do white liberals tend to be more clannish than white conservatives?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:58:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  do white liberals tend to be more clannish than white conservatives?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: do white liberals tend to be more clannish than white conservatives?  (Read 1526 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 18, 2012, 02:22:49 PM »

One thing I've noticed is that if the census didn't count minorities and CDs were drawn on the basis of whites, that white democrats would be even more concentrated then white conservatives are. For the record, a 50% Obama district would have a D+5 PVI in this scenario. Anyways, it seems that white liberals tend to be more self packing.

Many white liberals, such as myself, feel minorities in their own country due to our liberal views and don't want to be in a white middle class conservative culture. So they tend to create areas where they can feel at home such as Vermont, most of Manhattan, Venice Beach, Seattle etc. It seems to have become more apparent in recent times. 50 years ago, democrats didn't seem to find the need to create lifestyle enclaves. But it is really lifestyle as the main reason why Manhattan, Seattle etc are very democrat and liberal.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 02:57:03 PM »

I don't think your premise is correct. White conservatives flock in droves to new suburbs in the sunbelt. Everybody is most comfortable amongst their own kind.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 04:02:46 PM »

I don't think your premise is correct. White conservatives flock in droves to new suburbs in the sunbelt. Everybody is most comfortable amongst their own kind.

Yep, conservatives tend to be less open to different people than liberals are.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 04:39:54 PM »
« Edited: June 19, 2012, 11:46:07 AM by opebo »

Yes in St. Louis white educated liberals nearly all live in the central suburbs - Clayton, Richmond Heights, Brentwood, Webster Groves, Kirkwood, parts of University City, and bits of Olivette, Creve Coeur  and a few parts of West County.   The live in these areas I suppose because the quality of life there is slightly less abysmal than in other areas.

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 08:58:51 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2012, 10:34:21 PM by Torie »

It is more about life style choices than political ideology per se. It is just that life style choices these days have a rather high correlation with ideology. I myself, would be very happy living in Manhattan, S.F., or Berkeley (provided it were in the hills). Seattle or Portland would be a groove too, if those places had more sun. And I was happy living in Hyde Park in Chicago, where in my precinct, it went 91% McGovern, 9% Nixon. I was part of the 9%. No problem. I even wore a Nixon button on my jacket when I voted. Tongue

In a word, I don't choose my friends, and the folks I run with, my aesthetic taste, and how I spend my time, based on political  ideology. That would be well - dumb. Why box yourself in that way?
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 09:58:27 PM »

And I was happy living in Hyde Park in Chicago, where in my precinct, it went 91% McGovern, 9% Nixon. I was part of the 9%. No problem. I even wore a Nixon button on my jacket when I voted. Tongue

I didn't know you lived there then. Did you live in the 1st CD or 2nd CD? Because the 1970s version of IL 2 probably sets the record for most demographic change of a CD in a 10 year period. In 1970, the district was 55% White and 40% Black. By 1980 it was 77% Black and 15% White.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 10:31:36 PM »

And I was happy living in Hyde Park in Chicago, where in my precinct, it went 91% McGovern, 9% Nixon. I was part of the 9%. No problem. I even wore a Nixon button on my jacket when I voted. Tongue

I didn't know you lived there then. Did you live in the 1st CD or 2nd CD? Because the 1970s version of IL 2 probably sets the record for most demographic change of a CD in a 10 year period. In 1970, the district was 55% White and 40% Black. By 1980 it was 77% Black and 15% White.

Oh the CD was probably 80% black then (it was the black Chicago southside CD), and my precinct maybe 50% black (on the edge of Hyde Park - I will put up a screen shot of its location later). I lived in a maybe 50 unit apartment building owned  by the university, were other than freshmen undergraduate students, but only undergraduate students, could live. When for my 5th year, I was officially parked in the graduate school of business (where I had been taking classes exclusively during my 4th year as an undergraduate), I had to move out for my final 5th year in Hyde Park.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 11:17:15 PM »

Oh the CD was probably 80% black then (it was the black Chicago southside CD), and my precinct maybe 50% black (on the edge of Hyde Park - I will put up a screen shot of its location later). I lived in a maybe 50 unit apartment building owned  by the university, were other than freshmen undergraduate students, but only undergraduate students, could live. When for my 5th year, I was officially parked in the graduate school of business (where I had been taking classes exclusively during my 4th year as an undergraduate), I had to move out for my final 5th year in Hyde Park.

oh, so it was probably in the Metcalfe CD i'm guessing?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 11:24:15 AM »

oh, so it was probably in the Metcalfe CD i'm guessing?

That sounds right. Anyway, the "A" on the map below is where I lived during my 4th year in November of 1972.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies