Wall Street Journal thinks readers are too stupid to understand meaning of "GOP"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 02:21:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Wall Street Journal thinks readers are too stupid to understand meaning of "GOP"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Wall Street Journal thinks readers are too stupid to understand meaning of "GOP"  (Read 1905 times)
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 25, 2012, 08:21:34 PM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/12/03/politics/main531460.shtml?tag=re1.channel

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 08:44:24 PM »

Oh great, we have degenerative ignorance now. The GOP acronym is all the prevents the confusion of the modern day GOP with Jefferon's "Republicans". Since academia has abandoned use of the term "Democratic-Republican" for the more histortically accurate designation of "Republican", this couldn't be worse for ensuring accurate knowledge of US political history. Tongue
I'm JewCon in name only.
Klecly
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 6.52

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 08:52:30 PM »

Not shocking, i was one of 5 kids in my AP Gov't class to know the term GOP. I purposely use the GOP to describe my party so the stupid can get used to it.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 08:52:47 PM »

Oh great, we have degenerative ignorance now. The GOP acronym is all the prevents the confusion of the modern day GOP with Jefferon's "Republicans". Since academia has abandoned use of the term "Democratic-Republican" for the more histortically accurate designation of "Republican", this couldn't be worse for ensuring accurate knowledge of US political history. Tongue

Accurate knowledge of political history? Maybe but personally I find it inaccurate that we call these Republicans the Grand Old Party, instead of the grander and older Jeffersonians.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 09:12:10 PM »

Accurate knowledge of political history? Maybe but personally I find it inaccurate that we call these Republicans the Grand Old Party, instead of the grander and older Jeffersonians.

The Jeffersonians are long gone...

(Also, it's being used in the same sense as "good ol' boy" or "a grand old time").
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 09:16:24 PM »

The Federalists were even older (if by only a few years) and had a much "Grander" vision for the country then the Jeffersonians did. It should be remembered that most Republicans connected themselves with the Whigs and the Federalists when the term GOP was adopted. Hence President Hayes' submission, "I was the best President since John Quincy Adams with the exception of Abraham Lincoln". Perhaps it is fair to drop the term GOP, since the party has done so much to run away from it's Federalist past and connections in the post Reagan era. They still shill for monied interests though. The one connection that has lasted 223 years and shows no sign of ending any time soon.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 10:11:52 PM »

America becomes more ignorant by the year.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 11:07:03 PM »

Not surprising.  A lot of people probably don't know what it means.  But I think it's actually making a comeback with social media becoming more popular... "GOP" is easier to fit into a Tweet than "Republicans" or "Republican Party"
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 11:32:48 PM »

Am I the only one to read GOP like "GAWP"? I know people don't say it like that, but that's how I read it.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 01:25:24 AM »

Am I the only one to read GOP like "GAWP"? I know people don't say it like that, but that's how I read it.

It just always reminds me of GOProud, but talking about those creepy folks would get me accused of being "bigoted toward gay conservatives."
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 12:41:55 PM »

How is it inaccurate?  Even if the Democratic Party is older (and 1826 vs. 1854 isn't really all that long a margin), the Republican Party is still definitely "old" by any stretch of the imagination at the ripe old age of 157.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 06:55:53 PM »

The name is allusion to the Grand Army of the Republic, the major veteran's organization of the Union Army of the Civil War.  That allusion is not something that is particularly relevant to today's politics and  certainly not appropriate for Southern Republicans.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 07:05:55 PM »

How about  CHOP for the Democrats?

Cat Herding Older Party
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2012, 07:54:56 PM »

To paraphrase Voltaire, the GOP is neither grand, nor old, nor a party.  Smiley

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, 09:14:29 PM »

How is it inaccurate?  Even if the Democratic Party is older (and 1826 vs. 1854 isn't really all that long a margin), the Republican Party is still definitely "old" by any stretch of the imagination at the ripe old age of 157.

There aren't many political parties older than 157, true.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2012, 09:18:35 PM »

There aren't many political parties older than 157, true.

I think the Democrats and the British Tories are the only parties in the world right now that are older; they're definitely the only major ones that come to mind.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2012, 09:26:33 PM »

I think the Democrats and the British Tories are the only parties in the world right now that are older; they're definitely the only major ones that come to mind.

Strictly speaking even the Tories aren't as old.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2012, 10:17:26 PM »

You sure?  Didn't they get their start in the late 17th century as the party most sympathetic to the monarchy, with roots in the Cavalier faction? 
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2012, 10:39:36 PM »

You sure?  Didn't they get their start in the late 17th century as the party most sympathetic to the monarchy, with roots in the Cavalier faction? 

The Conservative Party proper was not founded until 1834.  If we go the "earliest predecessor" route, the Democrats and Republicans are equally old, and the oldest political party in the world is actually the Liberal Democrats...
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2012, 10:42:41 PM »

I think the Colorado Party in Paraguay's up there too. It's definitely the oldest in Latin America, unless I'm forgetting something.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2012, 10:55:42 PM »

I think the Colorado Party in Paraguay's up there too. It's definitely the oldest in Latin America, unless I'm forgetting something.

You've got the wrong 'guay.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2012, 11:19:28 PM »
« Edited: February 27, 2012, 08:26:22 AM by Nathan »

You've got the wrong 'guay.

Both have Colorado Parties which are very old, but you're right, the Uruguyan one is older. It's actually only very slightly younger than the Democrats or Tories, and older than the Republicans.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2012, 11:23:03 PM »

When I first saw this (forum) headline, I first thought it was referring to the goals of the GOP--which actually makes sense since conservatives do try to manipulate issues to their advantage.

The name is allusion to the Grand Army of the Republic, the major veteran's organization of the Union Army of the Civil War.  That allusion is not something that is particularly relevant to today's politics and  certainly not appropriate for Southern Republicans.

Yes, but "Republican" loosely means "for the country" and "Democrat" loosely means "for the people" which does make sense especially relating to military policy.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2012, 01:51:38 AM »

The New York State Democratic Committee dates to 1792.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2012, 07:25:24 AM »

The Conservative Party proper was not founded until 1834.

And the modern party was only established in 1912.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies