Private schools
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:05:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Private schools
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Poll
Question: Is there any circumstance where you would send your kid to a private school?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Author Topic: Private schools  (Read 24595 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 08, 2005, 02:18:54 PM »
« edited: January 08, 2005, 02:37:49 PM by 21 Year Old Sex Crazed BRTD »

I vote no. There is absolutely none. Not even if I won the lottery and I lived in the school district of those crappy urban center public schools you always hear about. I know how much my kid would hate it, I dreaded the thought of private schools when I was in high school and wondered how anyone could go to such an awful place that made you wear uniforms. I'm glad my parents didn't want to send me to such a place and I never would send anyone either.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2005, 02:21:26 PM »
« Edited: January 08, 2005, 02:33:44 PM by Senator Bono »

I think the question is: Would there be any circumstance where you would send your kid to public school. the answer would be no, I'd enver send my kid to public school.

I go to a privte school, and they dont force us to wear uniforms, it's an open campus, and it's pretty better than the sh**tty public school from my area, where it rains in classrooms.
Hitchabrut
republicanjew18

Political Matrix
E: 8.38, S: 7.49

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2005, 02:24:47 PM »

I went to a religious private school until middle school ands I'd be happy to send my children there.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2005, 02:36:54 PM »

Private schools have smaller class sizes and teach better than Public Schools. The biggest problem with private schools are the costs.

Cashcow

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2005, 02:40:44 PM »
« Edited: January 08, 2005, 02:50:13 PM by Cashcow »

Ugh, I hate the idea of a private school. Only under the worst of circumstances.

I go to one of the best public schools in the country. It is probably better than most private schools.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2005, 02:48:26 PM »

When I have kids, I will send them to private schools. Great education, learn about the faith, very safe environment.

BRTD, your hatred for uniforms always gives me a good laugh.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2005, 02:50:17 PM »

There wasn't a single kid at my school who wouldn't have hated uniforms.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2005, 02:51:37 PM »

There wasn't a single kid at my school who wouldn't have hated uniforms.

Ok? Go to a private school and ask them how much they hate it. You won't find many. Most don't even care. I swear you have the maturity of a six year old at times. "Oh no! Uniforms! ahhhhhhh!" Give me a break.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2005, 02:54:43 PM »

As a private school boy who has worked as classroom support in the state system, I've got a bit of experience from both sides of the fence.

There are good state schools out there, and there are certainly some brilliant teachers even in the worst of state schools. On the whole, private schools do offer a better standard of education I think, but obviously it has a price tag. That said, I've come across some absolutely appalling private schools as well, mostly because they were run by teachers who took the job because it had a higher salary, but were in fact awful teachers. A school is defined by its teachers, not by whether it is state or private. If I had children, I could happily send mine to either.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2005, 02:55:11 PM »

Since I don't know of any of my friends having gone to a private school I should ask them all if they would've liked wearing uniforms. I bet the answers will be all no.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2005, 02:56:08 PM »

I wouldn't take them out of a public school and put them in a private school, but if I started them in a private school, I don't see why they would care.

Of course, I wouldn't put them in a school with uniforms or anything gay like that.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2005, 02:57:16 PM »

Since I don't know of any of my friends having gone to a private school I should ask them all if they would've liked wearing uniforms. I bet the answers will be all no.

Sorry but the public school perception of private school kids/activities is always a joke. I bet if you ask some of them, they'd probably say private school students still get beat with a ruler.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2005, 03:01:32 PM »

We have uniforms in pretty much all schools in the UK and frankly I think it fosters an amount of discipline. I personally didnt dislike uniforms, though there were certainly people who did.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2005, 03:02:21 PM »

I can't really say, I have always gone to public school so I don't know what the alternative is like. I have no problems in my public school that's for sure.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2005, 04:03:29 PM »

I grew up in a place where public schools had uniforms and physical education (3 hours a week) required black shorts, no shirt, and no shoes, outside on the football field.  I liked that.

I went to public schools, and private schools.  I much prefer the latter, and my kids will always go to private schools.  If they force a uniform and discipline and marching, so much the better.

Discipline is the most important thing a kid has to learn, and you will only learn that in a private or home school.  Uniforms contribute to discipline.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2005, 04:25:00 PM »
« Edited: January 08, 2005, 04:30:28 PM by Senator Bono »

I grew up in a place where public schools had uniforms and physical education (3 hours a week) required black shorts, no shirt, and no shoes, outside on the football field.  I liked that.

I went to public schools, and private schools.  I much prefer the latter, and my kids will always go to private schools.  If they force a uniform and discipline and marching, so much the better.

Discipline is the most important thing a kid has to learn, and you will only learn that in a private or home school.  Uniforms contribute to discipline.

I trust it was a boys only school. Anyways, you only liked it 'cus you could check out all the boys.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2005, 04:25:28 PM »

I attend a private school and would definitely send my children to private school.

By sending children to private school, you do the state a service. I don't feel like explaining it now but will if pressed.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2005, 04:32:26 PM »

I trust it was a boys only school. Anyways, you only liked it 'cus you could check out all the boys.
Oh.  No, it was mixed, but girls had separate physical education and they had a different dress code.

And this was primary school, before I was checking anyone out.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2005, 04:34:06 PM »

There are circumstances.

1. The public schools in my area/state are all crappy, and I can't move far due to my job(my parents moved from Atlanta to metro-Atlanta to get me in better public schools, but could keep their jobs because it wasn't too far) and there is a competent private school that I would agree with.

2. There is a highly credited private school in the area that I like, and I can afford to send my kids there. (provided it is better than the public ones in the area)

3. Variations of the above.

BRTD, I assure you that you would find a good private school for your kids if the public schools were terrible(or move, if you could, to an area with better schools). Of course, you would no doubt shop around for one that agrees with your views - no uniforms, non-religious, ect.

Personally, I think if I ever attain a great deal of wealth(probably not gonna happen) I would open a number of affordable private schools in areas where the public system is falling apart, maybe even offer scholarships to bright students whose parents couldn't afford to send their kids to one of my schools.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2005, 04:35:03 PM »

Oh.  No, it was mixed, but girls had separate physical education and they had a different dress code.

And this was primary school, before I was checking anyone out.

My bad.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2005, 05:08:06 PM »

I went to Catholic schools for 16 years and I have nothing but good things to say about it.  Keystone is exactly right, I loved having a uniform. It was good to just role out of bed, take a shower and just throw your uniform on.  You didn't have to see if something matched or was wrinkled.  I fail to see how something so superficial as clothing can help one express their individuality. 
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2005, 05:15:54 PM »

If all of the public schools were horrible and I could afford it, yes, I would.  Most of the public schools where I live are excellent, however, so if I lived where I do right now, no, I probably wouldn't.  There's no reason to.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2005, 06:51:05 PM »

No. Couldn't even come close to affording it anyways.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2005, 06:57:36 PM »

I went to both public and private schools.

In the 1970s, public education was taken over by many hare-brained liberal ideas, such as that discipline is bad.  Many public schools have trouble maintaining discipline because parents don't support the school when their child is causing problems.  Private schools don't have to deal with these people, and that alone makes them better in a way.

People often say that public schools are more reflective of the real world than private schools, but that's not really true.  Where in the real world, what employer, would tolerate a situation in which a person who continuously disrupts the flow of work is not gotten rid of?  In reality, private schools are more like the real world - like employers, they can be selective about who they take in, and get rid of those who are a detriment to the institution.

In general, public schools in good areas, at least, offer a broader range of cirriculum and facilities than private schools.  I went to a state of the art public school in an affluent area, and they spared no expense to offer the best of everything.  The problem there was that it was too liberal and unstructured.  Their attitude was "this is what we have to offer; it's up to you to avail yourself of it" and beyond that, there was almost no discipline or supervision.  That doesn't work with junior high and high school students.  There were those who were self-motivated and performed very well, but others who could have done well fell by the wayside because they discovered there were no consequences for failure to follow the rules.

My parents took me out of that school and put me in private school for grades 9-12.  They didn't like the environment, and my academic performance and behavior was not really where it should have been.  The private school had a dress code and there were unpleasant consequences for breaking rules.  The environment was more controlled and therefore more productive.  They pushed students to do well rather than taking the laissez faire attitude that the public school did.

I got into some trouble there, but the awareness that there would be consequences for breaking rules kept my trouble below a certain threshold.  I performed well academically, much better than I would have in public school.  I never cut a class until senior year (in public school, I cut all the time without consequence), and when I did, I spent hours staring at the wall in detention, or doing after-school work details.  That didn't eliminate my cutting, but it severely limited it.

I'm very glad that I went through high school in a more controlled environment.  I think it provides much better overall education, and better preparation for the real world.  Not to say that private school is always better than public school, but in some cases it definitely is.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2005, 07:13:42 PM »

Ugh, I hate the idea of a private school. Only under the worst of circumstances.

I go to one of the best public schools in the country. It is probably better than most private schools.

Yes, same here Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies