Mid East Speech/Press Conferance
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 11:47:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mid East Speech/Press Conferance
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mid East Speech/Press Conferance  (Read 948 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 06, 2005, 08:23:38 AM »

A school in Southside Chicago

I'm here today to introduce someone who is going to literally change your lives.

He is a man who understands that if you have a bad start in life, a bad education, you are going to struggle for the rest of it no matter how hard you work.

He understands that communities are vital to an education system that actually works.

He understands that simply blaming the teachers or their unions is a cop out from lazy suburban politicians who don't care what happens to you lot 'cos when you can vote you won't vote for 'em anyway.

Kids, I want you to meet the leader of the NASUWT, the former Attorney General of Atlasia and you're next Governer... Peter Bell
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 08:48:27 AM »

*Walks out onto the stage; Peter shakes Al's hand at the podium and exchanges a few words with Al that are inaudible over the noise of the crowd*

Thank You Senator.

We are here today in Chicago, Illinois; In a school district run down both by an education system that no longer cares about it; An area so stricken by poverty that parents can barely afford to put food on the table for their children, let alone contribute to their education.

Today, I come to you with a pledge to revolutionise the way we teach our children. My plan will ensure that money is more effectively spent and that more of it gets to schools like the one behind me.

Ladies and Gentlemen, here is my plan:

I'm going to cull the vast majority of the bureaucracy at the higher levels of Regional government. My aim will be to decentralise the way in which decisions are made in education: The majority of money presently spent in the primary and secondary education will be sent direct to Local School Boards with no strings attached. You heard me, no strings, other than its for the best educational needs of the kids within your jurisdiction.

I don't believe that central government should be in the business of micro-managing the spending at each school, so I'm leaving it to individual School boards and the schools themselves. They know where the need is, I don't.

The remainder of the money will be allocated to a Regional fund that will be set up to help schools in deprived areas and schools that cater to special needs. Many of these schools have suffered from a starvation of cash for many years, they need fresh injections to get them back on their feet, and thats what I'm going to do.

When I say special needs, I don't just mean schools for the disabled, I also mean schools for the gifted, because to me, thats a special need as well. These children are the future of our country, they deserve the very best and should never be short of funding.

Also established with this money will be a fund that will help rebuild and maintain school buildings, such as some of the crumbling buildings you see today at this school. Today, too many children are having lessons in classrooms that aren't fit for the purpose, I'm going to turn this around; In co-ordination with the Local School Boards, this fund will bring our schools into the 21st century.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I'm fighting for a Progressive Social Agenda, and the highest priority of any government should be to provide education for its children to provide a secure economy for tomorrow. Thats why I'm making this my flagship policy and the highest priority of my administration should you elect me.

*Music: Happy Days are Here Again*

*Al joins Peter in shaking the hands of some members of the crowd*
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 09:01:38 AM »

I support Peter Bell's education plan 100%. I look forward to working with him as Governor and myself in the Senate to make it a reality.

Great speech.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 09:06:15 AM »

I support this.

I have some qualms with the first part actually...the state has no business micromanaging schools' spending, yes...but there should be some amount of oversight. Also, I don't think Atlas schools are as tightly controlled by central authorities as British ones...but I totally agree with it's general direction. Smiley

The second part is absolutely excellent.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2005, 09:15:55 AM »

I have some qualms with the first part actually...the state has no business micromanaging schools' spending, yes...but there should be some amount of oversight.

There will still be a curriculum that has to be taught in all schools and also there will be an inspection and auditing process that will be responsible for evaluating the competence of local level management. It will provide its reports directly to the people, who will then make their judgements when electing school board officials; I think that accountability in education can only be a good thing. I will not allow for directives that say only so much may be spent on textbooks and only so much may be spent on teacher salaries: Each community is different and has different needs, our education policy must reflect this.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2005, 09:17:41 AM »

I have some qualms with the first part actually...the state has no business micromanaging schools' spending, yes...but there should be some amount of oversight.

There will still be a curriculum that has to be taught in all schools and also there will be an inspection and auditing process that will be responsible for evaluating the competence of local level management. It will provide its reports directly to the people, who will then make their judgements when electing school board officials; I think that accountability in education can only be a good thing. I will not allow for directives that say only so much may be spent on textbooks and only so much may be spent on teacher salaries: Each community is different and has different needs, our education policy must reflect this.
Okay, qualms dispelled. Smiley
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2005, 11:31:22 AM »

*extreme amounts of cheering*
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2005, 03:19:00 PM »

You've got my vote.

I like the plan, although keep in mind I gave Atlasia at large an extra 19 billion for schools, so I guess that factors into a few extra billion to spend.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies