What happens if Santorum actually wins Ohio tomorrow?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 11:24:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  What happens if Santorum actually wins Ohio tomorrow?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What happens if Santorum actually wins Ohio tomorrow?  (Read 2110 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 05, 2012, 12:45:18 PM »

Of course it's not happening (for we truly live in the worst of all worlds), but if he does, is the race back on?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 12:51:19 PM »

I guess? He can't even get a bunch of the delegates available from there though because of his own campaign's ineptitude.

I have more hope for Newt and his little southern strategy.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 12:52:55 PM »

I guess? He can't even get a bunch of the delegates available from there though because of his own campaign's ineptitude.

Newt played it smart - with a win in Georgia, strong showing in Tennessee, and two big wins in Alabama and Mississippi next week, he could be right back in this.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 12:54:33 PM »

The media doesn't really care about delegates, though.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 01:03:56 PM »

The media doesn't really care about delegates, though.

Indeed. But at some point, they will start to matter. Romney will never drop out due to being embarrassed in a few states.
ajb
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 01:14:44 PM »

I think it's going to be pretty hard for anyone not named Mitt Romney to win the nomination at this point. But there's a real difference between winning easy and winning hard. A Santorum win in OH would definitely keep us on the "winning hard" track, as would Gingrich doing well in MS/AL next week. Romney wins in OH and TN tomorrow, and in MS/AL next week, would move him decisively to the winning easy side, and would give him the chance to start rebuilding his reputation with general election voters.
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 01:25:38 PM »

If Rick wins Ohio tomorrow (and as a given Romney loses Tennessee) then Kansas, MS and AL are totally out of reach, and I think Santorum would take Illinois too, leaving Romney shut out for nearly a month. He should take Maryland/DC on April 3rd. I think even if Romney wins Ohio Kansas will be out of reach (Huckabeee won there in 2008 completely against the run of play) and Newt will surely take MS and AL if he does well at all tomorrow. So I don't think Ohio is that decisive, maybe it could decide Illinois.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 01:30:07 PM »
« Edited: March 05, 2012, 01:32:17 PM by Torie »

Of course it's not happening (for we truly live in the worst of all worlds), but if he does, is the race back on?

Not if despite that, Mittens bags about half the delegates, which is what I expect. It is about delegate counts now. I expect the momentum thing to fade.

I expect Mittens to win Illinois by the way. The demographics there are much better for him than either Michigan or Ohio.
Reds4

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 01:33:12 PM »

Seems to me like Ohio is likely to go Romney, but it should be very close. The feedback from Huckabee's forum in Wilmington the other night from most people I know in Ohio was that Romney and Gingrich both did better in that forum than Santorum did. I'm sure there weren't too many people watching that, but it likely swayed some votes.

If Santorum does win though, it is definitely huge news and gives him momentum again.
hotpprs
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: 3.83

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 02:36:17 PM »

Romney is going to have the most delegates going into the GOP convention.
Big wins by Santorum or Gringrich can only, at best, deny Romney a first ballot win at the convention.
But regardless, the GOP is not going to pick anyone else when Romney gets to the convention with his lead. There may be some back room deals to get him the delegates to put him over the top. But he will be the nominee. Period. End of story.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 06:01:52 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Goddamn, this is frusterating.

Count up the delegates. The south - FL is not enough delegates. to even force a brokered convention.

Santorum gives you the same strength in the south + strength in the midwest sufficient to beat Romney.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 06:03:56 PM »

Newt's done already.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 06:11:25 PM »

What I'm hoping for is that Gingrich and Santorum both win a couple of states and, as a result, both surge (as Romney only truly has about 27% of real support) and we have a three way race the rest of the way.  If Romney has attack two people at once, he'll completely fall apart.
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 07:00:51 PM »

What I'm hoping for is that Gingrich and Santorum both win a couple of states and, as a result, both surge (as Romney only truly has about 27% of real support) and we have a three way race the rest of the way.  If Romney has attack two people at once, he'll completely fall apart.
I can't believe so few people see this. Even if Romney takes 7 states tomorrow he's not taking KS, MS or AL. Who will you vote for in NM King?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 07:08:50 PM »

After KS, there really is no place for him to go.  If he stays in, and looks strong, he hurts Gingrich in the south and throws AL and MI to Romney.  He'd have to hold out until MO, and refight that.

The calendar, after the 13th, favors Mittens.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 11:22:51 PM »

Right now, Gingrich is hurting him in the south, not the reverse. Santorum's actually stronger than Newt.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2012, 12:42:19 AM »

I can't believe so few people see this. Even if Romney takes 7 states tomorrow he's not taking KS, MS or AL. Who will you vote for in NM King?

Depends on what the polls show.  If looks clear in any direction, I'll probably just vote for Paul.

NM is near last in the nation so it likely won't matter.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2012, 10:12:42 AM »

Right now, Gingrich is hurting him in the south, not the reverse. Santorum's actually stronger than Newt.

No, Santorum is hurting Gingrich in the south, or will be if he's still running next week.  GA is not a problem and TN is up for grabs.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2012, 10:25:33 AM »

Gosh, this is fun.

Newt is hurting Santorum in the South, because Santorum is stronger than Newt.

What part of 'Santorum stronger than Newt', aren't you getting?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2012, 11:09:54 AM »

J.J is a subterranean mammal which I wish to beat with a plastic hammer.

As I've said before, unless you're female, tall, and dark skinned, I won't be going there.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2012, 05:31:42 PM »

The big question is not if neocon Rick wins Ohio, it's if Ron Paul wins a state fair and square and doesnt get cheated like he did in Iowa and Maine (which RP won but they were given to Mitt)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2012, 05:57:16 PM »

I think the campaign narrative is about to shift to delegates pretty soon. That's what happened after last Super Tuesday, after all, in 2008. Huckabee winning both states after it did not stop McCain for example.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies