How does the GOP expect to win in 2012?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 03:39:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  How does the GOP expect to win in 2012?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: How does the GOP expect to win in 2012?  (Read 3538 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 10, 2012, 02:57:35 PM »

They've attacked, in either rhetoric and/or record:

The poor
The working poor
The working-but-in-danger-of-becoming poor
Latinos
Asians
LGBT Americans
Blacks
Union members
The educated, professional liberal upper-middle class
Immigrants in general
Non-Christians
People in urban areas
Academics
Teachers
Public employees in general
Single mothers
Unmarried women
Moderate Republicans
Conservative Republicans who aren't crazy
Independents who would vote for them but are turned off by the Religious Right
People who expect competence out of government
The middle class
The non-rich in general
The unemployed
Obama supporters
Government employees
And basically anyone who disagrees with them even slightly.

I mean really, what are they trying to accomplish, from any sort of practical standpoint?

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 03:10:21 PM »

The poor
The working poor
Latinos
Asians
LGBT Americans
Blacks
Union members
Immigrants in general
Non-Christians
People in urban areas
Academics
Teachers
Single mothers
Unmarried women
Moderate Republicans
The middle class
The non-rich in general
The unemployed
Obama supporters
Government employees

I mean really, what are they trying to accomplish, from any sort of practical standpoint?

You have to remember, PR, that not only does everyone of those groups hate several of the others, most of those groups ar also self-hating.  Just about everybody in the US worships the rich and hates himself and his fellow victims, so the Republican strategy is not as impractical as it may seem at face value.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 04:57:23 PM »

The poor
The working poor
Latinos
Asians
LGBT Americans
Blacks
Union members
Immigrants in general
Non-Christians
People in urban areas
Academics
Teachers
Single mothers
Unmarried women
Moderate Republicans
The middle class
The non-rich in general
The unemployed
Obama supporters
Government employees

They are attempting to win an election which (due to Citizens United) is much more about the money raised than the votes cast.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 06:49:02 PM »

Orwellian propaganda. The Big Lie. Threats.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 06:58:12 PM »

The poor
The working poor
Latinos
Asians
LGBT Americans
Blacks
Union members
Immigrants in general
Non-Christians
People in urban areas
Academics
Teachers
Single mothers
Unmarried women
Moderate Republicans
The middle class
The non-rich in general
The unemployed
Obama supporters
Government employees

You have to remember, PR, that not only does everyone of those groups hate several of the others, most of those groups ar also self-hating.  Just about everybody in the US worships the rich and hates himself and his fellow victims, so the Republican strategy is not as impractical as it may seem at face value.
The correct answer.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 07:30:20 PM »

Simply put -by rousing their southern white base to return the White House back to white men, preventing any significant attempts by the Obama administration in further spurring the economy (and -by a breathtaking act of chutzpah- blaming him for the resulting slow job growth), and further depressing minority youth turnout by voting restrictions and other shenanigans reminiscent of Jim Crow (and marginalizing anyone who draws the comparisons). 

There is scarcely anything redeeming that I can say about the tea-bagged Republican Party to lighten my dark, embittered, and cynical view of it. 

Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 07:24:27 AM »

By winning at least 270 electoral votes, the same way that it's always done.
milhouse24
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 12:53:10 PM »

by lowering taxes
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 12:55:30 PM »

By winning at least 270 electoral votes, the same way that it's always done.

Thanks. I never considered that.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 12:57:43 PM »

You got to realize that there's plenty of people in those groups that are GOP.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -2.78

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 02:07:23 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2012, 02:09:15 PM by WhyteRain »

Simply put -by rousing their southern white base to return the White House back to white men, preventing any significant attempts by the Obama administration in further spurring the economy (and -by a breathtaking act of chutzpah- blaming him for the resulting slow job growth), and further depressing minority youth turnout by voting restrictions and other shenanigans reminiscent of Jim Crow (and marginalizing anyone who draws the comparisons).  

There is scarcely anything redeeming that I can say about the tea-bagged Republican Party to lighten my dark, embittered, and cynical view of it.  

LOLOL!  That is funny!  You should get a job as a standup comedian!  I mean, that's wiping my eyes funny!

(Seriously, have you ever noticed how Leftwingers are so often shocked by conservative victories because, as they themselves admit, "no one I know voted that way!")
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 02:48:16 PM »

Asians? Please tell me you're not referring to the Chinese-American woman who complained about Romney's tough talk on China.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 03:18:50 PM »

Asians? Please tell me you're not referring to the Chinese-American woman who complained about Romney's tough talk on China.

I suspect it's the Hoekstra ad.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 03:27:09 PM »

LOLOL!  That is funny!  You should get a job as a standup comedian!  I mean, that's wiping my eyes funny!

(Seriously, have you ever noticed how Leftwingers are so often shocked by conservative victories because, as they themselves admit, "no one I know voted that way!")

Yes, I am familiar with the 'everybody I know voted for McGovern' effect. Have you ever noticed that it cuts both ways, and that the right often bitches about 'voter fraud' when certain folk turn out in greater-than-expected numbers?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 03:40:16 PM »

By default.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2012, 05:20:25 PM »

I suspect it's the Hoekstra ad.

Ah, that makes sense. And I guess the answer to that is "Well, he's not going to win, so it's moot".
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2012, 06:11:01 PM »

I agree with opebo
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2012, 07:27:09 PM »

I seriously doubt that was your actual reaction -as opposed to merely rolling your eyes when you read my text, which is what I more or less expected.  And if you had, then you have one very strange sense of humor.  Though this forum does have a tendency of attracting all sorts of characters out of the woodwork. 

Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2012, 07:51:09 PM »

I'm not saying it was aliens.

BUT IT WAS ALIENS!
WhyteRain
Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -2.78

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2012, 07:10:45 AM »

Yes, I am familiar with the 'everybody I know voted for McGovern' effect. Have you ever noticed that it cuts both ways, and that the right often bitches about 'voter fraud' when certain folk turn out in greater-than-expected numbers?

First, no the "McGovern effect" doesn't "cut both ways".  One of the differences of the life experiences of liberals and conservatives in America is that if you are conservative, there is no way in Hell that you won't be informed -- over and over again -- what is "the liberal viewpoint" on every subject under the sun.  However, and think about college here, it isn't very difficult for a liberal to get through life without being exposed to an indepth critique of liberal shiboleths.

See:  Well, I don't have "the minimum 20 posts in order to include links", but Google for "liberals don't understand conservatives"

Sample text:  But Haidt’s research went one step further, asking self-indentified conservatives to answer those questionnaires as if they were liberals and for liberals to do the opposite. What Haidt found is that conservatives understand liberals’ moral values better than liberals understand where conservatives are coming from. Worse yet, liberals don’t know what they don’t know; they don’t understand how limited their knowledge of conservative values is.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2012, 12:49:55 PM »

The GOP expects that the economy will collapse and propel them to victory.  They are right that if that happens, they will likely win.  Their problem is while the economy is not as robust as anyone would like, it is not currently collapsing.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2012, 01:34:10 PM »

The GOP expects that the economy will collapse and propel them to victory. 

How noble of them to expect that.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2012, 01:34:52 PM »

First, no the "McGovern effect" doesn't "cut both ways".  One of the differences of the life experiences of liberals and conservatives in America is that if you are conservative, there is no way in Hell that you won't be informed -- over and over again -- what is "the liberal viewpoint" on every subject under the sun.

This is blatantly not true. You are making up a subjective opinion with no basis in fact. I mean do you honestly think that Liberals haven't been exposed to conservative arguments? If so then you really have been living under a rock (or FreeRepublic). By saying the McGovern effect doesn't cut both way you are proving your ignorance. I live in the South and someone I know personally in 2007 when Bush was fading said, literally, "But I thought everyone liked Bush?"

Bam. McGovern effect. He lives in a Republican dominated area, therefore the McGovern effect sinks in as almost everyone he knows votes that way.

However, and think about college here, it isn't very difficult for a liberal to get through life without being exposed to an indepth critique of liberal shiboleths.

Not true. there are plenty of conservatives in college.

Well, I don't have "the minimum 20 posts in order to include links", but Google for "liberals don't understand conservatives"

If you google something so loaded like that of course you will get the answer you want. It seems you operate in a right-wing echo-chamber where you literally google in a way that gives you the results you want.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2012, 08:41:30 PM »

I suspect they intend to win by getting the most votes, starting with those individuals who are assaulted by taxes proposed by Democrats like Jerry Brown.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2012, 12:13:02 AM »

I suspect they intend to win by getting the most votes, starting with those individuals who are assaulted by taxes proposed by Democrats like Jerry Brown.

What taxes?  Those are for rich people like Torie, kraken.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies