Opinions of your Professors/Educators/Teachers and their respective classes.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 09:27:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinions of your Professors/Educators/Teachers and their respective classes.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Opinions of your Professors/Educators/Teachers and their respective classes.  (Read 514 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 24, 2012, 08:04:44 PM »

We all have a certain Teacher or Professor we hate. This is my take on the classes I have each day. I go to a small, Christian school, seeing as I am too stupid to test into the good public schools  (I’m zoned for one of the worst in the county).

Heres my take on each class and its teacher...

Science: Nice enough lady in her mid 40's with 5 kids. One of the better teachers, but has a hard time disciplining the class when it gets rowdy. Not very forceful, what so ever. The class itself is pretty easy.

Study Hall: An older woman in her late 60's who picks favorites. I’m one of the lucky ones not on her bad side. It seems I am always one of the librarian’s favorites, no matter what school I am at.

Personal Fitness: The guy is the opposite of your stereotypical PE teacher, skinny, white, and old. Looks like Thad McCotter with a rat tail that was cut off at the very start.

Health: One of the better teachers I have had over my life. For starters, she is only 8 years older than most of us. Second of all, she's a big Ron Paul supporter Tongue I liked her Bible class more though.

Algebra: Despite being one of the supposedly "mean" teachers, she is actually a really good one. She is probably in her mid 50's, or something, and in many senses, she does seem like your run-of-the-mill cranky old lady. Its always funny when she picks on people, because leaves no stone unturned.

English: Again, another older woman. Really pleasant and nice, but the class is surprisingly hard. She also works part time at a nearby college, keep in mind.

Christian Leadership (Mon, Wed, and Thursday): This is a perfect example of a "do nothing class". We sit around, and talk about various religious subjects. The teacher is a woman in her late forties, and is apparently active in a local mega church, of which she is high up in, too. She's met some pretty famous people in that community.

Career Research: The guy who teaches this is in his mid fifties. He's married, and has no kids. Kind of weird, as well. For example, he frequently brings up pointless subjects (such as the PS2 he recently bought for himself), and his whole class focuses almost entirely on vocab.

And my former classes from last semester were ok as well, for the most part.

Computer Applications 1: To quote another student, she is a “cliché big fat angry black chick”. She is what the most vitriolic Republicans try to paint Michelle Obama as. She had a habit of assigning projects with no directions at all (for example, telling us to write a paper on the history of Microsoft, but then marking every ones paper down 30% for not using MLA format. I used MLA, fortunately, but 80% of the class was not so lucky). The most annoying thing is, she is actually retired (and she is only in her early fifties) and does the class for a few hours each day as a part time thing.

Bible: That was an awesome class. Same people, teacher, and room as the Health class I now take. But we talked about the various points of Theology. For example, the Hypostatic Union, or the Trinity, among various other things. I found the segment on the “personality of Jesus” to be extremely interesting.

Of course, some of my past teachers deserve a mention. Like my 7th grade teachers (two different homerooms, and we alternated between classes for them), one of whom was a extremely intelligent (and equally unattractive) 23 year old woman who had no control and was way to advanced to be teaching us anyway. The other was a sun scarred creep from Nebraska who had a habit of massaging our shoulders (both boys and girls) during class. My 8th grade teachers, in contrast, were amazing. 
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 08:14:21 PM »

English: One of the chillest motherf'ers i've ever met anywhere. My favorite teacher of all time. His class is so awesome and he's so laid back. He has the sense of humor of a 5 year old and it's so funny.

E Commerce Marketing: Worst class ever. Lots of stupid upperclass kids who NEVER SHUT UP.

Journalism: Awesome class. We're graded based on submissions to the school newspaper.

Gym: Sucks.

TV Production: Cool class. Fun. Laid back teacher.

Lunch: Smiley

World Cultures: British guy. Absolutely hilarious, also insanely intelligent. Fun class.

Algebra: Kids NEVER SHUT UP omg it's so hard to f**king learn in that class.

Biology: Meh.

German: Meh.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 10:30:50 PM »

In 13 years, I've only disliked one teacher, and I dropped her class.  Otherwise I've had excellent teachers all the way through.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 11:18:04 PM »

AP US History:  Nice lady, with strong (and stupid) political views that seep into the class and make me want to bash my head against my desk.

British Literature:   that.  She can go to hell with her class.

Physics: Smart guy, but he shouldn't teach high school.  Waaay to ADD to get a class of idiots to pass.

Web Design: Awesome class, I love my teacher (even though her knowledge is...depressingly limited whe it comes to computers).

Math: meh

Spanish:  I have grown to like the teacher.  I don't like the class, but the language intrigues me and I want to keep learning it after the class ends.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 11:40:22 PM »

I have five classes, but only three teachers. All three are great people.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 12:27:46 AM »

And what opinions should the professors here report? Wink
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 04:02:45 AM »

I want The Professor to post opinions of his students. And pics.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 06:28:44 AM »

To a man (and yes even the ladies), Professors/Educators/Teachers are poor, desperate toilers trapped in a terrible system of exploitation and stress.  They are to be pitied, not censured, for any personal peccadilos which result from their torturous existences.

That said, the simple rule of tolerability of profs is thus:

Male >>>>>>>> female  (by that I mean much, much, much better)
Among males, older >>> younger
Among females, younger > older
Finally avoid gays

For whatever reason, men, as I think everyone knows, have a natural wellspring of kindness and sympathy far greater than that of women, which serves the student well.  They also are less prone than women to spite, bitterness, and particularly vindictiveness.  All of these negative traits in the female are even greater in the gayman.

Among men, the elderly professor is an absolute gem - he usually doesn't care what you do, and sees through academia for what is is: an absurd and horrible farce.  He often times attained his position of relative security back in the days when it was much, much easier and less hypercompetitive. The younger ones are still ambitious and off course even more oppressed.

Among women, the older ones are nearly all bitter and vindictive, while the younger ones are somewhat less so.  Avoid lesbians at all costs, at any age.  Finally with the gaymen only the older ones can be tolerated, the young ones should be avoided even if it means graduating late.

Feel free to print out these advices and carry them with you to the registration-hall (but be warned, most registrars offices do not publish the age/gender/sexualia of the profs in the course listings - you'll need to do a little research).

MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 08:45:06 AM »

Registration hall?

There is still places where you don't register to your courses online?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 08:46:22 AM »

ESP2992A - Español intermedio II: 29-year old student-teacher of sorts who is kinda attractive in a nerdy way but is one of those awful strict and anal young teachers who never says something amusing.
ECO1302A - Contemporary Macroeconomic Issues: an old guy who is kinda weird and his teaching skills aren't 100%, but he's good and interesting.
POL3174A - Federalism: Interesting, intelligent, clear and fairly easy guy who knows his sh**t and has similar research interests to mine
POL2156C - Research Methods in Political Science: the course would be boring as sh**t, but the prof is a nice, funny and engaging person who makes the course interesting by making random jokes. She has a funny voice which adds to her personality rather than makes her annoying to listen to.
POL2108C - Modern Political Thought I: really old guy who seems tired of teaching, doesn't know how to use computers so he just lectures to us off the cuff until he's tired (usually an hour in) and can make weird jokes once in a while. Kind of anal not to give us essay topics until a week before its due...

Last semester:

ESP2991 - Spanish Intermediate I: really nice and funny Mexican prof who wanted you to do really well and thought the topic in a clear and interesting way.
POL2107 - Introduction to Political and Social Thought: weird philosophy prof-like guy (long beard, old glasses, weird attitude) who was good at what he did and fairly clear in his instructions. Still a boring class.
POL3148 - North American Relations: Interesting, intelligent and nice guy but he lectured off the cuff and didn't really follow the syllabus or anything and lectured on what he wanted. So it was tough to take notes or know what was expected.
POL3172 - Political Participation and Mobilization in Canada: Interesting, intelligent, helpful and nice prof, a bit tough on grading, but generally an interesting class and the good prof to teach it.
PAP2300 - Principles of Public Administration: Weird black guy from Ghana who made funny jokes and talked about the randomest sh**t, taught the class fairly well, gave out clear instructions. But read out important notes to us and made us copy them down word for word, and the final exam was overly long. At the same time, on a one-on-one basis, he was hardly approachable and gave the impression that he didn't want to talk to you outside of class at all.

In the second semester of first year, I had a prof (Politics and Globalization) who was a boring, mediocre and extremely anal idiot who marked super tough and lectured us on "email etiquette" or on how we needed to respect him, but he didn't respect us. Almost made me lose my scholarship.

In high school, my grade 12 law teacher was an extremely funny, but also extremely boring (he admitted that himself) guy who was really well read and who liked me a lot. My grade 11 history teacher was boring but was helpful, nice and intelligent and also liked me a lot. My grade 10 history teacher was funny, engaging, stimulating, helpful and nice. My grade 12 bio teacher was a bitch who was evil and hated males. And couldn't pronounce my name despite being Francophone lol. My grade 12 history teacher was pretty nice but was a really tough marker, but I had the last laugh when she underestimated me by some 10% on my final exam. Haha. My grade 10 physed teacher apparently insinuated to my friend that I was retarded.

In Riyadh, teachers were usually horrible. My grade 9 gym teacher was a redneck from Oklahoma who yelled at us in Cherokee but was really chill. My grade 9 English teacher, ironically the father of my gf in grade 8, was a useless idiot who couldn't teach and I ended up complaining to the Principal about him (luckily, the Principal hated him to) and made me the school hero. My grade 8 history teacher was funny, nice and well-read and liked me. My grade 9 math teacher was a bad teacher who also had no control over the class and just kept on teaching while the kids were fooling around behind him. Sometimes he turned around and said "Mr. Mock why?HuhHuhHuh" which meant that he would dock us "participation points", which he did a lot and often gave people negative participation marks. Once some guy used an aerosol can and a lighter to create a flame while he was teaching.
republicanism
Germany

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 08:51:49 AM »

My days of school and university are over, but, as probably everyone, I had teachers and profs that rank from excellent to "it's a shame a guy like you is allowed to teach".
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 04:46:20 PM »

Well, my teachers are usually good, but there is some slight problems caused by the structure of the system. The university search professors to do research firstly. So, sometimes, they are very good researchers, but their teaching skills are low.

Fall 2011:
Inorganic Chemistry II(d block and organometallics): Two teachers. The first wasn't very interesting and was sometimes confusing, but it was usually clear. The second was more interesting, but was going very slowly until the last week, where he noticed he had to rush all things we didn't saw yet in two hours.

Physical Chemistry III (quantum chemistry): A quite sympathetic person, but the course is dreadful. Heavy maths and physics, with the teacher badly explaining theory. Is a great renowned scientist known in his area, but bad teaching skills, really.

Biological Chemistry: Two teachers. The first one was using slides where slides were missing, to force us to attend. She loved asking about details or things only written in the book, which nobody read. The other one was some Chinese guy loving calculations and talking all the time about units and conversions, even if it wasn't the subject of the course.

Analysis Principles Laboratory: Two teachers. The first one was quite clear and sympathetic to us saying us it was an easy and not complicated course, but asked very complicated questions in the exam, about things we didn't even saw. The other, was an American, making all kinds of strange metaphors and jokes, while being consuing at times.

Organic Chemistry Laboratory: An hell. A very distant woman, which seemed annoyed to teach to us. Her exams were very very hard (even the lecturer, a Ph.D. student said he had difficulties to find some answers by himself) and the labs were way too long for the scheduled period. It was supposed to finish at 5:30PM at maximum, but it often finished past 6:30PM.

Now:
Analytical Chemistry II: Two teachers. One is very clear and doing many things to help us, but his handwriting is hard to read. Still, one of the best teachers I had. The other is less good. Quite boring, always talking and the same tone and if someone ask him a question, he reexplains all the course, which is long.

Organic Chemistry III: He is very, very organised and doesn't seem to like disturbance from that. He send us an email about organisation of course, which was too detailed, like "I'll put that on the Internet in a month, on that day at that hour". But he is quite clear.

Physical Chemistry IV: Very interesting, quite funny. It is very apparent than he loves teaching and masters the theory of his courses. His examples are always quite good.

Macromolecular Chemistry: an introduction: Good teacher, but her course is badly structured. We jump from a subject to another one, then return the the first one later and like that. She is mostly rewording the printed notes and doesn't seem to like questions which aren't going in the direction she wants.

Inorganic Chemistry Laboratory. One teacher is the first teacher of Inorganic Chemistry II. The other seems quite confused, but he didn't gave that course since a while.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 06:41:29 PM »

Registration hall?

There is still places where you don't register to your courses online?

No, I guess there aren't, but I forgot about that.  I registered that way back in university..
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies