Santorum says the 45,000,000 Protestants in America are not Christians
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:23:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Santorum says the 45,000,000 Protestants in America are not Christians
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Santorum says the 45,000,000 Protestants in America are not Christians  (Read 10905 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 19, 2012, 11:19:34 PM »
« edited: February 20, 2012, 11:17:00 AM by SANTORUM: NO WELFARE FOR BLACKS ER I MEAN FOR BLAHS »

Santorum excommunicates all Protestants in America from Christianity in 2008 speech 

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2012/02/18/427529/santorum-excommunicates-45-million-christians-mainline-protestants-are-gone-from-the-world-of-christianity/

In a 2008 speech at Ave Maria University, Rick Santorum, a devout Catholic, warned about the dangers of “the NBA” and “rock concerts,” but also said that while Protestants founded America, mainline Protestantism is in such “shambles” that “it is gone from the world of Christianity as I see it”:

We all know that this country was founded on a Judeo-Christian ethic but the Judeo-Christian ethic was a Protestant Judeo-Christian ethic, sure the Catholics had some influence, but this was a Protestant country and the Protestant ethic, mainstream, mainline Protestantism, and of course we look at the shape of mainline Protestantism in this country and it is in shambles, it is gone from the world of Christianity as I see it. [...]

You can decide for yourself.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 11:24:59 PM »

Just we mainliners. Not nearly old testment oriented for a taliban lite type like rick.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 11:29:45 PM »

Just we mainliners. Not nearly old testment oriented for a taliban lite type like rick.

As a functional matter, Rick has put you in about the same category as I am Badger (an essentially Godless secularist with no loadstar by which to guide you, save the amoral algorithm of pragmatism and sentiment), and busy at work undermining the very fiber which made America great. Deal with it!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 11:31:52 PM »

Omg! I just had an image of how people would react if obama said 'i feel fundamentalist protestants and traditionalist catholics have fallen away from christianity'. Can you IMAGINE the (justified) screams of 'religious bigotry' and 'anti-catholicism'. Now let's just wait to hear people explain away santorum's equivilently bigoted narrow-minded intolerant remarks......

Waiting.........
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 11:33:23 PM »

Or did he excommunicate all Protestants in America from Christianity?

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2012/02/18/427529/santorum-excommunicates-45-million-christians-mainline-protestants-are-gone-from-the-world-of-christianity/

In a 2008 speech at Ave Maria University, Rick Santorum, a devout Catholic, warned about the dangers of “the NBA” and “rock concerts,” but also said that while Protestants founded America, mainline Protestantism is in such “shambles” that “it is gone from the world of Christianity as I see it”:

We all know that this country was founded on a Judeo-Christian ethic but the Judeo-Christian ethic was a Protestant Judeo-Christian ethic, sure the Catholics had some influence, but this was a Protestant country and the Protestant ethic, mainstream, mainline Protestantism, and of course we look at the shape of mainline Protestantism in this country and it is in shambles, it is gone from the world of Christianity as I see it. [...]

You can decide for yourself.

Imagine if Romney said anything remotely approaching this hogwash! Romney isn't interested in forcing his religious views upon anybody else, unlike a certain Vatican man...
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 11:40:39 PM »

Omg! I just had an image of how people would react if obama said 'i feel fundamentalist protestants and traditionalist catholics have fallen away from christianity'. Can you IMAGINE the (justified) screams of 'religious bigotry' and 'anti-catholicism'. Now let's just wait to hear people explain away santorum's equivilently bigoted narrow-minded intolerant remarks......

Waiting.........

"Wet" religionists are worse than the religionless. I have experienced that again and again personally. I had this really nice chat with a JW last month. He was quite fascinated by me. I am just not a competing product for the relevant sales market - more like some exotic item sold in a boutique. So, well, anyway, you are used to the brickbats from the usual suspects of course.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 12:29:20 AM »

Does he even believe in Gravity or was he the original writer of Conservapedia?
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 12:30:15 AM »
« Edited: February 20, 2012, 01:14:16 AM by Politico »

He needs to consult with the Pope, or at least one of the Cardinals from here, on the matter before he can publicly speak about gravity.

Don't even get him started on the sun and the center of the universe. According to Santorum, Washington, DC and the Vatican are OBVIOUSLY the center of the universe.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 12:31:15 AM »

What do you think he thinks of the bible verse-

Matthew 19:12 ?
BigSkyBob

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 12:49:17 AM »

Again, this is yet another example of gross distortion.

The short answer is, "Yes, Rick Santorum believes 45,000,000 mainline Protestants in America are in fact Christians."

The long answer involves a careful study of the "Re-imagining 1993" conference held in Minnesota with the support and participation of the National Council of Churches [mostly mlp], and a series of other theological debates within those churches. The upshoot is that many are experiencing schisms, bleeding membership and otherwise showing themselves to be a in a state of "shambles."  That is a fact.

Much of the internal debates within those churches is whether, or not, some of the theological stances the church leadership have taken are heretical. Apparently, Santorum agrees with many of the dissidents within those churches. Is this such a big deal?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 01:00:28 AM »

I wonder what Yelnoc thinks about this ("Catholics are so much more tolerable despite what the church says because it's just a cultural thing and all Protestants are pretty unhinged.")
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 01:22:32 AM »

I thought Catholics stopped attacking Protestants as being heretics about four hundred years ago.

Does Santorum still have a middle ages mentality or what?

A review of Santorum's book essentially referred to him as having a 'great mind for the 13th Century'.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 01:29:21 AM »

I thought Catholics stopped attacking Protestants as being heretics about four hundred years ago.

Does Santorum still have a middle ages mentality or what?

A review of Santorum's book essentially referred to him as having a 'great mind for the 13th Century'.

That would be perfect except I doubt people in the 13th century thought the way he did about the "Man on Dog" type stuff.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 01:34:50 AM »

Romney, Santorum, and Gingrich are not Protestants. Obama is. Heads are going to explode if people realize that.
ajb
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 01:52:02 AM »

The short answer is, "Yes, Rick Santorum believes 45,000,000 mainline Protestants in America are in fact Christians."

The long answer involves a careful study of the "Re-imagining 1993" conference held in Minnesota with the support and participation of the National Council of Churches [mostly mlp], and a series of other theological debates within those churches. The upshoot is that many are experiencing schisms, bleeding membership and otherwise showing themselves to be a in a state of "shambles."  That is a fact.

Much of the internal debates within those churches is whether, or not, some of the theological stances the church leadership have taken are heretical. Apparently, Santorum agrees with many of the dissidents within those churches. Is this such a big deal?

He does say that mainline Protestants are "gone from the world of Christianity as he sees it." To split hairs, that's not quite saying that they're not Christian. But it's certainly pointing heavily in that direction.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 02:05:31 AM »

He does say that mainline Protestants are "gone from the world of Christianity as he sees it." To split hairs, that's not quite saying that they're not Christian. But it's certainly pointing heavily in that direction.

Many of the parishioners of those churches have come to the conclusion that their leadership has left the world of Christianity as they understand it, thus, the schisms, and, defections. Are they questioning their own faith? No, they are questioning the leadership of their churches.
ajb
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 02:41:10 AM »

Many of the parishioners of those churches have come to the conclusion that their leadership has left the world of Christianity as they understand it, thus, the schisms, and, defections. Are they questioning their own faith? No, they are questioning the leadership of their churches.

Sure. But many others remain in those churches. And consider themselves to be Christian, even though they're Lutheran, or Methodist, or Presbyterian, or even Episcopalian!

You may not agree with them, and that's your right. It's also Rick Santorum's right to stand up for his convictions. I just don't see how anyone expects to win 270 electoral votes by establishing so many preconditions for accepting anyone's support.

And you know, maybe Santorum doesn't care about winning 270 electoral votes.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 04:36:34 AM »

If he does, he's probably beyond redemption.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 04:48:53 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Santorum has an interesting opinion on this, fwiw. His positions are identical to what all Protestants believed in the 1930s. He differs from them, in that he has the modern, post-Vatican II understanding of the Protestant/Catholic divide.

Most, if not all of the evangelicals are drawing this line in the sand already - putting themselves and horrors, the Catholics, on the same side of the line, with the episcopalians on the other.

He also seems to be drawing a line in the sand between the faithful who have left their churches because of the same nonsense that he is calling out and those who stayed. This is not an insignificant number, and the fact that a Catholic can understand the difference is going to be significant.

Obama is as tone deaf as it comes to what Christians believe and how they practice their faith.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 05:39:42 AM »

Haha he warned about the dangers of the NBA? What, did he get offended when they stopped wearing booty shorts?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2012, 06:28:13 AM »

That's really quite unfair on the 13th century.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2012, 08:26:28 AM »
« Edited: February 20, 2012, 08:30:11 AM by Mist »

That's really quite unfair on the 13th century.

Roger Bacon and William of Ockham must be spinning in their only nominal graves.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2012, 11:26:33 AM »

Haha he warned about the dangers of the NBA? What, did he get offended when they stopped wearing booty shorts?

Too many blah people in the NBA, I suppose.
ajb
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2012, 11:32:48 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Obama is as tone deaf as it comes to what certain Christians believe and how they practice their faith.
Fixed.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2012, 11:53:05 AM »

If Winfield continues to make new topics centered around a talking point each day, he seriously must be banned. I know he's in panic mode now because Romney is crashing and burning but he shouldn't be getting hysteric on us.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies