For Want of a Cigar...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:15:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  For Want of a Cigar...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: For Want of a Cigar...  (Read 802 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 10, 2005, 11:39:46 PM »
« edited: January 11, 2005, 12:01:48 AM by SE Gov. Ernest »

September 13, 1862 - just outside Frederick, Md.
  Pvt. Harry Walden was feeling real good.  He'd found three cigars this morning on the field the Rebs had camped on earlier, wrapped in some paper.  Since Harry couldn't read, he never knew that the paper had other uses besides the kindling he intended to use it for.

September 21, 1862 -  Dillsburg, Penn.
  Gen. Lee  wrestled with the decision he had to make.  It was tempting, with Harrisburg so near to try for it, but if it couldn't cross the Susquehanna fast enough, the Army of Northern Virginia might get caught between the river and the Army of the Potomac that was cautuiously trailing him.  He had accomplished what he wanted, and this was no time to gamble.  He would head northwest to Carlise while sending Stuart on a fient towards Harrisburg.  Hopefully McClellan would be fooled again so that he ended up in the wrong place again.

September 21, 1862 - York, Penn.
   McClellan was in a foul mood.  He had received yet another telegram from the gorilla reminding him of the necessity of bring Lee to battle, and the sooner the better.  It was aginst his nature, but he decided to act.  Lee was obviously heading for Harrisburg.  He would send his men there first and be waiting.

September  23, 1862 - Camp Hill, Penn.
   General Stuart was in a very good mood as he prepared to head west and rejoin Lee.  They had caught the Yankees all strung out as they headed to Harrisburg.  Not only had he surprised them, but he had prisoners, prisoners he couldn't wait to show Marse Robert.

September 24, 1862 - Carlisie, Penn.
   “General Lee,” said General Stuart, “it was quite a success, we even took some prisoners.”
   “It's hard enough, keeping track of our own troops, although a few officers wouldn't be so bad.  Did you get any of value?”
   “I’ll let you be the judge of that,” he said, motioning to his aide to go get the prisoner who was waiting outside. “General Lee, I have the honor of presenting to you, General McClellan, lately of the Army of the Potomac.”

October 2, 1862 - London
   With the news from Pennsylvannia, the result of the vote was a foregone conclusion.  Her Majesty's Government extended recognition of the Confederate States of America and Napolean III did the same the next day.

October 10, 1862 - Washington, D.C.
   The news from Kentucky was not great, but it would do thought Lincoln as he signed the Emancipation Proclomation.  Hopefully, the British would pause long enough that news of what he today would be able to restrain themselves from recognizing the Confederacy.  If only there were a cable that crossed the ocean.  Still, even if the British gave the nod to the Rebels, he didn't think that they would go to war over cotton

November 10, 1862 - Washington, D.C.
   The results of last week's elections were mostly in by now.  It could have been worse, thought Lincoln.  The next Senate would remain in Republican hands, while the House was closely divided, with those who had run as Unionists holding the balance of power, and he would have the safely Republican lame duck session to deal with until March.

More to come...
danwxman

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 11:54:19 PM »

I live between Carlisle and Camp Hill. I'm actually only a half mile from the historical marker for the "farthest northern advance of the confederate army"
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 12:07:30 AM »

I live between Carlisle and Camp Hill. I'm actually only a half mile from the historical marker for the "farthest northern advance of the confederate army"

Wasn't that advance in 1863?
danwxman

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 12:17:41 AM »

Wasn't that advance in 1863?

June 29, 1863. I believe there was a small skirmish and several confederates were killed. Sadly, the spot is now surrounded by a huge highway and suburban townhouses.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 01:15:59 AM »
« Edited: January 12, 2005, 01:25:28 AM by SE Gov. Ernest »

November 11, 1862 - Arlington. Va.
   General Burnside was pleased with his plans, after all he had managed to command the Army of the Potomac fairly well since the debacle at Camp Hill.  He would have started out sooner, but it had taken time for the pontoon bridges to be assembled, which was all to the good.  Conferences with Halleck had shown that there had been a misunderstanding about where the bridges were to go, and Lee would not be expecting him to march this late in the year.

November 30, 1862 - Hannover Jct., Va.
  General Lee surveyed the scene in front of him.  Those people would have to cross the North Anna in order to get to Richmond along the rail route, but if Burnside decided to spurn the rails again and cut cross country, he would have a time of it getting in place to block him again.  If only he had discerned what the Army of the Potomac was up to in time to block Burnside at Fredricksburg. The Rappahannock was a more substantial steram, and terrain better favored the defense there than here.  McClellan had been exchanged shortly before the election, but not surpisingly, Lincoln had declined to put him back in charge of the Army of the Potomac.

December 2, 1862 -  Hannover Jct., Va.
   The battle had been handily won by the Union forces, but in his hour of glory, Gen. Burnside had been wounded.  Gen. Hooker had the command, but he didn't know what to do with it.

January 29, 1862 -  Brest, France
    Louis Napolean watched the fleet depart the harbor.  It wasn't a large one, but it should prove enough for the purpose he had in mind.

February 2, 1863 - Hannover Jct. Va.
   “The Army of the Potomac has been under your command now for two months,” read Gen. Hooker.  “Your lack of vigor has caused me conclude that the Army of the Potomac could use fresh leadership.  You are ordered to transfer command of the Army of the Potomac to Gen. Meade and return to Washington, D.C. for reassignment to other duties.”

February 19, 1863 - Mouth of the Rio Grande
   Comdr. W. E. Le Roy could hardly believe his eyes as he looked out from the deck of the USS Keystone State in the pale moonlight.  Granted, the nearness of Mexico often caused the blockade runnders to be a bit bold, but four ships in full sail, was bold indeed.  They should be rich prizes for him and his crew, if they could manage to capture them all.

February 20, 1863 - Matmoros, Empire of Mexico
   “A toast to the gallant Commodore who taught the impudent Yankee curs last night to not meddle with the French Navy!”

February 25, 1863 - Washington, D.C.
   “Ambassador, until we receive an acceptable reply from your Emperor concerning the sinking of the Keystone State, you are not welcome in this country, although I hope I shall be able to offer you a warm welcome upon your speedy return,” said the President.

March 10, 1863 - London
   “Your Majesty, I regret to announce that the furor raised by the incident between the French and the Americans in the Gulf of Mexico has made it impossible for this goverment to continue in office, ” said Lord Palmerston.  “I must ask you to dissolve Parliament and call for new elections.”
   “We are not amused by this turn of events,” said Queen Victoria.  “Especially on the day of Bertie’s marriage.  It will have to wait until next week.  We will not have our efforts to have our heir settle down be overshadowed by foreign affairs.”

April 2, 1863  - Culpepper, Va.
   General Pleasanton looked around at devastation that war wrought with awe.  Gen. Meade had turned him loose to raid on the enemy in force, so as to preempt any action that Lee might send his own horse cavalry on, or even worse, Stonewall's foot cavalry.

April 29, 1863 - London
   Lord Derby signed contentedly as he entered Number 10 as Prime Minister for the third time.  Unlike the first two times, he had a Conservative majority backing him in the Commons, auguring a lengthy stay for him this time.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 10:57:57 AM »

bump
The next post will take things up to the results of the Confederate elections of 1863, but I don't have time to write that just yet.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies