Obama Backs Gay Marriage!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:57:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Obama Backs Gay Marriage!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: Obama Backs Gay Marriage!  (Read 32990 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2012, 03:45:52 PM »

Looks like Obama alienated about half the hispanic votes in key swing states.  Oh, and I thought Romney was a flip flopper on issues, Obama supporters can be hypocrites at times.

Yeah, because they are going to run to the party that has demonize them the past few years.

Conservatives desperation is hilarious...........
Right....and Obama supports clean renewable energy when he drives a gas guzzling caddy?  Hypocrites!

What has that got to do with anything whatsoever?
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2012, 03:46:41 PM »

Looks like Obama alienated about half the hispanic votes in key swing states.  Oh, and I thought Romney was a flip flopper on issues, Obama supporters can be hypocrites at times.

Yeah, because they are going to run to the party that has demonize them the past few years.

Right....and Obama supports clean renewable energy when he drives a gas guzzling caddy?  Hypocrites!

What has that got to do with anything whatsoever?
Im just saying that majority of Democrats are hypocrites regardless of the topic or issue of the day.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2012, 03:46:46 PM »

It will be great when society moves off this issue, but the liberals are simply going to keep inventing new minorities. Homosexuals, transexuals, don't tell me this ain't a slippery slope.

It's the minorities who are 'inventing' themselves, thank you, and...I mean, no, this isn't a slippery slope, or at least there's no reason why it has to be. Why should it be? We've been in the process of reevaluating the issue of gender roles and their implications, which is a specific issue and not some sort of locus of unrelated affairs, for a couple of centuries now.

Looks like Obama alienated about half the hispanic votes in key swing states.  Oh, and I thought Romney was a flip flopper on issues, Obama supporters can be hypocrites at times.

Hispanics support gay marriage at about the same rate as non-Hispanic whites these days.

"Gender roles", another ridiculous term. People can't change gender roles, people also don't define them. Those gender roles exist because of human nature, and people aren't going to change that, no matter how much they try to manipulate it.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2012, 03:47:00 PM »

And what does that have to do with hispanics?
ajb
United States

« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2012, 03:47:48 PM »

Romney's response:

“I have the same view on marriage that I had when I was Governor,” Romney said. “I believe that marriage is a relationship between a man and a woman. I know other people have differing views. This a very tender and sensitive topic as are many social issues, but I have the same views I’ve had since running for office.”

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entries/romney-marriage-is-relationship-between-man-woman

Not much firebreathing, really. More defensiveness about his own position.
Romney has a reasonable response to Obama's stance on gay marriage. Leave it up to the states to decide what's right.

So we agree that Romney's response is, all things considered, a moderate one. I'm saying that may lead him to fail to capitalize on this issue with conservative voters.
ajb
United States

« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2012, 03:48:54 PM »

It will be great when society moves off this issue, but the liberals are simply going to keep inventing new minorities. Homosexuals, transexuals, don't tell me this ain't a slippery slope.

It's the minorities who are 'inventing' themselves, thank you, and...I mean, no, this isn't a slippery slope, or at least there's no reason why it has to be. Why should it be? We've been in the process of reevaluating the issue of gender roles and their implications, which is a specific issue and not some sort of locus of unrelated affairs, for a couple of centuries now.

Looks like Obama alienated about half the hispanic votes in key swing states.  Oh, and I thought Romney was a flip flopper on issues, Obama supporters can be hypocrites at times.

Hispanics support gay marriage at about the same rate as non-Hispanic whites these days.

Supporting data:

http://univisionnews.tumblr.com/post/22727373632/obama-supports-same-sex-marriage-how-will-latinos-react
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2012, 03:49:30 PM »

You know, it's one of the greatest mysteries of our time that the GOP decided it would be wise to keep their hard line on immigration. In fact, Ann Coulter has written an article recently implying she wants to decrease legal immigration, and is upset this isn't a priority for the GOP. Insanity.
Purch
Rookie

« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2012, 03:50:28 PM »

Obama actually showed some courage? Might actually vote for the guy.. As I'll vote for any politician who stands up for what he belive in (Even if it's really late) .. I mean I'd even vote for Romney if he actually embraced the how effective his health care policy was as governor
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2012, 03:51:57 PM »

Since when did bigotry become something to be lauded?

I think krazen is of the opinion that the division on this issue has de facto ended the election in Romney's favor. If pressed, I would say that krazen believes this because he believes that this is something that the American people, or key segments thereof, will side with Romney and against the President on this, in sufficient numbers and with sufficient zeal to render any other issues that may have helped the President's reelection campaign minor by comparison.

Am I getting that right?

Certainly it will aid Mr Romney in acquiring the votes of people who don't necessarily like him but certainly don't like they type of behavior just endorsed by Barack Obama.

The people will render their verdict.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2012, 03:52:14 PM »

Another reason why he must be removed, anything to steal the spotlight from the Tea Parties victory in Indiana. Good job North Carolina in banning gay marriage. Indiana will be doing so in 2014.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2012, 03:54:06 PM »

"Gender roles", another ridiculous term. People can't change gender roles, people also don't define them. Those gender roles exist because of human nature, and people aren't going to change that, no matter how much they try to manipulate it.

Human nature which changes from society to society and point to point in history and has been at several points openly and explicitly manipulated by social or economic interests? You've studied such extensively, I'm sure.

Certainly it will aid Mr Romney in acquiring the votes of people who don't necessarily like him but certainly don't like they type of behavior just endorsed by Barack Obama.

The people will render their verdict.

I suppose they will, and I suppose regardless of what it is you will be constant in your analysis that gay marriage was the issue on which people were making their decision?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2012, 03:57:31 PM »

Since when did minorities are "made"? They're born.
Of course minorities are made.  Some ethnic groups are considered minorities and some aren't, regardless of their numbers. There's more Hispanics than Swedes in America, but only the former is considered a minority.  
NVGonzalez
antwnzrr
Mexico

« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2012, 03:58:10 PM »

Well thanks to this thread I guess we found out who the bigots were....
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2012, 03:58:29 PM »

Another reason why he must be removed, anything to steal the spotlight from the Tea Parties victory in Indiana. Good job North Carolina in banning gay marriage. Indiana will be doing so in 2014.

The Tea Party is one of the reasons Romney will lose, and also why the GOP is becoming completely irrelevant outside the south. So enjoy that victory while you can.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2012, 04:02:52 PM »

1) I think it's reprehensible that any one side can claim moral superiority on this issue and use it to totally marr debate on the question of marriage.

2) This is Obama's biggest diversion yet.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2012, 04:04:32 PM »

My guess is that he just lost about 27 electoral votes, but strengthened his base. A great issue that the Romney Campaign can use against him in several ways.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2012, 04:04:33 PM »

The Tea Party is one of the reasons Romney will lose, and also why the GOP is becoming completely irrelevant outside the south. So enjoy that victory while you can.

I never thought I would find myself in agreement with one of your posts on anything.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2012, 04:07:55 PM »

1) I think it's reprehensible that any one side can claim moral superiority on this issue and use it to totally marr debate on the question of marriage.

"marr"?

I'm absolutely open to a debate on this issue!  I don't want to necessarily start a debate on a basic, vanilla news thread.  However, absolutely, if you disagree with gay marriage, let's discuss it! Smiley  I can't say that I don't think gay marriage is morally superior, but a vacuous statement of moral superiority does not a meaningful discussion make.

So, if you disagree with gay marriage, let's have a meaningful discussion.  You in?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2012, 04:08:20 PM »

My guess is that he just lost about 27 electoral votes, but strengthened his base. A great issue that the Romney Campaign can use against him in several ways.

If the Romney campaign did so it would open itself up to easy, and as the case would be entirely accurate, attacks about straying off of what the more important message is to most people (at least, most people who aren't gay or bisexual or very close to people who are).
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2012, 04:08:55 PM »

Lmao are Republicans this delusional or desperate?

It isn't 2004 anymore, these social issues just aren't going to that big of a factor.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2012, 04:09:11 PM »

I never thought I would find myself in agreement with one of your posts on anything.

I'm definately with them on the issues, but it's undeniable that their rhetoric and mob mentality is destroying the party's credibility.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2012, 04:09:39 PM »

It's funny, some of what I'm reading here.  Just recently it was about how social issues shouldn't be discussed because people are more concerned about the economy, and now it's about how openly coming out in support of gay marriage will hurt him because people are going to base their votes off this issue all under the assumption they didn't suspect him of supporting gay rights prior to this.
ajb
United States

« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2012, 04:11:30 PM »

Santorum's response:

“The announcement today by President Obama should come as no surprise to the American public.  President Obama has consistently fought against protecting the institution of marriage from radical social engineering at both the state and federal level.  The President recently opposed the North Carolina constitutional amendment and, of course, he refused to defend President Clinton’s Defense of Marriage Act before the U.S. Supreme court.  The charade is now over, no doubt an attempt to galvanize his core hard left supporters in advance of the November election.

Thankfully the American public, when it has had an opportunity to consider the real world consequences of such a fundamental change to our society, has consistently voted for maintaining one man one woman marriage - the basic building block of our society.  I will continue to fight to make sure that the cultural elites don’t further undermine the institution that gives the best opportunity for healthy, happy children and a just and prosperous society.” 

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entries/santorum-responds-to-obama-charade-is-now-over

Compare this to what Romney said. This is what would motivate base turnout. Can anyone seriously imagine Romney as a compelling messenger for this argument?
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2012, 04:15:50 PM »

Santorum's response:

“The announcement today by President Obama should come as no surprise to the American public.  President Obama has consistently fought against protecting the institution of marriage from radical social engineering at both the state and federal level.  The President recently opposed the North Carolina constitutional amendment and, of course, he refused to defend President Clinton’s Defense of Marriage Act before the U.S. Supreme court.  The charade is now over, no doubt an attempt to galvanize his core hard left supporters in advance of the November election.

Thankfully the American public, when it has had an opportunity to consider the real world consequences of such a fundamental change to our society, has consistently voted for maintaining one man one woman marriage - the basic building block of our society.  I will continue to fight to make sure that the cultural elites don’t further undermine the institution that gives the best opportunity for healthy, happy children and a just and prosperous society.” 

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entries/santorum-responds-to-obama-charade-is-now-over

Compare this to what Romney said. This is what would motivate base turnout. Can anyone seriously imagine Romney as a compelling messenger for this argument?

It might motivate base turnout, but how are suburban swing voters going to react to that? How about white collar/economically oriented voters? Those are the votes Romney needs, and the GOP also needs to expand beyond that base and build a new one. Which is why I say we really need to move on from this issue.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2012, 04:17:34 PM »

Hispanics will remain in the Democratic column, simply for the fact that they don't vote for candidates based on social issues like this.

Obama already supported civil unions, this is just an upgrade in position. Really, it's not like he was hardcore social conservative on the issue.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies