The Scots don't like Thatcher....
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 10:20:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  The Scots don't like Thatcher....
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Scots don't like Thatcher....  (Read 2480 times)
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 06, 2012, 02:35:18 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvzjB-lX4Is
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 02:38:08 AM »
« Edited: June 06, 2012, 03:06:49 AM by a peculiar noise called "train director" »

Seen before. Don't blame them either, she put the final nail in the coffin for Britain as a power of any consequence and created a huge, destructive rift in British society. History in the long term will not remember her kindly...
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 05:44:59 AM »

Seen before. Don't blame them either, she put the final nail in the coffin for Britain as a power of any consequence and created a huge, destructive rift in British society. History in the long term will not remember her kindly...

I think the crowd has several motivations behind hating Thatcher.  And given your posting history I don't think you would agree with the fans' other reasons to despise Maggie.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 06:20:41 AM »
« Edited: June 06, 2012, 06:26:09 AM by a peculiar noise called "train director" »

I think the crowd has several motivations behind hating Thatcher.  And given your posting history I don't think you would agree with the fans' other reasons to despise Maggie.

The poll tax? The decimation of manufacturing? Privatization? The use of the police as a political force?
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 06:45:28 AM »

I think the crowd has several motivations behind hating Thatcher.  And given your posting history I don't think you would agree with the fans' other reasons to despise Maggie.

The poll tax? The decimation of manufacturing? Privatization? The use of the police as a political force?

No, it is a Celtic FC ultra.  Some among the crowd would not be particularly happy with Thatcher's policies in Northern Ireland.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 08:01:35 AM »

No, it is a Celtic FC ultra.  Some among the crowd would not be particularly happy with Thatcher's policies in Northern Ireland.

Ah, true.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 08:53:11 AM »

Some people probably will have a party.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 09:55:11 AM »

Goes beyond Scottish borders too.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 10:01:14 AM »

Umm...how so?
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 10:48:22 AM »

I am completely and utterly shocked.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 11:26:04 AM »

Umm...how so?

Have you actually done any research on Thatcher beyond the fact she was a Tory?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 02:13:56 PM »

Umm...how so?

Yes. Have you? Or, more specifically, could you explain how Thatcher was responsible for British decline and how she created a giant rift in British society and how the future will hate her? The first and last of those seem, to me, clearly incorrect and I'm not entirely certain what you mean by the second.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 02:44:51 PM »

Umm...how so?

Yes. Have you? Or, more specifically, could you explain how Thatcher was responsible for British decline and how she created a giant rift in British society and how the future will hate her? The first and last of those seem, to me, clearly incorrect and I'm not entirely certain what you mean by the second.

Vast inequality, the destruction of British manufacturing, the redistribution of wealth from the poor to the rich... she's already pretty much loathed by most Britons outside of the South of England. Her policies put millions out of work.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2012, 07:31:05 AM »

If you argue that Thatcher killed manufacturing in Britain, you sort of forget that manufacturing were dying all over western Europe at the time. Sure Thatcher's policies might have sped up the process in the UK, but it still happened in most western countries at the time. And speeding it up might actually have been a rather good thing as the white-collar based economy of modern western Europe was created in Britain much faster than in say Sweden or France.

As for saying that Thatcher has no popularity ignores the fact that she won three elections, and her annointed successor one after her. It took Labour 18 years, and either adopting or accepting large parts of her policy to manage to actually get back in government. And considering most politicians popularity increases after they leave office, I doubt she is more unpopular today than she was back then. Not that I'm denying that large groups of people hate her with a dying passion, but most people outside of Southern Britain is probably quite an exageration.
freefair
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2012, 12:09:07 PM »

The Tories had Dozens of Scottish MP's until mid 1997. It was Major and Westminsteritus that killed them.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2012, 01:22:30 PM »

If you argue that Thatcher killed manufacturing in Britain, you sort of forget that manufacturing were dying all over western Europe at the time. Sure Thatcher's policies might have sped up the process in the UK, but it still happened in most western countries at the time. And speeding it up might actually have been a rather good thing as the white-collar based economy of modern western Europe was created in Britain much faster than in say Sweden or France.

There's no doubt at all that the Thatcher government's policies sped up (and so made infinitely more traumatic) deindustrialisation; the number of manufacturing jobs lost in the first couple of years of her regime - and this is something that can be tied directly to certain policy shifts insisted on for various reasons - is really quite staggering. Though in some (no, wait, all) respects the really awful thing was that no effort was made to lessen the blow; the same was true (of course) with regards to the deliberate destruction of the coal industry a little later. Especially ghastly is the fact that some of the places hit hardest had already experienced deindustrialisation in the 1960s (specifically the older coalfields, where light manufacturing had sort-of-mostly-kind-of replaced the pits; and also inner city manufacturing districts in cities like Birmingham). The longterm consequences have been catastrophic.

Obviously a lot of people did very well out of the boom in financial services (and all things that linked into that) that followed deregulation (let's ignore the issue of whether that was really such a clever idea for the time being), but these people tended not to live in the places that had seen their local economies crash and burn at the start of the decade.

Thus bitterness.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2012, 01:23:59 PM »

In the case of Scotland there are... er... how shall we say... additional issues.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2012, 11:51:13 AM »

Makes me proud to be of mainly Scottish descent. Smiley
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2012, 12:45:32 PM »

Total shocker.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2012, 01:09:03 PM »

Are we supposed to understand what's going on in that video?  Some indecipherable singing at a soccer game?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies