Sudden, inner realization that I am a libertarian?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:12:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Sudden, inner realization that I am a libertarian?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Sudden, inner realization that I am a libertarian?  (Read 2197 times)
Is Totally Not Feeblepizza.
Crackers
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 30, 2012, 09:56:42 PM »

So, I just now realized that...I'm a libertarian!?!

I've been secure in my actual beliefs for some time--I'm socially libertarian, fiscally conservative, and a foreign policy realist (though admittedly I lean more toward the hawkish side). But I've been supporting  the wrong candidates the whole time. Examples and B are Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum, who I've been supporting somewhat jointly since around November, and I've always managed to reason with myself: "Oh, sure, they'll try to cram these things down our throats but it'll never pass", and "Yes, Rick Santorum is obsessed with gay marriage, but he's solid on other issues as well", without realizing that no, their fixation with this crap is totally unnecessary and abnormal.

I realized just today that I need to get out of this. And so I also realized: "Damn, I'm probably a moderate libertarian. I oppose legal abortion and I support strong national security measures, but I'm definitely a libertarian nonetheless".

So, have any of you ever had this sudden realization that you were calling yourself by the wrong name politically and that you were supporting the wrong causes and candidates?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 09:59:06 PM »

Sorry to here that bro. Hope it clears up.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 10:04:01 PM »

I don't know, judging by your description (foreign policy hawkish, opposed to legal abortion, strong national security measures) you still seem like a conservative to me, just a socially moderate conservative. Why aren't you supporting Mitt Romney?
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 10:19:19 PM »

No, you're not. I'm also fairly sure what your initials are.
Crackers
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 07:31:59 AM »

I don't know, judging by your description (foreign policy hawkish, opposed to legal abortion, strong national security measures) you still seem like a conservative to me, just a socially moderate conservative. Why aren't you supporting Mitt Romney?
I am by no means "socially moderate". I support legalizing and regulating certain drugs, as well as prostitution. I am of the "anything goes as long as you don't hurt anyone, and if you hurt yourself that was your fault" mindset.

I am not supporting Mitt Romney because of his flip-flops. It makes me think of him as inherently dishonest. But, then again, I had been supporting the wrong candidate(s) prior to this realization so I may be inclined to take another brief look at him.

No, you're not. I'm also fairly sure what your initials are.
"G.O.P."? If so, I was never a Republican anyway. I despise the two-party system in this country.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 10:50:47 AM »

Pretty much the worst sort of libertarian.

"Oh yeah, I'm a libertarian, and I'm for low taxes - except for those aspects of government I hold dear like Defence - and I'm very much an anything goes man on social policy except I want abortion to be illegal. "
Crackers
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 11:33:47 AM »

"Oh yeah, I'm a libertarian, and I'm for low taxes - except for those aspects of government I hold dear like Defence - and I'm very much an anything goes man on social policy except I want abortion to be illegal. "
Hmm, no, the DoD is so riddled with waste that it's not even funny. Yes, national security is a very important responsibility for our government, but we could certainly find a better to go about it.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 09:58:11 PM »

Hmm, no, the DoD is so riddled with waste that it's not even funny. Yes, national security is a very important responsibility for our government, but we could certainly find a better to go about it.

If you genuinely support cutting defense or protecting civil liberties, then you have a very poor understanding of what people normally mean when they use phrases like "strong national security measures."
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 11:41:06 PM »

If you genuinely support cutting defense or protecting civil liberties, then you have a very poor understanding of what people normally mean when they use phrases like "strong national security measures."

He might not want cuts & instead just thinks that the defense budget is really poorly managed, which is probably true. It's quite lol-worthy that we spend about a trillion dollars a year on defense projects when the #2 spender doesn't even spend $100 billion.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 10:44:00 PM »

You're a neo-conservative.  You place heavy importance on foreign policy/defense issues and you don't feel strongly enough about things like gay marriage, drugs, or prostitution to disqualify Gingrich or Santorum from being your choice.
Crackers
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 05:33:53 PM »

He might not want cuts & instead just thinks that the defense budget is really poorly managed, which is probably true. It's quite lol-worthy that we spend about a trillion dollars a year on defense projects when the #2 spender doesn't even spend $100 billion.
^ Yes, this.

You're a neo-conservative.  You place heavy importance on foreign policy/defense issues and you don't feel strongly enough about things like gay marriage, drugs, or prostitution to disqualify Gingrich or Santorum from being your choice.
Hmm, no, not really. Foreign policy/defense issues are infinitely less important than the economy right now. And I disqualified Santorum and Gingrich from being my choices....
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 09:11:02 PM »

It sounds--to me at least--that you're socially libertarian-leaning, fiscal conservative, with a right-wing foreign policy and a left-wing domestic policy. I'd best describe you as a Conservative-leaning Libertarian. Hopefully you abandon that hawkish foreign policy though Smiley
Crackers
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 09:22:06 PM »

It sounds--to me at least--that you're socially libertarian-leaning, fiscal conservative, with a right-wing foreign policy and a left-wing domestic policy. I'd best describe you as a Conservative-leaning Libertarian. Hopefully you abandon that hawkish foreign policy though Smiley
Explain what exactly you mean by this, please.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 11:54:28 PM »

So.. Not libertarian at all.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 06:34:10 AM »

Legal drugs, prostitution, etc.
Crackers
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 07:31:17 AM »

That would actually be considered a libertarian domestic policy, but sure.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 09:12:07 AM »

That would actually be considered a libertarian domestic policy, but sure.

Meh. What's your opinion of welfare, environmental policy, education, campaign finance reform, etc. MOAR DOMESTIC ISSUES
Crackers
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 10:25:40 AM »

Meh. What's your opinion of welfare, environmental policy, education, campaign finance reform, etc. MOAR DOMESTIC ISSUES
Welfare: Finding jobs for the disadvantaged >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> giving them handouts
Environment: Eh, I'm all for conservation and protecting the environment, but we needn't kill jobs in the process. We should reexamine that vast, complicated labyrinth of EPA rules and regulations to try to find a balance between job growth and a clean environment.
Education: Do away with the federal Dept. of Education and handing things over to the states, school vouchers, charter schools, etc.
Campaign finance: No McCain-Feingold. Limit corporate/union/PAC donations. Allow individuals to donate as much as they want as long as their names are released to the public.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 04:28:20 PM »

Center-right-leaning Libertarian Domestic policy.

Overall, you're probably a Center-Right leaning Conservative/Libertarian.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2012, 05:09:03 PM »

I don't think that normal people have sudden inner realizations to this effect.
Crackers
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2012, 05:47:28 PM »

I don't think that normal people have sudden inner realizations to this effect.
I think I'm guilty of poor wording. I didn't have a sudden inner realization that I am a libertarian; rather, I had a sudden inner realization that I am a libertarian and am supporting the wrong candidates.

And even so, I wouldn't really count myself among the "normal" people of this earth Tongue.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, 09:04:44 PM »

Don't know if this was said previously in the thread, but that's somewhat close to Goldwater.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2012, 09:31:52 PM »
« Edited: February 08, 2012, 09:35:02 PM by the brute choir »

Again, since you seem to be confused: You can not be libertarian and not support the non-aggression principle. Libertarianism /=/ "mainline" conservatism minus the jesus stuff. Or whatever Glenn Beck or Bill Maher said this week.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2012, 09:37:21 PM »

Again, since you seem to be confused: You can not be libertarian and not support the non-aggression principle. Libertarianism /=/ "mainline" conservatism minus the jesus stuff. Or whatever Glenn Beck or Bill Maher said this week.

What's that position fully entail again?
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2012, 09:48:24 PM »

What's that position fully entail again?

Not favoring the "initiation of force" (or threat of force) against individuals for any reason. And I mean, any reason. If you can think of an exception to that stance you're not actually a libertarian. It's sort of like saying you're a marxist but very patriotic or a muslim except you don't believe in the whole "god" thing.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/block/block26.html
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies