Italy 2013: The official thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 10:57:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Italy 2013: The official thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 81
Author Topic: Italy 2013: The official thread  (Read 232989 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: December 11, 2012, 10:02:07 AM »

It's likely that centrist parties (I take it UdC is included) won't join either coalition? I can understand M5S (I still think they'll have a significant drop in support) but I figured the others would have to align with one of the two to form a government.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #401 on: December 11, 2012, 10:15:55 AM »

...or is the system where the party with a plurality of the vote gets ~54% of the seats going to remain in place?
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #402 on: December 12, 2012, 04:50:13 AM »

...or is the system where the party with a plurality of the vote gets ~54% of the seats going to remain in place?

This.

Berlusconi's only allies will be La Destra (The Right) and, as usual, the Lega Nord (Northern League).
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #403 on: December 12, 2012, 12:34:54 PM »

Berlusconi is apparently at risk of being expelled from the EPP.

Meanwhile, it looks like PD is having a primary for MPs on December 29th and 30th.
Andrea
Italy
« Reply #404 on: December 12, 2012, 01:11:25 PM »

Latest poll

ISPO (fieldwork: 10 December)

PD 33.1%
5 Stelle 18.2%
PdL 16.3%
Lega 5.9%
SEL 5.4%
UDC 5.2%
Di Pietro 3.5%
Montezemolo 2.1%
La Destra 2%
Commies 1.9%
Fini 1.5%
Pannella-Bonino 1%

49% were don't know/won't vote
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #405 on: December 12, 2012, 02:55:54 PM »

Was Berlusconi drunk earlier today? He said he'd back Monti if he ran as the candidate for the center-right.

And apparently LN isn't going to run with PdL with Berlusconi as the leader. Maroni said Silvio stepping aside would guarantee it though.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #406 on: December 12, 2012, 03:12:31 PM »

Was Berlusconi drunk earlier today? He said he'd back Monti if he ran as the candidate for the center-right.

And apparently LN isn't going to run with PdL with Berlusconi as the leader. Maroni said Silvio stepping aside would guarantee it though.

So he's screwed, no pun intended. Without LN no way he surpasses PD unless M5S almost completely collapses (and I'm sure they all wouldn't go PdL even if M5S vanished tomorrow) and gets a chunk of undecideds. Though in his miracle scenario I'm fairly sure that LN would crawl back and at least give him confidence.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #407 on: December 12, 2012, 03:29:23 PM »

WHAT?!? Huh Shocked Huh Wait a minute... Eureka! Now I understand! Cheesy

He's trying to look insane so that he's declared legally irresponsible, so that he can avoid prosecution for his trials! Everything makes sense then. Grin

Seriously though, this is utterly pathetic.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #408 on: December 12, 2012, 03:33:56 PM »

The Movimento 5 Stelle is also in turmoil however. Grillo decided thinks of himself as the Dear Leader of the party and expelled 2 prominent members who had voiced criticism over his new leadership. Unsurprisingly, it turns out Italy's "new", "dynamic" and "vibrant" political movement is actually a little dictatorship ran by a madman who thinks he's the messiah.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #409 on: December 12, 2012, 03:34:41 PM »

Unsurprisingly, it turns out Italy's "new", "dynamic" and "vibrant" political movement is actually a little dictatorship ran by a madman who thinks he's the messiah.

Ah, right. So he's going to win the election, then.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #410 on: December 12, 2012, 03:39:45 PM »

Unsurprisingly, it turns out Italy's "new", "dynamic" and "vibrant" political movement is actually a little dictatorship ran by a madman who thinks he's the messiah.

Worse outcomes are possible.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #411 on: December 12, 2012, 03:42:53 PM »

Yeah, what's the deal with Grillo? He decided that two of the candidates weren't "true" party members or something?
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #412 on: December 13, 2012, 02:24:35 AM »

Grillo got mad because they went on TV and released interviews.
But the M5S is just a big bluff,with Grillo as the supreme leader and the other ones being common citizens whose only job is to adore him and never ever disobey.

Anyway,just to be clear,the M5S will not make ANY alliance with ANY party.
Iannis
Rookie
Italy

« Reply #413 on: December 13, 2012, 05:10:40 AM »

Yes, but for the Senate the same system is at regional level, so a coalition (or party) can win a region and have the majority of seats and lose in another region and have the minority, so the outcome in seats of the senate can be different from the Chamber of Deputies. That's because for the Constitution the Senate must represent regional equilibriums and the seat distribution can't depend from national outcome. With this system a coalition can have a majority in the Chamber of Deputies but not necessarily in the Senate.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #414 on: December 13, 2012, 05:18:20 AM »

The Italian Senate is a complete joke and should be abolished. That won't happen, obviously, because it would drive the Lega insane.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #415 on: December 13, 2012, 05:56:50 AM »

The Italian Senate is a complete joke and should be abolished. That won't happen, obviously, because it would drive the Lega insane.

Too be fair to the Senate though, the entire voting system (and the political system over-all) is a joke in Italy.
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #416 on: December 13, 2012, 06:01:46 AM »

There were talks of making the Senate a "Federal Senate",and thus have it work exclusively on regional issues,but then nothing happened.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #417 on: December 13, 2012, 08:10:37 AM »

That's because for the Constitution the Senate must represent regional equilibriums and the seat distribution can't depend from national outcome. With this system a coalition can have a majority in the Chamber of Deputies but not necessarily in the Senate.

But Senate seats are still distributed proportionally based on regional population, correct?
Iannis
Rookie
Italy

« Reply #418 on: December 13, 2012, 08:24:43 AM »

That's because for the Constitution the Senate must represent regional equilibriums and the seat distribution can't depend from national outcome. With this system a coalition can have a majority in the Chamber of Deputies but not necessarily in the Senate.

But Senate seats are still distributed proportionally based on regional population, correct?

Yes
Iannis
Rookie
Italy

« Reply #419 on: December 13, 2012, 08:26:03 AM »

Too be fair to the Senate though, the entire voting system (and the political system over-all) is a joke in Italy.

For sure i wpuld be in favour of a proportional system like in Sweden, but compared to uninominal UK system, or also french one, italian one is a paradise of democracy
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #420 on: December 13, 2012, 02:16:53 PM »

Worse outcomes are possible.

This is very true...
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #421 on: December 13, 2012, 07:11:52 PM »

So apparently, EPP leaders had a rally today and they offered their public endorsement to Monti to lead a centre-right coalition. I still have high doubts that this could be feasible in Italy's political climate, but in any case this is a major failure for Berlusconi. He doesn't even seem to be so widely supported among his party.

Also, election day will be on Feb. 17, and regional elections in Lombardia and Lazio will also be held that day.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #422 on: December 13, 2012, 09:20:47 PM »

So apparently, EPP leaders had a rally today and they offered their public endorsement to Monti to lead a centre-right coalition. I still have high doubts that this could be feasible in Italy's political climate, but in any case this is a major failure for Berlusconi. He doesn't even seem to be so widely supported among his party.

Also, election day will be on Feb. 17, and regional elections in Lombardia and Lazio will also be held that day.

Thank God for February 17th for personal reasons. Smiley Those regional elections should be really tough though.

I didn't know this EPP thing was actually a rally; I thought a bunch of them just released statements bashing Silvio. This is even more embarrassing.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #423 on: December 13, 2012, 10:09:21 PM »

Thank God for February 17th for personal reasons. Smiley Those regional elections should be really tough though.

I didn't know this EPP thing was actually a rally; I thought a bunch of them just released statements bashing Silvio. This is even more embarrassing.

From what I understand, they actually invited Monti and spent all the even praising him while shunning Berlusconi, who was also present. Epic fail doesn't even begin to describe it...

As for me, I'll be in SF by February, so this means my parents will have to cast the ballot for me. I'm really pissed off. Sad Tell me guys, why couldn't you hold it in January instead? Angry
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #424 on: December 13, 2012, 11:57:03 PM »

Is it definitely February 17th? One of my friends (a PD activist) said it "may be" that date so that led me to believe it's still between then and February 24th. I also didn't see anything on the newspaper websites stating a definitive date.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 81  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies