The Old Glory Act of 2005
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:28:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Old Glory Act of 2005
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: The Old Glory Act of 2005  (Read 3803 times)
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 18, 2005, 03:38:34 PM »

(submitted to me for proposal by President PBrunsel)

1 Section 1: Any and all packaged exports sent from the Atlasia

2 are hereby required to contain a printing of the flag of Atlasia.

3 Section 2: All Atlasian Flag facsimiles shall be required to be a minimum of One (1) inch

4 in height, two (2) inches in width, and per three (3) square feet of on the outside of

5 the packaging.

6 Section 3: The bill applies to any and all exports from Atlasia, including

7 non-profit exports as well as profitable exports.

8 Section 4: If a non-profit organization fails to comply to the terms set in this

9 legislation; upon first offense they will receive a written warning signed by the State

10 and Treasury Departments of Atlasia. This written message will include a

11 warning with a 30 day grace period. Upon second offense the non-profit organization

12 shall lose its tax exemplary status.

13 Section 5: Any profitable organization that fails to comply with the terms set by this

14 legislation upon first offense they will receive a written warning signed by the State

15 and Treasury Departments of Atlasia. This written message will include a

16 warning with a 30 day grace period. Upon the second offense, the profitable organization

17 shall be fined one-thousand ($1,000) dollars.

18 Section 6: This bill shall be funded and enforced by the Treasury Department..

19 Section 7: This bill will be put into affect one month after passage.

12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 03:41:47 PM »

What would be the purpose of this Act?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 03:42:49 PM »

I mean, I don't want to go on record as being against the flag, but I see little purpose to this act.  It won't make others think any more highly of us.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 03:43:02 PM »

I haven't the foggiest idea, we'd need PB to tell us that.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005, 04:22:34 PM »

This doesn't serve any real perpose, and, in the end, will only end up cost companies more money.  Money that they could be spending on health-care, day-care and expansion of their business.  Sorry, I have to oppose this.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 05:57:08 PM »

Here's the bill with those line numbers removed.  I'm sure that I'm not the only one who found it very hard to read with those included.

Section 1: Any and all packaged exports sent from the Atlasia are hereby required to contain a printing of the flag of Atlasia.

Section 2: All Atlasian Flag facsimiles shall be required to be a minimum of One (1) inch in height, two (2) inches in width, and per three (3) square feet of on the outside of the packaging.

Section 3: The bill applies to any and all exports from Atlasia, including non-profit exports as well as profitable exports.

Section 4: If a non-profit organization fails to comply to the terms set in this legislation; upon first offense they will receive a written warning signed by the State and Treasury Departments of Atlasia. This written message will include a warning with a 30 day grace period. Upon second offense the non-profit organization shall lose its tax exemplary status.

Section 5: Any profitable organization that fails to comply with the terms set by this legislation upon first offense they will receive a written warning signed by the State and Treasury Departments of Atlasia. This written message will include a warning with a 30 day grace period. Upon the second offense, the profitable organization shall be fined one-thousand ($1,000) dollars.

Section 6: This bill shall be funded and enforced by the Treasury Department.

Section 7: This bill will be put into effect one month after passage.

For the record, I don't really support this bill.  I don't really care whether or not our exports have the Atlasian flag on them or not, and I would suspect that most would agree.  That should be up to the companies.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2005, 06:18:11 PM »

This bill is my idea of having nations favor us more.

We are called "stingy" by the United Nations. We have been told that every nation (save Australia) hates us. This act is to get the people who we are sending food and supplies to to see that Atlasia really does care abou them.

It's a measure to increase our international popularity.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2005, 06:37:35 PM »

I am sorry to say this Mr. President but this is one of the worst bills I have seen in my time as an Atlasian. This would do nothing but put more costs on business. It would not help alleviate the problems that you describe and you probably make it easier for people to boycott Atlasian products. This bill is a clear example of the Federal government overstepping its power and imposing its will upon corporations. The closest thing that I can compare this to is the Stamp Act of 1764. I think that this bill serves no purpose and should be rejected by every Senator.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2005, 06:39:10 PM »

I support stamping our flag all over relief stuff, but not everything...
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2005, 07:01:06 PM »

I am sorry to say this Mr. President but this is one of the worst bills I have seen in my time as an Atlasian. This would do nothing but put more costs on business. It would not help alleviate the problems that you describe and you probably make it easier for people to boycott Atlasian products. This bill is a clear example of the Federal government overstepping its power and imposing its will upon corporations. The closest thing that I can compare this to is the Stamp Act of 1764. I think that this bill serves no purpose and should be rejected by every Senator.

I am not taxing people like the Stamp Act.

I see no problem with this. How expecnive could it be to stamp the flag on a box?
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2005, 07:18:13 PM »

I see no problem with this. How expecnive could it be to stamp the flag on a box?

Well not for a single box but those cost adds up if your a big company like Coca-Cola that exports alot of material overseas. It would also add more burden to the smaller corporations leading them to stop exportation.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2005, 07:20:33 PM »

I support stamping our flag all over relief stuff, but not everything...

We already do this.  Other nations will just do what North Korea does, repacage the stuff.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2005, 07:23:26 PM »

Many people won't want to buy a product with our flag on it these days.  We aren't very popular right now, righlt or wrongly, and putting a big flag on every Pepsi will just make us seem arrogant.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2005, 07:24:55 PM »

This would essentially be similar to the country of origin laws already in force.  The difference is that they would apply to exports instead of imports.  While I am neutral on the bill as a whole, in order to minimize costs, it should allow for a monochrome representation of the flag.  Multi-color printing is an added expense, especially if the container does not already use it.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2005, 07:33:06 PM »

Well not for a single box but those cost adds up if your a big company like Coca-Cola that exports alot of material overseas. It would also add more burden to the smaller corporations leading them to stop exportation.

So a 25 cents stamp on all those boxes will bankrupt a multi-billion dollar company?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2005, 07:38:20 PM »

So a 25 cents stamp on all those boxes will bankrupt a multi-billion dollar company?

Do you know how many boxes they put out?  What about all the things I mentioned?  Healthcare, Childcare, Growth?  How are they going to pay for those things?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2005, 07:38:52 PM »

I'm sorry, Mr. President, but your proposal just doesn't work.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2005, 07:41:38 PM »

This doesn't serve any real perpose, and, in the end, will only end up cost companies more money.  Money that they could be spending on health-care, day-care and expansion of their business.  Sorry, I have to oppose this.

This is primarily for business and charites.

And accoridng to my calculations yearly a multi-billion dollar company like Pepsi and Coca Cola will acumualte on stamping an Atlasian flag on each box only a TENTH of their total yearly earnings.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2005, 07:57:48 PM »

And accoridng to my calculations yearly a multi-billion dollar company like Pepsi and Coca Cola will acumualte on stamping an Atlasian flag on each box only a TENTH of their total yearly earnings.

Number one a tenth of their earnings is still a huge amount. Also you forget to factor in the amount they would lose from people not buying something with an Atlasian flag on it.

Coke owns some products like Fanta that are very popular in Europe since they are very "European" soft drinks but they are bottled in the Atlasia. Stamping a big Atlasian flag on them would probably not help their popularity overseas.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2005, 07:58:13 PM »

Sorry, Mr. President, but:

Do you have any clue how hard it is to turn a profit in the business world?  It probably seems really easy, but after you take into account investment and shareholders, a 3% profit is generally considered really good.  Companies aren't going to risk taking a hit.  They will just cut benefits.  

In the meantime, the idea of putting our flag on every product will be basically like waving our penis to the rest of the world.  This is one of the most ill considered plans I have ever heard of.  It will not work, countries that like us will just be offended and countries that don't will either stop purchasing our goods or they will repackage them.  Forget it!
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2005, 08:02:17 PM »

Sorry, Mr. President, but:

Do you have any clue how hard it is to turn a profit in the business world?  It probably seems really easy, but after you take into account investment and shareholders, a 3% profit is generally considered really good.  Companies aren't going to risk taking a hit.  They will just cut benefits.  

In the meantime, the idea of putting our flag on every product will be basically like waving our penis to the rest of the world.  This is one of the most ill considered plans I have ever heard of.  It will not work, countries that like us will just be offended and countries that don't will either stop purchasing our goods or they will repackage them.  Forget it!

THANK YOU SENATOR!
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2005, 08:03:46 PM »

Uh, a tenth is 10%, which is a lot.  I assume you meant something like a tenth of a percent.

I'm not sure if this would accomplish what you hope it would.  It seems to me that stamping the Atlasian flag on every single thing we export would be akin to us waving a flag and going, "LOOK!  WE'RE GENEROUS!  APPRECIATE US!", which I don't think would amuse many people.  It's not really true charity if you're doing it to get noticed.

I agree that it is a problem that people think that Atlasia is stingy, but I don't think that this will fix that.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2005, 08:15:14 PM »

This may be one of the worst acts in the history of Atlasia (and from what I've read there's been some doozies).
ThePrezMex
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: 5.25, S: -1.69

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2005, 09:11:30 PM »

Yes, I think it is an outrageously bad piece of legislation. It is actually quite a totalitarian thing to do, specifying even the size of the flag!
This is clearly not a function of the government. President Brunsel, you can use your bully pulpit and make a call to the businesses of Atlasia to voluntarily print the flag in their products, but never through legislation! I am quite surprised that a Republican President could have thought that this was something that the government should do.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2005, 10:10:30 PM »

My opinion is is that this is just a useless piece of regulation that will end up costing companies money. The idea that this would increase our popularity overseas is pure speculation, at best. Do you have any studies that show anything remotely like this is effective? If you don't, I see absolutely no point in gambling with the money of Atlasian companies - yes, that is what it is, gambling, and the payoff may not even be worth it to those companies whose money you are spending.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies