Private schools
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:41:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Private schools
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8
Poll
Question: Is there any circumstance where you would send your kid to a private school?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Author Topic: Private schools  (Read 24597 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: January 15, 2005, 11:29:46 PM »

And we don't get anything like things like citizenship grades.

Would it be fair to say that public school has no discipline at all?  Tongue

We get behavior grades and detention and whantot, so not really.

Yet some public school kids complain "Private school is too strict" and whine and whine and whine. It just seems like there's no discipline and I can certainly make that case in some city public schools.

Private schools can be ridiculously pressuring, but as a whole they're not too strict. Public schools are quite strict.

1) "Ridiculously pressuring" in what ways? Like how teachers "beat" students, according to some who posted in this thread?

2) Public schools are not "quite strict" in the inner cities.

2) No, but neither would be private schools if they were in the inner cities.

There aren't private schools in the inner city? Private schools suddenly cannot stress discipline because they might be in the inner city?

What? Wink + Tongue

I'm saying that with the same student base, private inner-city schools would be no better. They just keep the poor away.

And I don't go to an inner-city school; the point is moot.

Once again, you're wrong. There inner city private schools that take in poor kids and give them a good education.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #151 on: January 15, 2005, 11:35:49 PM »

Yet some public school kids complain "Private school is too strict" and whine and whine and whine. It just seems like there's no discipline and I can certainly make that case in some city public schools.

Private schools can be ridiculously pressuring, but as a whole they're not too strict. Public schools are quite strict.

1) "Ridiculously pressuring" in what ways? Like how teachers "beat" students, according to some who posted in this thread?

There aren't private schools in the inner city? Private schools suddenly cannot stress discipline because they might be in the inner city?

What? Wink + Tongue

I'm saying that with the same student base, private inner-city schools would be no better. They just keep the poor away.

Once again, you're wrong. There inner city private schools that take in poor kids and give them a good education.

This is true, but those tend to be the driven, intelligent kids. They do not take the "riff-raff." The public schools have to.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #152 on: January 15, 2005, 11:46:37 PM »

What? Wink + Tongue

This is true, but those tend to be the driven, intelligent kids.

If that was the case, sorry that we direct more attention towards those that show an effort.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #153 on: January 15, 2005, 11:55:38 PM »

What? Wink + Tongue

If that was the case, sorry that we direct more attention towards those that show an effort.

Actually, you direct all attention to them. Unfortunately, today, those who aren't smart can't receive a good education. Obviously, the more driven students should receive a better education, but drive and intelligence are not equal. I'm a big believer in honors classes, both public and private.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #154 on: January 16, 2005, 12:15:16 AM »

What? Wink + Tongue

Actually, you direct all attention to them. Unfortunately, today, those who aren't smart can't receive a good education. Obviously, the more driven students should receive a better education, but drive and intelligence are not equal. I'm a big believer in honors classes, both public and private.

All the attention to kids that show effort? Sorry that we ask for that, Alcon. And don't you dare say that if someone isn't smart they are shunned or cannot receive a good education. I'm in almost all honors classes but my school doesn't focus every last bit of attention on students like myself because we are smarter. I know of plenty of kids in my high school who aren't that bright but my school dedicates the time to them. If they want to learn, they learn. I don't need you telling me otherwise.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #155 on: January 16, 2005, 12:18:45 AM »

All the attention to kids that show effort? Sorry that we ask for that, Alcon. And don't you dare say that if someone isn't smart they are shunned or cannot receive a good education. I'm in almost all honors classes but my school doesn't focus every last bit of attention on students like myself because we are smarter. I know of plenty of kids in my high school who aren't that bright but my school dedicates the time to them. If they want to learn, they learn. I don't need you telling me otherwise.

Phil, you take debates way too personally. I like you a lot, but, man, you don't have to take everything to heart.

What I actually said is that it's a shame that less intelligent but highly motivated students are considered "dumb" and discouraged, NOT that students with no drive receive too little of an education.

"Don't you dare" is an introduction that should be reserved to when someone insults your base lifestyle, not when you just disagree with someone. If you're really that offended about it, I'm sorry, but your school pride is ridiculous.

I know a lot of not-so-smart kids that are discouraged. Their teachers never consider them for placement because they receive B's. Sure, they might not receive great grades in honors, but they would try their best.

Most private schools around here require an IQ test for enterance.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #156 on: January 16, 2005, 12:23:42 AM »

Phil, you take debates way too personally. I like you a lot, but, man, you don't have to take everything to heart.

What I actually said is that it's a shame that less intelligent but highly motivated students are considered "dumb" and discouraged, NOT that students with no drive receive too little of an education.

"Don't you dare" is an introduction that should be reserved to when someone insults your base lifestyle, not when you just disagree with someone. If you're really that offended about it, I'm sorry, but your school pride is ridiculous.

I know a lot of not-so-smart kids that are discouraged. Their teachers never consider them for placement because they receive B's. Sure, they might not receive great grades in honors, but they would try their best.

Most private schools around here require an IQ test for entrance.

I don't take it personally. It's the fact that you think you know everything about private schools.

I have school pride because of people like yourself who have these huge misconception. I don't know what went on at your school but it's certainly not the model for the private schools in this country. I know teachers here try their hardest to see their lower tracked students succeed in the classroom. They receive a fair amount of attention. I'm proud of that. I certainly don't feel that that pride is ridiculous.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #157 on: January 16, 2005, 12:26:25 AM »

I don't take it personally. It's the fact that you think you know everything about private schools.

I don't. I have been to private schools. I know what private schools are like here; I present only my local perception. If I thought I knew everything about private schools, I would say that I thought I did. I don't think I do.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You misunderstood my post; I was speaking generally - a lot of those kinds of kids never make it into private school because they have had the drive drained out of them. Yes, less intelligent kids in private schools are going to be more driven than those in public schools - it's why they're there.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #158 on: January 16, 2005, 12:29:48 AM »

I don't. I have been to private schools. I know what private schools are like here; I present only my local perception. If I thought I knew everything about private schools, I would say that I thought I did. I don't think I do.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You misunderstood my post; I was speaking generally - a lot of those kinds of kids never make it into private school because they have had the drive drained out of them. Yes, less intelligent kids in private schools are going to be more driven than those in public schools - it's why they're there.

1) When you say "Private schools do this and that" I get the feeling that you're talking about most private schools. Sorry but WA's private schools are clearly not the model.

2) I still don't get where these students have "the drive drained out of them." Maybe it starts at home or around friends. I don't know of any teacher in my school atleast that makes someone who might not be as smart as the others seem dumb.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #159 on: January 16, 2005, 09:15:44 AM »

That is absolutely appalling!
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #160 on: January 16, 2005, 10:29:21 AM »

It sounds a bit unlikely.  I thought the main qualification was ability to pay, or perhaps Waspness.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #161 on: January 16, 2005, 11:19:50 AM »

There are all sorts of private schools.  Some require entrance exams, and some may not.  There are private schools dedicated specifically toward those with learning problems, while others take only top students.  Others still take all students without severe learning problems, who they don't have the resources to serve properly.

Public schools have a harder job than private schools because they have to take all students, and bleeding-heart liberals have made it impossible for them to rid themselves of students who are there only to create problems.  Private schools can demand a certain level of accountability from both students and parents, while public schools cannot.

Many parents expect the school to do the whole job of educating their kids, but this is impossible.  Parents are the primary educators, and those who put nothing into their kids' education get little from the school.

I think that relatively low-cost private schools in urban areas provide a huge service.  Usually, these schools are Catholic schools.  I know many non-Catholics living in these types of areas, without access to decent public education, who sent their kids to Catholic school and they got a good education and stayed out of serious trouble, which would have been impossible in the public schools in those areas, which are to a large degree juvenile delinquent centers.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #162 on: January 17, 2005, 02:37:09 AM »
« Edited: January 17, 2005, 02:46:20 AM by phknrocket1k »

The private school kids have the wildest parties on the weekends; because thier so damn religously strict and expierence a backlash. 

Usually these kids end up being wealthier and top-customers of drug dealers; who wants to sell drugs to poor kids, theres no cash in that, and it all intertwines together.

But quality-wise public schools are about equivalent or better over here.  Even better if you take the dollar-to-education ratio, into account.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #163 on: January 17, 2005, 02:52:55 AM »

The private school kids have the wildest parties on the weekends; because thier so damn religously strict and expierence a backlash. 

Usually these kids end up being wealthier and top-customers of drug dealers; who wants to sell drugs to poor kids, theres no cash in that, and it all intertwines together.

But quality-wise public schools are about equivalent or better over here.  Even better if you take the dollar-to-education ratio, into account.

What a sheer stupidity.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #164 on: January 17, 2005, 02:54:14 AM »

What a sheer stupidity.

Agreed.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #165 on: January 17, 2005, 02:56:47 AM »

Tell me about it. I had to take an IQ test when I was five. I love seeing the notes by now - "during the second half of the test, Alcon appeared agitated, frequently throwing blocks at the wall."
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #166 on: January 17, 2005, 02:59:57 AM »
« Edited: January 17, 2005, 03:03:25 AM by phknrocket1k »

What a sheer stupidity.

Come over here, you might not like what you see.

Thats how private-school kids are.  Those kids are literally willing to give up thier Playstations and iPods for marijuana.

I'm not sure if its the religous strictness that causes this, but its a problem. Its a boon for the drug dealers because all the wealthy kids are in one spot.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #167 on: January 17, 2005, 03:04:06 AM »

What a sheer stupidity.

Thats how private-school kids are.  Those kids are literally willing to give up thier Playstations and iPods for marijuana.

I'm not sure if its the religous strictness that causes this, but its a problem. Its a boon for the drug dealers because all the wealthy kids are in one spot.

I go to a private school. I've never seen any drug dealers around the place.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #168 on: January 17, 2005, 03:07:30 AM »
« Edited: January 17, 2005, 03:10:16 AM by phknrocket1k »

Do you have any friends?

I'm talking about thier weekend parties, thier wealthy, can give up PS2s and iPods for marijuana, never seen kids that desperate though.

Our private school, Memorial, always provides a huge base; kids are wealthy and can actually afford it.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #169 on: January 17, 2005, 03:09:23 AM »

Yes. No one has ever tried to sell me any drugs.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #170 on: January 17, 2005, 03:10:39 AM »
« Edited: January 17, 2005, 03:15:52 AM by phknrocket1k »

Do you go to parties?

The ghetto public-schools in Fresno, hardly have drug problems, because nobody can afford it.

The wealthy kids easily are willing to pay a premium for it.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #171 on: January 17, 2005, 03:12:19 AM »

Hey, man, you got the stuff?

Me neither, by the way. That's not done at school so much is in bad neighborhoods. In any case, it is understandable that private school students might rebel, but phknrocket is overgeneralizing.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #172 on: January 17, 2005, 03:16:37 AM »

What a sheer stupidity.

Of course there are private school kids that are addicted to drugs and will do anything for drugs but there are just as many public school kids who would do the same. It's such a sad thing. However, to blame it on the "religious strictness" and the "experience of a backlash." Who do they experience a backlash from? Most of their friends go to a private school.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #173 on: January 17, 2005, 03:19:42 AM »

What a sheer stupidity.

Of course there are private school kids that are addicted to drugs and will do anything for drugs but there are just as many public school kids who would do the same. It's such a sad thing. However, to blame it on the "religious strictness" and the "experience of a backlash." Who do they experience a backlash from? Most of their friends go to a private school.

Private school kids rebel for the same reason rich kids do; they are bored, and desire to be "different." It's slumming - they do it to feel included, for attention, or because they are tired of hearing they had everything handed to them.

It's a psychological desire we all have - we tend to overdo things to make our lives sound harder than they are, even if we will immediately turn around and defend them. It's the way we all work.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #174 on: January 17, 2005, 03:21:14 AM »

What a sheer stupidity.

Private school kids rebel for the same reason rich kids do; they are bored, and desire to be "different." It's slumming - they do it to feel included, for attention, or because they are tired of hearing they had everything handed to them.

It's a psychological desire we all have - we tend to overdo things to make our lives sound harder than they are, even if we will immediately turn around and defend them. It's the way we all work.

I guess I'm not part of that rebel group. It's not how I work. Oh darn.  Smiley
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies