Thing you hate about the Libertarians the most
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 02:06:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Thing you hate about the Libertarians the most
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Thing you hate about the Libertarians the most  (Read 26043 times)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 12, 2005, 02:59:23 PM »

Should be fun
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 05:42:41 PM »

Well, for once they are all irrealist, political onnanists, who don't realize the only way of moving toward a libertarian direction, adn election libertarians to office, is the Republican Party. Wink
Another thing I tend to notice in some, is their obsession over the constitution. The constitution do protects the freedoms, altough activist judges keep geopardizing even that, but is by no means a perfect document. Having the feds coining money or regulating interestate commerce is by no means a good thing. We should be more concentrated in making a ethical case for our opinions and less on arguing legalisms.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 09:46:58 PM »

Well, for once they are all irrealist, political onnanists, who don't realize the only way of moving toward a libertarian direction, adn election libertarians to office, is the Republican Party. Wink
Another thing I tend to notice in some, is their obsession over the constitution. The constitution do protects the freedoms, altough activist judges keep geopardizing even that, but is by no means a perfect document. Having the feds coining money or regulating interestate commerce is by no means a good thing. We should be more concentrated in making a ethical case for our opinions and less on arguing legalisms.

That, and the fact they want unrestricted legalization of currently illicit drugs. No way
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 09:48:29 PM »

What's wrong with that?
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 09:53:35 PM »
« Edited: January 12, 2005, 09:55:14 PM by Storebought »

19th century China lost all moral (and economic) standing during the 1830s when their coastal population became addicted to British opium. Not only did it physically weaken the people in the cities (Shanghai and Nanking were especially devastated), China lost a great deal of hard currency to the British opium agents. Hong Kong would not have fallen so easily to the British in 1844 (?) had the Chinese sailors in the Navy stationed there weren't f*ked from the opium.

I don't think the US needs to follow in their footsteps, with Left-Wing Columbian cocaine traffickers substituting for the British
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 09:57:25 PM »

I really doubt Americans are going to suddenly become addicted to all these drugs because they're legal.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2005, 09:58:34 PM »

The Republican party isn't very libertarian with its support for the Patriot Act, Iraq war, and corporate welfare, and opposition to abortion and gay marriage.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2005, 10:06:21 PM »

I really doubt Americans are going to suddenly become addicted to all these drugs because they're legal.

It's amazing what people will get themselves addicted to if given half the chance.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2005, 10:07:01 PM »

It's amazing what people will get themselves addicted to if given half the chance.

They already have more than "half a chance."
Andrew
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2005, 10:50:20 PM »

Aack!  I agree with Philip!  Aack!
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2005, 10:53:41 PM »

Aack!  I agree with Philip!  Aack!

I had that once, I think.  It'll pass, don't worry. Smiley
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2005, 09:47:46 AM »

The whole "The constitution is the gospel" thingie.
stry_cat

Political Matrix
E: 6.25, S: -1.38

P P P
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2005, 12:10:52 PM »

Having been a Republican once, I believe the party cannot be reformed in a Libertarian direction.  While I'm glad the anti-tax and pro-gun folks are having some success in reclaiming the party, by in large the Republicans continue to believe in larger more oppressive government.  If there were a chance for reform then Bush would have had a serious challenger to his renomination.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
I agree the Constitution isn't perfect, but before we can talk about making it more perfect the government needs to start following the Constitution.  Once we're back to following the Constitution, I'll be happy to argue the folly of having the federal government coin money and operate post roads.

A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2005, 01:52:18 PM »

If you can't even reform a major party in a Libertarian direction, what makes you think you'll ever be able to reform the country in a Libertarian direction?
Trilobyte

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2005, 01:55:08 PM »

The way they blame government for all our problems, deserving or not, as though  the problems would disappear once we got rid of government.

Their belief that government is being "oppressive" simply for taxing people to deliver the greater good. It just seems like a very heartless ideology.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2005, 02:54:00 PM »

The way they blame government for all our problems, deserving or not, as though  the problems would disappear once we got rid of government.

Their belief that government is being "oppressive" simply for taxing people to deliver the greater good. It just seems like a very heartless ideology.
Are people justified in stealing from others to delvier the "greater good"(as that was ever possible of measuring)? No! Then why are governments?
Kant formulated a Categorical Imperative, not a Categorical-Except-If-You're-A-Government-Agent Imperative. God delivered a commandment "Thou shalt not steal", not "Thou slhalt not steal, except to deliver the common good."
Trilobyte

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2005, 05:06:57 PM »

Are people justified in stealing from others to delvier the "greater good"(as that was ever possible of measuring)? No! Then why are governments?
Kant formulated a Categorical Imperative, not a Categorical-Except-If-You're-A-Government-Agent Imperative. God delivered a commandment "Thou shalt not steal", not "Thou slhalt not steal, except to deliver the common good."

If you think taxes = theft, you don't understand what theft means.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2005, 05:14:37 PM »

Obsessive taxation is theft.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2005, 05:19:07 PM »

If you think taxes = theft, you don't understand what theft means.
´

Dictionary.com search for theft:

Theft   Audio pronunciation of "theft" ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (thft)
n.

1. The act or an instance of stealing; larceny.
   2. Obsolete. Something stolen.

Stealing:
teal   Audio pronunciation of "stealing" ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (stl)
v. stole, (stl) sto·len, (stln) steal·ing, steals
v. tr.

1. To take (the property of another) without right or permission.
   2. To get or effect surreptitiously or artfully: steal a kiss; stole the ball from an opponent.
   3. To move, carry, or place surreptitiously.
   4. To draw attention unexpectedly in (an entertainment), especially by being the outstanding performer: The magician's assistant stole the show with her comic antics.
   5. Baseball. To advance safely to (another base) during the delivery of a pitch, without the aid of a base hit, walk, passed ball, or wild pitch.

How is taxation not taking away property without permission?
Trilobyte

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2005, 05:52:07 PM »

Dictionary.com search for theft:

Theft   Audio pronunciation of "theft" ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (thft)
n.

1. The act or an instance of stealing; larceny.
   2. Obsolete. Something stolen.

Stealing:
teal   Audio pronunciation of "stealing" ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (stl)
v. stole, (stl) sto·len, (stln) steal·ing, steals
v. tr.

1. To take (the property of another) without right or permission.
   2. To get or effect surreptitiously or artfully: steal a kiss; stole the ball from an opponent.
   3. To move, carry, or place surreptitiously.
   4. To draw attention unexpectedly in (an entertainment), especially by being the outstanding performer: The magician's assistant stole the show with her comic antics.
   5. Baseball. To advance safely to (another base) during the delivery of a pitch, without the aid of a base hit, walk, passed ball, or wild pitch.

How is taxation not taking away property without permission?

Permission is given when the government received its mandate from the people to carry out its agenda.

So you're saying the government is stealing from YOU, so that YOUR kids can go to school? So that the roads and highways YOU drive on are paved?

Is the mother who demands child support from the father stealing from him? Does a baby require "permission" to receive her mother's milk?

Libertarians keep talking about "individual rights", but what about responsibility? Citzenship comes with rights and duties. They never talk about the needs of the community and contributions toward the common good. Is it fair to ask for representation without taxation? That's why I think libertarianism is a heartless ideology.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2005, 06:26:30 PM »

Uh, 51% of the public does not constitute a mandate to spend the other 49 percent's money.
Trilobyte

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2005, 07:15:20 PM »

Uh, 51% of the public does not constitute a mandate to spend the other 49 percent's money.

Does the 49% drive on paved roads? Do their children go to public school? Do they eat government-inspected food? Does the military and police protect them and their property?

To NOT pay taxes for those services would actually be theft.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2005, 07:52:23 PM »

They're mistrust of government.  All government.  All workers.  THEY'RE ALL EVIL SAY THE LIBERTARIANS!

And they also love corporations.  There is nothing wrong with corporations.  Corporations are SO GO, THEY SHOULD RUN THE GOVERNMENT!
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2005, 09:53:49 PM »

Does the 49% drive on paved roads? Do their children go to public school? Do they eat government-inspected food? Does the military and police protect them and their property?

To NOT pay taxes for those services would actually be theft.

You can't take someone's money, give them something, and then get upset when they complain.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2005, 10:42:05 PM »

My views are most anti-libertarian on economic issues.

On social issues, I agree with them in a lot of cases.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies