SENATE BILL: Home and Private Schooling Tax Credit Act (Vetoed, Sustained)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:02:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Home and Private Schooling Tax Credit Act (Vetoed, Sustained)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Home and Private Schooling Tax Credit Act (Vetoed, Sustained)  (Read 6524 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 04, 2012, 06:42:17 PM »
« edited: June 29, 2012, 07:34:40 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Clarence
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 06:45:48 PM »

Why $5000?
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 09:02:58 PM »

Hell no.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 09:22:51 PM »

No, I do not support defunding public schools to pay for school vouchers. 
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 11:24:10 PM »

No, I do not support defunding public schools to pay for school vouchers. 

Not a chance I'm signing this.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 12:23:39 AM »

Can you provide any evidence that it costs a homeschooler 5000 per child to homeschool their child? Not sure how you came up with that number. I think in Indiana, the school only gets around 2000 per student - at least that's how it was 6 years ago.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 09:55:14 AM »

Don't have much time but here are the bullet points- when I discussed this with wormyguy and then put it forward I thought it could begin a discussion... we all agree public schools are overcrowded- and I believe in vouchers and encouraging independence and innovation in education thru promoting private schools...as is homeschooling requires a heavy financial burden on parents. 5000 is a starting number- I'd be glad to hear stats to see if it should change...
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 10:14:37 AM »

This bill makes no sense. Education is a domain of the regions.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 10:24:03 AM »

Education was in the President's budget- no?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 10:30:24 AM »

That would be assistance to the regions, Senator.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 10:32:00 AM »

And this is, essentially, assistance to the regions.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 10:34:39 AM »

No, this is an attempt at nationalization.

And this is, essentially, assistance to the regions.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 10:37:01 AM »

I suggest you familiarize yourself with the definition of "nationalization," Governor.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 10:45:28 AM »

I suggest you familiarize yourself with the definition of "nationalization," Governor.

Nationalization is "bringing under the ownership or control of a nation". You're removing the right of regions to decide how to educate their students and bringin g it under the control of the nation. I support allowing regions to have more determination in education policy.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2012, 10:53:12 AM »

There's nothing preventing the regions from doing anything under this bill.  All this bill does is expand the options available to parents to educate their children, while purely saving the regions and the taxpayer at large money (as they currently spend between $6,356 and $18,126 per public school pupil).  The beauty of this legislation is that it improves the quality of the services available by increasing choice, while simultaneously reducing the cost of those services, and without forcing anyone or any region to do anything.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2012, 10:57:57 AM »

Nationalization is "bringing under the ownership or control of a nation". You're removing the right of regions to decide how to educate their students and bringin g it under the control of the nation. I support allowing regions to have more determination in education policy.

This is not true. The bill merely subsidizes a particular form of education, so to speak. In no way does it take away any right from the regions to determine how students should be educated.

And you didn't have any problems with the concept of "nationalization" when you introduced a bill that made it impossible for the regions to ban medical marijuana, so be sincere and don't try to present yourself as a friend of regional rights.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2012, 11:02:13 AM »

Nationalization is "bringing under the ownership or control of a nation". You're removing the right of regions to decide how to educate their students and bringin g it under the control of the nation. Weight support allowing regions to have more determination in education policy.

This is not true. The bill merely subsidizes a particular form of education, so to speak. In no way does it take away any right from the regions to determine how students should be educated.

And you didn't have any problems with the concept of "nationalization" when you introduced a bill that made it impossible for the regions to ban medical marijuana, so be sincere and don't try to present yourself as a friend of regional rights.

Healthcare is the responsibility of the national government so related policy is fine at a national level. All Atlasians deserve access to the best healthcare. Education is different. Education is the domain of the regions and a one size fits all policy would be inappropriate. If you can't see the difference, that is your logical failing, not mine.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2012, 11:05:15 AM »
« Edited: June 05, 2012, 11:13:30 AM by red's wet dream »

All Atlasians deserve access to the best healthcare. Education is different.

All Atlasians deserve the best healthcare but all Atlasians don't deserve the best education?
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2012, 11:11:39 AM »

Nationalization is "bringing under the ownership or control of a nation". You're removing the right of regions to decide how to educate their students and bringin g it under the control of the nation. Weight support allowing regions to have more determination in education policy.

Healthcare is the responsibility of the national government so related policy is fine at a national level. All Atlasians deserve access to the best healthcare. Education is different. Education is the domain of the regions and a one size fits all policy would be inappropriate. If you can't see the difference, that is your logical failing, not mine.

There was no need to include medical marijuana in the national health care bill. Not only is it disputed how effective the use of marijuana for medical purposes is, but the addition of more and more forms of medical treatment to the federal health care insurance also makes health care coverage even more expensive. The reason why medical marijuana was added to the list of covered forms of medical treatment was purely political, and you did not care about the individual regions and their stance on medical marijuana when you introduced that unnecessary bill. Thus, your criticism of the concept of nationalization regarding this educational bill is completely implausible. You only care about regional rights when it is politically convenient, but not because you really believe in the importance of regional rights.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2012, 11:13:54 AM »

To address the $5000 issue, I propose the following as an amendment:

tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2012, 11:15:29 AM »
« Edited: June 05, 2012, 11:17:25 AM by red's wet dream »

Might I suggest you make it 3/4 of the amount of per-pupil spending, so it remains a money-saving measure?

(I also like a fixed amount; as it prevents having to create a bureaucracy measuring per-pupil spending in every district, auditing every single person who claims the deduction, etc.).
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2012, 11:16:43 AM »

Sure, that would be better.

To address the $5000 issue, I propose the following as an amendment:

Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2012, 11:18:56 AM »

All Atlasians deserve access to the best healthcare. Education is different.

All Atlasians deserve the best healthcare but all Atlasians don't deserve the best education?

The best education isn't provided by this bill but it would be more subjective than the best healthcare. Healthcare is more of a science; education is more of an art.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2012, 11:32:53 AM »

There was no need to include medical marijuana in the national health care bill. Not only is it disputed how effective the use of marijuana for medical purposes is, but the addition of more and more forms of medical treatment to the federal health care insurance also makes health care coverage even more expensive. The reason why medical marijuana was added to the list of covered forms of medical treatment was purely political, and you did not care about the individual regions and their stance on medical marijuana when you introduced that unnecessary bill. Thus, your criticism of the concept of nationalization regarding this educational bill is completely implausible. You only care about regional rights when it is politically convenient, but not because you really believe in the importance of regional rights.

Once again, healthcare policy is national and education policy is regional.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2012, 01:47:32 PM »

There's nothing preventing the regions from doing anything under this bill.  All this bill does is expand the options available to parents to educate their children, while purely saving the regions and the taxpayer at large money (as they currently spend between $6,356 and $18,126 per public school pupil).  The beauty of this legislation is that it improves the quality of the services available by increasing choice, while simultaneously reducing the cost of those services, and without forcing anyone or any region to do anything.
Accualy is fauxnews.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies