions on major issues would put me in the "moderate" camp of the GOP.

That says considerably more about the GOP than about you, to be quite honest.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #69 on: July 05, 2012, 07:02:19 PM »

I don't consider myself a moderate (with the exception of some environmental issues and some social issues fiscal and labor issues where I take a more libertarian communitarian approach), but it drives me nuts when the party acts like a bunch of hacks and is unwilling to compromise.

^^^ Basically this.

Oddly even more than being unwilling to compromise, the Republicans' problem is also they we are marketing ourselves as unwilling to compromise. Sort of like how some of the left on here like nothing more to advertise how extreme they are, the GOP seems to be trying to do this in real life. A lot of times that's a bigger electoral problem than whether or not we're willing to compromise in the first place.

They had to to win the Tea Party vote (and to avoid getting primaried)... now they're stuck.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2012, 12:04:34 AM »

I feel ignored.

That says considerably more about the GOP than about you, to be quite honest.

The issues I am truly reactionary on are usually not major issues. Often I can also term myself a "big government conservative", supportive of a strong central government and state in general.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2012, 10:42:00 AM »

being for abortion has nothing to do with the right wing. abortion was quite common place in the ancient world, and legal for much of us history up until around the 19th century when it began to be more regulated. and there are quite a few on the right that favor abortion because it 'reduces crime or the welfare rolls'.  likewise marijuana was legal most of us history and really has virtually nothing to do with ideology whatsoever, although obviously there was and still is a distinct racial component to that.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2012, 08:26:05 PM »

I think it's funny that the "neo-cons," "Culture warriors," and "moderates" all think they are different from one another. Their policies are almost identical.

The only group in the GOP that really distinguishes itself is the liberty/ paleo-con wing.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2012, 08:31:47 PM »

I think it's funny that the "neo-cons," "Culture warriors," and "moderates" all think they are different from one another. Their policies are almost identical.

The only group in the GOP that really distinguishes itself is the liberty/ paleo-con wing.

Which you happen to be part of. How convenient. And what a large and significant wing it is, having so much voice in what goes on within the party.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2012, 01:43:37 PM »

I think we've stretched the definition of "moderate" a bit too far in some cases, like Dick Lugar. Sure he's not that conservative, but he's also not a moderate.

He cooperated on a bill with Democrats in one instance. That makes him a RINO.

Quite pathetic they would chuck him out for that. I would agree that the Republican far-right e.g. Bachmann, Cain and Palin, have taken over the party and castigated anyone who is not 100% with them as a RINO. Although the Democrats did the same to Lieberman, despite him agreeing with the Party 70% of the time or so.

In defense of what happened with Lieberman, part of the 30% there was the overwhelmingly dominant political issue in America at the time (the Iraq War), and the Senate Democratic Caucus let him keep his committee assignments afterwards.

Also, lieberman made a name for himself after his disasterous 04 pres bid for endlessly bitching about the sorry state of the Democratic Party. He became utterly embittered about primary voters not recognizing his greatness and turned against some fundamental views out of spite (including universal healthcare--he single-handedly scuttled the public option).

After going on every Sunday morning show or telling every reporter in sight about how much the Democratic Party had lost it's way, it was natural he wasted a lot of good will. Add to that his opposition on the most dvisive issue of the time at odds with the VAST majority of his party in a decidedly blue state and, well, the results can hardly have been unexpected.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies