Liberals, which one of these counties/cities would you least like to live in?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:07:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Liberals, which one of these counties/cities would you least like to live in?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Liberals, which one of these counties/cities would you least like to live in? (links are below)
Cobb County, GA

College Station, TX

Tulsa, OK

Topeka, KS

Boise, ID

I'm not a liberal

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Liberals, which one of these counties/cities would you least like to live in?  (Read 4437 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 16, 2005, 02:54:39 PM »

Cobb County

CollegeStation

Tulsa

Topeka

Boise

-------

I'd say College Station.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2005, 03:20:41 PM »

I meant to vote for Cobb County, but I voted for Tulsa in the poll.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2005, 04:56:30 PM »

I think that sites like these are just sad.  It is telling people where to live based on politics.  Then people wonder why America is so divided.

Also, the site is wrong.  It says the Erie is "Very Unfriendly".  But Erie County rarely ever goes Republican in Presidential races.

It says that Erie is not "gay friendly".  Bullsh**t, Erie has more than 3 gay clubs (don't know the exact number, I just know of three in particular).  That's a lot for a metro area of 230,000 people.  Also, go down to Starbucks on any given Saturday night and the place is full of gays (I don't mean that offensivly, just stating a fact).  These people aren't persecuted.  The attitude is simply "live-and-let-live".

Our former mayor (for eight years) was a known lesbian.  She was voted out because people wanted someone who was a fresh face, not because she was a lesbian, and they wanted a fresh face because she had been voted into, several city and county posts in the past two decades.

We had an abortion clinic for a while, but the "doctor" left, because we had protestors out there every single day.  Does the left define "Liberal Friendly" by access to abortion?  If they do, then that is pretty sad.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2005, 05:12:51 PM »

I agree with Supersoulty, but from the opposite viewpoint.  I live in a region of Phila which is both 90%+ Democrat and 80% African American (10% Hispanic).  It should anathema to Republicans, but I love it.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2005, 05:25:04 PM »
« Edited: January 16, 2005, 05:27:00 PM by Senator Supersoulty »

I agree with Supersoulty, but from the opposite viewpoint.  I live in a region of Phila which is both 90%+ Democrat and 80% African American (10% Hispanic).  It should anathema to Republicans, but I love it.

Whether you are gay or not really isn't an issue here for most people, which is the way it should be.  I guess that any city that doesn't have a "Gay Pride" parade every month is considered "anti-gay".

And, J.J.  I like Erie.

I would live here after college... if it were for the unemployment and decline.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2005, 05:25:20 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

that HAS to be complete crap. There is no way the third highest is in the heart of the Bible Belt. I'm confident Minneapolis is WAY higher than Tulsa.

I have to vote for Cobb county, but I'd say the place that based on politicis I'd least like to live in in the country is Colorado Springs.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2005, 05:28:19 PM »

Amusing: Migrendel is apparently under the delusion that Scranton is a Republican city
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2005, 05:32:15 PM »

btw, this site is VERY oudated so a lot of the info on it probably is as well. It has a whole page supporting "President Clinton"

I also have to strongly disagree with their classification of Des Moines as liberal unfriendly. There are some rather conservative parts of it but the bulk of the city is really "Minneapolis-lite"
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2005, 05:40:05 PM »

btw, this site is VERY oudated so a lot of the info on it probably is as well. It has a whole page supporting "President Clinton"

I also have to strongly disagree with their classification of Des Moines as liberal unfriendly. There are some rather conservative parts of it but the bulk of the city is really "Minneapolis-lite"

If it were outdated, then the people on this site should have praised Erie for having an openly lesbian mayor, which they did all through the Clinton presidency.  No?
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2005, 05:54:56 PM »

As an actual resident of College Station, I can tell you it sucks. It's as if you've dropped 60,000 of the shallowest and most plastic SoCal posers into south-central TX. It even looks like a slice of LA

Now, Bryan TX I actually like, in spite of the poverty and Tejano racism. It has more of an authentic small-town TX feel to it. Much less phony than CS
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2005, 05:58:20 PM »

these are simply submissions from surfers with not much checking. This is clearly the case with Des Moines, no conservative visiting Des Moines would find it to be a nice friendly conservative city. If you read further down many people rebuke the original entry. Of course it didn't really say Erie was conservative, simply "liberal unfriendly" based on its segregation and wedlock rates, etc. It's not listed on the site, but if I were to list it I would definately not list Milwaukee under liberal friendly even though it's extremely Democratic and economically liberal. The race relations and segregation is terrible (I think it was once listed as the most segregated city in the country), and it's also rather socially conservative.

Cincinatti usually votes over 60% Democratic too, but it's listed under liberal unfriendly on the site, and I doubt anyone except possibly bandit would dispute that. Cincinatti is definately not liberal!
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2005, 06:09:53 PM »

this list must be old  Ferndale michigan should be on this list.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2005, 06:30:47 PM »

these are simply submissions from surfers with not much checking. This is clearly the case with Des Moines, no conservative visiting Des Moines would find it to be a nice friendly conservative city. If you read further down many people rebuke the original entry. Of course it didn't really say Erie was conservative, simply "liberal unfriendly" based on its segregation and wedlock rates, etc. It's not listed on the site, but if I were to list it I would definately not list Milwaukee under liberal friendly even though it's extremely Democratic and economically liberal. The race relations and segregation is terrible (I think it was once listed as the most segregated city in the country), and it's also rather socially conservative.

Cincinatti usually votes over 60% Democratic too, but it's listed under liberal unfriendly on the site, and I doubt anyone except possibly bandit would dispute that. Cincinatti is definately not liberal!

So, Liberals define "unfriendly" as a place where people are acctually married, as opposed to running around, randomly hooking-up like rabbits?  Is that how liberals difine themselves these days?  That is pretty sad if you ask me.

And Erie is not segregated.  There are Black neighborhoods, Polish, Italian, Greek, Hispanic, German, Irish, Jewish, Muslim, etc.  That is the way it is in most cities.

And how can they judge these places if they have never even been there?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2005, 06:34:19 PM »

supposedly the people submitting them HAVE been there. and what does unmarried mothers getting pregnant have to do with what you said?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2005, 06:36:22 PM »

supposedly the people submitting them HAVE been there. and what does unmarried mothers getting pregnant have to do with what you said?

Huh??

I always asumed that the single mother or the single "sex-machine" was a model for all Liberals to follow.  So when you said "wedlock rates" I had assumed that that was what you meant... too much marriage.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2005, 06:45:39 PM »

I mean, after all, BRTD, you are the one who is constantly talking about how the suburbs suck because everyone is married, and they won't cheat.
Vincent
azpol76
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2005, 07:06:30 PM »

Yeah, this site is dated. It's really funny that Phoenix is listed as "liberal-unfriendly"
One person complained that we never elected a female govorner.
Of course shortly(within a few years anyway) after the comment was made we elected women to all of the states top 5 offices. It's just amusing what people say sometimes.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2005, 07:09:46 PM »

I mean, after all, BRTD, you are the one who is constantly talking about how the suburbs suck because everyone is married, and they won't cheat.

no, what I meant by that is its difficult for people my age to pick up girls
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2005, 08:04:18 PM »

I'm having a hard time choosing between College Station, TX and Tulsa, OK
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2005, 08:48:49 PM »

We are taking politics too far here.

It's also sad that you can predict a person's whole lifestyle based on their party identification and location. It shows you how undiverse we are when you say "College Station Texas" and I can immediatly think, Religous Right, Pro-Gun, Obsessed over College/High School Football, Homophobic, White, eats steak and barbacued ribs.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2005, 08:51:07 PM »

People so frequently forget that when a place votes 67-33 for one party, one third of people are still of the opposite party.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2005, 10:12:30 PM »

People so frequently forget that when a place votes 67-33 for one party, one third of people are still of the opposite party.

Well those people don't get their voices heard, they are shunned. Although I would like to see a story on the people who voted against Delay.
danwxman

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2005, 10:22:28 PM »

Wow, I can't decide which is worse...Tulsa or Topeka. I voted Topeka.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2005, 11:05:06 PM »
« Edited: January 16, 2005, 11:11:35 PM by Antifa BRTD »

that is a valid point, and let's not forget that I grew up in a county that voted over 69% for Bush. And it's not small.

However, the main reason I refuse to live in any county that voted for Bush and much prefer liberal areas is that the overall culture and aesthetic of liberal cities are much friendlier to me.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2005, 11:08:31 PM »

I have to vote for Cobb county, but I'd say the place that based on politicis I'd least like to live in in the country is Colorado Springs.

Based on politics alone, I would agree with that, though parts of Colo. Springs are reasonably progressive.

Based on other factors, Colorado Springs certainly has more scenery than any of the places on my list.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies