How Will This Play for Santorum Among Independents/Democrats?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:29:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  How Will This Play for Santorum Among Independents/Democrats?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: How Will The Story Below Play Among Independents/Democrats If Santorum Is The Nominee?
Should Help

Should Hurt

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 23

Author Topic: How Will This Play for Santorum Among Independents/Democrats?  (Read 3795 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2012, 09:55:09 PM »

Some of you will really learn common decency. It's really very pathetic.

That's the abstract 'you', I hope.  Every post thus far (even Politico, if we are to believe it) has been on the same side of this.

Yes, abstract but I don't think it's odd for me to question Politico's sincerity. I think we know what he's angling at by posting this.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2012, 09:59:49 PM »

That's the abstract 'you', I hope.  Every post thus far (even Politico, if we are to believe it) has been on the same side of this.

Yes, abstract but I don't think it's odd for me to question Politico's sincerity. I think we know what he's angling at by posting this.

He's clearly trying to suggest that it makes him appear "odd" ... but while many people can't imagine doing that... most people haven't been in the situation of having to consider what to do when that happens.

TRYING to make it an issue is flat-out wrong, and a political kamikaze mission.

Santorum has his statements and his positions to be beaten on...
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2012, 10:21:08 PM »

Coldly, objectively, analytically, anyone who attacked Santorum or his family for this would look like a complete ass, and the reason they would look like a complete ass is because they would actually be a complete ass to do it.  Such attacks would viciously backfire on whomever made them, the public would find the attacker to be callous, unfeeling and worthless, and, since, whatever their political disagreements, people don't want complete asses to be their president, the public would, quite rightly and justifiably, respond by withdrawing their support from the attacker.  It is not even the slightest bit difficult to understand what the outcome of such an attack on Santorum and his family would be.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2012, 10:46:09 PM »

I'm ashamed to admit that, honestly, yeah, my instinctive reaction to that story was to be a little weirded out. But that doesn't matter - I don't think I'd react that way, but how do I know? I have no idea what it's like to lose a child and I'm certainly not going to make judgements about the actions of grieving parents. Any candidate that would even hint at bringing this up as an attack would, deservedly, collapse instantly.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2012, 11:13:11 PM »

Normally I would agree, but so far everyone I've told about this is thoroughly disgusted and now adamantly against Santorum.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2012, 12:02:36 AM »

It's a little odd....like the candidate himself....but I don't see it helping or hurting. Anyone trying to push this would get hurt instead.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2012, 12:09:11 AM »

Not this again.

There are lots of reason to vote against Santorum. This is not one of them.

^^^^

and I find it ridiculous that this is even being brought up.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2012, 01:06:15 AM »

There are few graceful ways to deal with death. When it involves one's own children one can see any level of mawkishness. Rick Santorum is very mawkish about his children. He is apparently a loving husband and father, and if he wanted his children to develop some connection to a little brother who lived only two weeks plus gestation time (since to him life begins at conception) -- so be it.

No political capital here, so just move along.     
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2012, 06:08:05 AM »

Please elaborate. After all, nobody on here is more familiar with Santorum and his electoral prospects.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2012, 06:31:21 AM »

Just stop with this.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2012, 10:40:47 AM »

I'm not gonna criticize how a parent deals with a deceased newborn?
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2012, 11:33:03 AM »

It's a little creepy, and plays into the narrative of him being a bit of an odd religious nut and overwrought/emotional at times.

I don't really care personally what people do in such situations, but the optics are not favorable for him among independents/Democrats (especially independents, IMO).  It's an additional question mark that he doesn't need against Obama.

The impact would be different on other candidates, FWIW.  I think it'd be a net positive for Romney, because it would personalize him more.  Paul it's probably a push - he's already perceived as weird but his being an obstetrician would minimize it.  Newt, it would probably be more or less disregarded as a quirk, but really, can you imagine Newt getting sentimental about a stillborn baby when he's dumping sickly wives?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies