I might be about to get the ACLU to go after my school
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:49:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  I might be about to get the ACLU to go after my school
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: I might be about to get the ACLU to go after my school  (Read 2605 times)
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 10, 2012, 02:27:05 PM »

Here's a letter I sent, which explains the situation.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 02:41:08 PM »

Did you check this page out?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 02:43:37 PM »

My oldest daughter is in the GSA, it's one of the bigger after school groups at her HS.  Good luck with your quest to get it going at yours.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 02:56:44 PM »

What's a "Gay-Straight Alliance"?

e: Of course I forgot there was a thing called "Google".
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 02:59:45 PM »

To be honest I find the name of the club "Gay-Straight alliance" pretty lulzy. Not trying to be offensive, but it probably comes across that way. Was there really no better alternative when the first clubs were being created?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 03:02:13 PM »

I never got the concept of an "alliance". It seems to imply that outside of that class room they're using temporarily after school, there's some sort of all out gay-straight war. It also seems to imply that if there were such a war, the gay part is on an equal footing with the straight part in terms of manpower and territory. It's just a weird, awkward, laughable name to me. "Before we formed, there was war. And not just the heroic kind, but all out boody war. But when a member of the straight state department came into contact with a gay colonel, they soon realized that 'Hey, we're not so different after all'. And there, the treaty now commonly known as the "Gay-Straight Alliance" was forged, soon to be ratified by both the gay and straight nations."
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 03:07:38 PM »

To be honest I find the name of the club "Gay-Straight alliance" pretty lulzy. Not trying to be offensive, but it probably comes across that way. Was there really no better alternative when the first clubs were being created?
I never got the concept of an "alliance". It seems to imply that outside of that class room they're using temporarily after school, there's some sort of all out gay-straight war. It also seems to imply that if there were such a war, the gay part is on an equal footing with the straight part in terms of manpower and territory. It's just a weird, awkward, laughable name to me. "Before we formed, there was war. And not just the heroic kind, but all out boody war. But when a member of the straight state department came into contact with a gay colonel, they soon realized that 'Hey, we're not so different after all'. And there, the treaty now commonly known as the "Gay-Straight Alliance" was forged, soon to be ratified by both the gay and straight nations."

Yeah, the name made me giggle a bit - it's kind of a silly, over-the-top choice, no?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 03:08:17 PM »

You've met gay people right? Wink
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 08:40:28 PM »

Equality club sounds like a much better, and more inclusive, name. Not everyone who is non-het is a gay.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 08:43:33 PM »

Yeah, the name made me giggle a bit - it's kind of a silly, over-the-top choice, no?

It's a pretty standard name for an organization having anything to do with LGBT issues in a high school setting.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 09:01:20 PM »

Equality club sounds like a much better, and more inclusive, name. Not everyone who is non-het is a gay.

I went to a school that had a 'Queer-Straight Alliance', which was semantically preferable but just sounded bizarre.
I'm JewCon in name only.
Klecly
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 6.52

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 09:06:51 PM »

My school barely avoided this situation.  It's now the 3rd or 4th largest club in my mainly conservative high school. lol.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 09:17:11 PM »

My school barely avoided this situation.  It's now the 3rd or 4th largest club in my mainly conservative high school. lol.
Conservative high school is almost an oxymoron. My suburban high school voted 60-65% for Obama(can't remember) in Richland, WA, which probably votedat least 60% Republican.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 10:13:02 PM »

At my school it's just called "The Alliance"

Formerly known as the "The Gay Straight Alliance"
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 10:48:33 PM »

That's cringeworthy - I  second my platypus friend from Australia, what's wrong with "equality club" or something? "Gay-Straight Alliance" sounds like the lamest superhero crimefighting unit in history.

Obviously this is the important issue here.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2012, 10:55:21 PM »

I understand a club for gay students but what exactly is a "Gay-Straight Alliance"?
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2012, 10:56:07 PM »

My high school club was named exactly that, but we were in 70% Obama land.  Grin
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2012, 10:59:06 PM »

I understand a club for gay students but what exactly is a "Gay-Straight Alliance"?
A club that both gays and straights join, I guess to show that they get along.  Colleges probably like that.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2012, 11:11:04 PM »

A club that both gays and straights join, I guess to show that they get along.  Colleges probably like that.

What do they... y'know... do, though?
I'm JewCon in name only.
Klecly
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 6.52

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2012, 11:21:50 PM »

Conservative high school is almost an oxymoron. My suburban high school voted 60-65% for Obama(can't remember) in Richland, WA, which probably votedat least 60% Republican.

By conservative I mean at least 40% republican. Almost 55% of our student government here are conservatives.

My high school is FAR from the average HS  btw.

Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2012, 11:23:55 PM »

Promote tolerance and equality.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2012, 11:48:59 PM »

By conservative I mean at least 40% republican. Almost 55% of our student government here are conservatives.

My high school is FAR from the average HS  btw.

Well what I mean is that probably over 90% of high schools in US voted for the democratic candidate, considering that I lived in one of the most conservative areas in Washington that's like R+20, and the school body still voted democratic.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2012, 01:20:56 AM »

If you need to get help I recommend contacting F.I.R.E. we got them to come and help us on my campus after our Free Speech Wall incident last semester and they can be a great help. Not only did the school back down on the policy we were protesting, FIRE is now making them look at other areas in the school policy that violate 1st amendment rights.

(for further details google "SHSU" + " Obama" lol)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2012, 10:53:27 AM »

That's cringeworthy - I  second my platypus friend from Australia, what's wrong with "equality club" or something? "Gay-Straight Alliance" sounds like the lamest superhero crimefighting unit in history.

Obviously this is the important issue here.

^^^^^
Thread Over.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2012, 03:48:11 PM »

Mostly talk about "gay issues," like coming out and discrimination and whatnot. My college's gay straight alliance ran a anonymous hotline for at-risk gay youth to call. Others plan "gay proms" and similar things.

Basically, it's just a collection of gay folks (and their allies) who work to make sure that at least someone, even if it's a dorky club, is acting in the gays' best interest.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies