Elizabeth Warren's "Pocahontas" Problem?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:22:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Elizabeth Warren's "Pocahontas" Problem?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: Elizabeth Warren's "Pocahontas" Problem?  (Read 24611 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: May 20, 2012, 08:46:34 PM »

Naturally, RecipeGate was all over the first three pages of the Herald on Weds. or Thurs.

Do you feel like shaking your head in disbelief or...?

It's the Herald.

But this is a real election. For real. In realityland. This is actually happening.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #101 on: May 20, 2012, 09:46:14 PM »

Naturally, RecipeGate was all over the first three pages of the Herald on Weds. or Thurs.

Do you feel like shaking your head in disbelief or...?

It's the Herald.

But this is a real election. For real. In realityland. This is actually happening.

The fact that the Boston Herald is actually happening in realityland has given me cause for concern many a time.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #102 on: May 20, 2012, 10:27:35 PM »

I demand to see the original long-form copy of Warren's recipes.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #103 on: May 21, 2012, 01:00:20 PM »

I demand to see the original long-form copy of Warren's recipes.
http://imgur.com/nKxAS
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #104 on: May 31, 2012, 08:38:01 AM »

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2012/05/31/elizabeth_warren_acknowledges_telling_harvard_penn_of_native_american_status/

“At some point after I was hired by them, I . . . provided that information to the University of Pennsylvania and Harvard,’’ she said in a statement issued by her campaign. “My Native American heritage is part of who I am, I’m proud of it and I have been open about it.’’

Warren’s statement is her first acknowledgment that she identified herself as Native American to the Ivy League schools. While she has said she identified herself as a minority in a legal directory, she has carefully avoided any suggestion during the last month that she took further actions to promote her purported heritage.

When the issue first surfaced last month, Warren said she only learned Harvard was claiming her as a minority when she read it in the Boston Herald.

Whoops. She lied.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #105 on: May 31, 2012, 10:44:31 AM »

No she didn't. Read the article again.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #106 on: May 31, 2012, 07:54:17 PM »

She did. First she said she didn't know Harvard had her listed as a minority. Then she said she provided that information herself, which means she already knew.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #107 on: May 31, 2012, 07:55:57 PM »

She did. First she said she didn't know Harvard had her listed as a minority. Then she said she provided that information herself, which means she already knew.

"At some point after I was hired by them..."

After. Not before.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #108 on: May 31, 2012, 08:58:44 PM »

"At some point after I was hired by them..."

After. Not before.

When she told Harvard she was Native American is beside the point. She claimed she never did so, but in actuality she did, even if it wasn't exactly at the time most people assumed. She lied.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #109 on: May 31, 2012, 09:00:01 PM »

When she told Harvard she was Native American is beside the point. She claimed she never did so, but in actuality she did, even if it wasn't exactly at the time most people assumed. She lied.

When did she ever claim she wasn't part Native American?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #110 on: May 31, 2012, 09:12:48 PM »

She never claimed she wasn't part Native American, but she did claim she was unaware that Harvard had registered her as Native American until recently admitting (krazen posted a link) that she had told the university she was Native American.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #111 on: May 31, 2012, 09:16:13 PM »

She never claimed she wasn't part Native American, but she did claim she was unaware that Harvard had registered her as Native American until recently admitting (krazen posted a link) that she had told the university she was Native American.

The only thing the article proves is that she was telling the truth all along.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #112 on: May 31, 2012, 09:34:10 PM »

That article clearly demonstrates that she lied.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #113 on: May 31, 2012, 09:38:27 PM »

Go ahead. Live in denial. The proof she told the truth is right there in plain sight.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #114 on: May 31, 2012, 09:52:19 PM »

Brit Hume claimed tonight that Warren has failed to prove that she is even 1/32 Native American. If it turns out that she is as white as I am, that would be an epic fail. Has anyone asked her just who her Native American ancestor was?  Just asking.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #115 on: May 31, 2012, 09:57:11 PM »

Brit Hume claimed tonight that Warren has failed to prove that she is even 1/32 Native American.

Ooh, Brit Hume said it. Now THAT'S epic fail!
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #116 on: June 01, 2012, 12:55:25 AM »

Brit Hume claimed tonight that Warren has failed to prove that she is even 1/32 Native American. If it turns out that she is as white as I am, that would be an epic fail. Has anyone asked her just who her Native American ancestor was?  Just asking.

I can't sleep and I have nothing productive to do tonight so I looked into this Cherokee ancestry thing.

The ancestor in question, Neoma (or Oma) O.C. Sarah Smith, was almost certainly the child of Wyatt and Peggy Smith, and there's no indication either of them had Cherokee ancestry. I suppose it's possible that when the family moved from North Carolina to Tennessee and they were passing through the Cherokee nation that they took in a young Cherokee girl- her name doesn't actually show up on records until 1820, when she was married to J.H. Crawford and living next door to Wyatt and Peggy in Tennessee- but I don't know how likely something like that is to have happened. It would explain the weird name and initials possibly hiding a Cherokee name, though, in trying to pass as white.

I think it's more likely though that William J Crawford in his 1894 marriage was just putting his mom's race down as Cherokee to try to prove ancestry to get a free Indian land grant from the Dawes Commission (which was established a year before). Literally tens of thousands of whites tried to falsely prove Native American ancestry to the Commission to get a land grant.

Not saying she doesn't actually have Native American ancestry or anything; being a white person from Oklahoma she's probably got 1/32 ancestry from some relative anyway. This probably isn't the source, though.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #117 on: June 01, 2012, 01:04:25 AM »

You know what? When I was about 27, my aunt told me that I'm 1/32 Cherokee. I've never seen any paperwork that proves it, but I believe her.

So if I say I'm 1/32 Cherokee, does that mean I'm "lying" just because I haven't seen the documentation?
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #118 on: June 01, 2012, 02:25:16 AM »

You know what? When I was about 27, my aunt told me that I'm 1/32 Cherokee. I've never seen any paperwork that proves it, but I believe her.

So if I say I'm 1/32 Cherokee, does that mean I'm "lying" just because I haven't seen the documentation?

No but it doesn't mean you have the right to go around calling yourself a Native American.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #119 on: June 01, 2012, 03:22:15 AM »

Oh my god who even gives a flying fuck about this
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #120 on: June 01, 2012, 11:05:18 AM »

No but it doesn't mean you have the right to go around calling yourself a Native American.

According to the Census Bureau, I would. I might not meet the Cherokees' blood quantum, but I'd meet the Census Bureau's definition of Native American, as long as I identified as such.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #121 on: June 01, 2012, 02:35:57 PM »

Go ahead. Live in denial. The proof she told the truth is right there in plain sight.

Have you even looked at the article? She lied about registering as a Native American. She said she didn't, but she did.

According to the Census Bureau, I would. I might not meet the Cherokees' blood quantum, but I'd meet the Census Bureau's definition of Native American, as long as I identified as such.

I have an ethnically Greek friend who identifies as 'Other' because he thinks it will help him get into a college. He's encouraged me (I am Ashkenazi Jewish, but have very dark skin) to also do so.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #122 on: June 01, 2012, 02:38:03 PM »

Have you even looked at the article? She lied about registering as a Native American. She said she didn't, but she did.

I give up. Some people are just thick-skulled.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #123 on: June 01, 2012, 02:46:09 PM »

I give up. Some people are just thick-skulled.

I am going to sig this.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies