UK General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 09:14:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 ... 93
Author Topic: UK General Discussion  (Read 266187 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1450 on: July 15, 2013, 06:25:46 PM »

The reality is that they're all pretty terrible.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1451 on: July 15, 2013, 06:32:51 PM »

Just to annoy everyone with that age-old cliche:

The only poll that's accurate is the election.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1452 on: July 16, 2013, 08:43:44 AM »

The Tories appear to be gunning for a resignation from Burnham over this care report.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1453 on: July 17, 2013, 07:58:42 AM »

Just to annoy everyone with that age-old cliche:

The only poll that's accurate is the election.
Even that one has a pretty splodgy track record.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1454 on: July 17, 2013, 10:32:50 AM »

And our old friend Ipsos-MORI weighs in...

Labour 40, Con 29, UKIP 12, LDem 10

---

I'm not particularly optimistic wrt the election, to be honest. We'll hold basically (perhaps literally?) everything we currently have and will make gains elsewhere, but I don't know whether it'll be enough. That some gains will be by decent margins (almost certainly) is actually a worry.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1455 on: July 17, 2013, 10:42:26 AM »

Because Labour need to win a majority to be sure of forming a government. There will be a certain number of minor party MPs Labour could presumably rely-ish on for one reason or another at least for confidence votes (Plaid, the SDLP - if they have any seats left, that is, Lucas/Galloway/etc), but after that you have the unreliable DUP and SNP. The DUP at least are easy to bribe, but like most congenitally corrupt parties are greedy. The current LibDem leadership will have to be ousted for any kind of deal with Labour that lasts more than five seconds.

And Labour have done well to very well in most constituencies that currently have Labour MPs. This is good news, given how badly we did in 2010. There are also quite a few constituencies that do not have Labour MPs where Labour have done rather well. This is also good news. But there are a lot of seats that we sort of have to win where recovery has clearly started, but...

Of course this might just be an expression of pessimism.
Earthling
Netherlands

« Reply #1456 on: July 17, 2013, 12:05:17 PM »

What are the chances of Clegg actually surviving after the next election? The party keep this government going because they hope any recovery will bring them seats in 2015, but looking at the polls, things look very bleak for them. If the Lib Dems lose badly, Clegg, Cable, Alexander and the others are finished, right?
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1457 on: July 17, 2013, 06:03:44 PM »

If Ed Balls has anything to do with it, in a hung parliament situation, the heads of the key Orange Bookers will be demanded. Eye for an eye over the last lot of negotiations and their demands for Brown's resignation.

The Liberals won't be in the best position when negotiating with Labour or the Tories, considering what their election result will presumably look like. The big two will have the upper hand and bankbenchers on in both of the big two will be unsympathetic.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1458 on: July 17, 2013, 06:12:24 PM »

And Labour have done well to very well in most constituencies that currently have Labour MPs. This is good news, given how badly we did in 2010. There are also quite a few constituencies that do not have Labour MPs where Labour have done rather well. This is also good news. But there are a lot of seats that we sort of have to win where recovery has clearly started, but...

And on the other side of the coin, there are a seats that the Tories must win, but since 2010 they've done nothing but fall back.

I'm thinking of the likes of Wirral South and Edgebaston. Can you see the Tories winning Corby back or holding on in places like Warrington and Stockton?

Because of the level of collapse for the LibDems, the election will be a massive realignment in sections of the country, no matter who wins over all. Without the signs of an obvious landslide coming for either side, this renders the conventional wisdoms pretty pointless.
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -1.04

« Reply #1459 on: July 17, 2013, 09:13:13 PM »
« Edited: July 17, 2013, 09:17:19 PM by ObserverIE »

There will be a certain number of minor party MPs Labour could presumably rely-ish on for one reason or another at least for confidence votes (Plaid, the SDLP - if they have any seats left, that is

The three SDLP seats all look secure enough; Belfast South would have been a lost cause under the abortive boundaries, but on the existing boundaries, continuing demographic drift there is going to push it away from Unionism. The only probable change next time round is the DUP regaining Belfast East from Alliance. Belfast North and Fermanagh South Tyrone are more distant possibilities for change, again due to demographic drift.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1460 on: July 18, 2013, 08:32:27 AM »

David Ward, Lib Dem MP for Bradford East, has the whip removed after controversial comments about Israel.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1461 on: July 18, 2013, 12:43:41 PM »

David Ward, Lib Dem MP for Bradford East, has the whip removed after controversial comments about Israel.

It's just a temporary suspension, presumably effectively a "final warning".
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1462 on: July 18, 2013, 03:58:24 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/07/18/nhs-bain-capital_n_3616118.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

Erm...
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #1463 on: July 18, 2013, 04:23:41 PM »

Because Labour need to win a majority to be sure of forming a government. There will be a certain number of minor party MPs Labour could presumably rely-ish on for one reason or another at least for confidence votes (Plaid, the SDLP - if they have any seats left, that is, Lucas/Galloway/etc), but after that you have the unreliable DUP and SNP. The DUP at least are easy to bribe, but like most congenitally corrupt parties are greedy. The current LibDem leadership will have to be ousted for any kind of deal with Labour that lasts more than five seconds.

What would be very curious is if Labour won say a small majority or formed a coalition government in 2015 after Scotland voted in favour of independence the year before (unlikely of course) Such a result in Scotland would no doubt cause a constitutional crisis anyway (as Westminster are not taking the vote as seriously as perhaps it should) and could conceivably force a general election. If it did occur, then independence is scheduled for 2016. Would seats in Scotland even be contested? I suspect that strategically the Tories wouldn't (as they would only loose 1 seat anyway). It's all wonderful wishful thinking of course.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1464 on: July 18, 2013, 06:38:46 PM »

What would be very curious is if Labour won say a small majority or formed a coalition government in 2015 after Scotland voted in favour of independence the year before (unlikely of course) Such a result in Scotland would no doubt cause a constitutional crisis anyway (as Westminster are not taking the vote as seriously as perhaps it should) and could conceivably force a general election. If it did occur, then independence is scheduled for 2016. Would seats in Scotland even be contested? I suspect that strategically the Tories wouldn't (as they would only loose 1 seat anyway). It's all wonderful wishful thinking of course.

If Labour are relying on their 40-odd seats in Scotland to get to Number 10 (alone or with the Libs), the Tories have probably got the upper hand in forming a government anyway, surely.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1465 on: July 18, 2013, 08:21:13 PM »
« Edited: July 18, 2013, 08:33:41 PM by Leftbehind »

Well I can't see myself ever donating blood again. Another widely unpopular, borderline-criminal sell-off that you wouldn't bet on being reversed. You've got to stop and admire the ruthless efficiency of Tory governments at delivering their ideology (neoliberalism), whereas contemporary Labour governments just feel like caretakers, fiddling around the edges but one-by-one accepting all the stuff they inherited with little question. You can see it already in the ruddlerless and passionless opposition. I still think Labour will win the next general election, but the Tories have already won in any meaningful sense.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1466 on: July 19, 2013, 11:58:52 AM »

In other news, three Tory councillors in Havering (my home borough) have defected to UKIP, quadrupling their representation on the council.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1467 on: July 19, 2013, 07:10:14 PM »

In other news, three Tory councillors in Havering (my home borough) have defected to UKIP, quadrupling their representation on the council.

The grammar nazi in me wants to know how those councilors quadrupled their votes, even tho I realize that you meant the UKIP quadrupled its representation on the council.  (Yes, I am aware that some English dialects use plural pronouns for groups, but even in that case, your pronoun choice is merely ambiguous instead of wrong.)
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1468 on: July 20, 2013, 03:58:34 AM »

The grammar nazi in me wants to know how those councilors quadrupled their votes, even tho I realize that you meant the UKIP quadrupled its representation on the council.  (Yes, I am aware that some English dialects use plural pronouns for groups, but even in that case, your pronoun choice is merely ambiguous instead of wrong.)

I think what he wrote is normal in British English.

Anyway, my image of Havering is of a rather UKIP-friendly sort of place, but of course the London election cycle means they haven't had a chance to establish themselves there in a full council election since they started polling well nationally.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1469 on: July 20, 2013, 06:08:27 AM »

Anyway, my image of Havering is of a rather UKIP-friendly sort of place, but of course the London election cycle means they haven't had a chance to establish themselves there in a full council election since they started polling well nationally.

That's definitely true - the only elected UKIP councillor in London is from Havering and Andrew Rosindell represents Romford.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #1470 on: July 20, 2013, 06:38:42 AM »

It's incredibly uncommon to say the UKIP. Just saying.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1471 on: July 20, 2013, 08:04:50 AM »

Well I'd hate to say a UKIP as that would imply there were other UKIPs.  One is enough.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1472 on: July 20, 2013, 03:23:41 PM »

Well I'd hate to say a UKIP as that would imply there were other UKIPs.  One is enough.

It's usually UKIP, without a or the.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1473 on: July 20, 2013, 06:09:35 PM »

It's usually UKIP, without a or the.

I gathered that.  British English tends to drop the's in places American English would use them, most famously before the word hospital.  Still does what sounds strange to my ears also apply to other political parties in British Engish when their name is used as a noun and not as an adjective such as in "Loony Party candidate"?
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #1474 on: July 20, 2013, 06:50:55 PM »

Using the pronoun "they" for political parties or other organizations is very common and perfectly legitimate in American English.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 ... 93  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies