Could the Establishment support Santorum? (or why a late entry will fail)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:07:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Could the Establishment support Santorum? (or why a late entry will fail)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Could the Establishment support Santorum? (or why a late entry will fail)  (Read 1849 times)
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 24, 2012, 09:59:14 AM »

There's been a lot of talk about the establishmnet recrruiting a late entry candidate like Daniels.  I can see the appeal of this option, so much so that I feel that if they could pull it off, the GOP would have a very good chance against Obama in November.

The problem with such an effort is the same that befell Rick Perry.  Perry, I remember, was viewed as the perfect alternative to Romney.  A governor with a record of job creation, a conservative who could appeal to the base, a candidate that could appeal to the establishment, he had a good fundraising base, etc.

Perry leapt into the lead of the polls immediately upon entering.  His downfall was that he wasn't prepared for the sudden onslaught of the 24 hour news cycle and being the prime target for every other candidate in debates.

Someone like Daniels would have exactly the same problem as Perry.  They simply aren't ready for constant TV coverage and they'll immediately be under attack from all sides by the other candidates.  They'll follow the same pattern as the flavor's of the month, meteoric rise followed by a prompt, disasterous (and hilarious) collapse.   If the establishment were to draft someone, it would have to be someone who does rounds with the media regularly, Huckabee perhaps?

Either way, I don't think they will have any luck of finding someone who will run if they haven't been able to already.  They've tried to get Christie, Daniels, Huckabee, etc. to run, all have declined already when they had a much clearer path to victory, why would they change their minds now?

Still, the establishment is frightened of Gingrich, and Romney is looking weaker and weaker in the general election, what could they do?  Paul is right out for obvious reasons (even though he'd probably do best in the general election), the only other option is Santorum. 

I honestly think that Santorum would do better than either Romney or Gingrich in the general.  Yeah, he is completely out of touch on social issues, but he can actually connect to people, he hasn't had multiple affairs, and he seems genuine. Sure, his name is a joke, but his entire campaign isn't. (okay, it is, but not as much as Romney's and Gingrich's)

I'm not saying Santorum could win, but I don't think he'd collapse and give over a bunch of Senate and House races downballot to the Dems.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 01:07:54 PM »

The GOP establishment would indeed prefer Rick to Newt, although Rick of course would lose to Obama. I know I certainly would, even though I would vote for Obama over Rick for POTUS.  Newt would make for a much more dangerous POTUS, and would bring down more Pubs than Rick. I suspect that is the thinking of the GOP establishment.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 01:15:47 PM »

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 01:23:50 PM »

Wink
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 01:26:08 PM »

Santorum is a better establishment candidate than Romney and a better candidate than the overrated Mitch Daniels. 
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 01:48:53 PM »

Somehow, Frothy doesn't strike me as an Establishment favorite, with his mix of far-right views on abortion and gay marriage, and the fact that he's a bit more economically populist on certain issues than Newton and Willard.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 01:49:07 PM »

doesn't matter what the Establishment could/would support...the GOP electorate doesn't care who the Establishment could/would support.

But the GOP electorate would not support Santorum.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 02:08:39 PM »
« Edited: January 24, 2012, 02:19:37 PM by TheGlobalizer »

Yes.  He'd lose to Obama by a ton, but I suppose he's marginally better than Gingrich.

4 years of anal discharge jokes might be worth it.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 02:18:57 PM »

doesn't matter what the Establishment could/would support...the GOP electorate doesn't care who the Establishment could/would support.

Because he's a Catholic?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 02:23:58 PM »

Because he's a Catholic?

That is likely Jm's reasoning (though he uses Paul Ryan as proof that he doesn't dislike Catholics. Coincidentally, Ryan isn't as vocally Catholic as Santorum).
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 02:53:31 PM »

Because he's a Catholic?

That is likely Jm's reasoning (though he uses Paul Ryan as proof that he doesn't dislike Catholics. Coincidentally, Ryan isn't as vocally Catholic as Santorum).

1) you're, again, blaming others for the failures of your candidate

2) you're ignoring the fact the jmfcsts would love a Catholic at the top (as well as on the bottom) of the ticket to help in PA and OH

3) and, you're ignorning the fact the jmfcsts trust GOP Catholics more than GOP Protestants to follow through on a socially conservative agenda
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 02:55:30 PM »

Jm, you've backed about five candidates now as your first choice and want to talk about the failures of my candidate?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 03:02:53 PM »

Jm, you've backed about five candidates now as your first choice and want to talk about the failures of my candidate?

In fairness to Jmf, he did this under the influence of amyl nitrate.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 03:11:11 PM »
« Edited: January 24, 2012, 03:16:21 PM by consigliere jmfcst »

Unlike you, none of the 2012 candidates were my "first choice", or even my 50th choice.  I've simply been rummaging through the pull-your-candidate junkyard that is the 2012 GOP field, trying to find something that is either good enough to use as a tool, or sharp enough to use as a weapon.  

I've had to settle for a weapon, which I plan to use to kill the owners of the junk yard...sorry I couldn't make use of your discarded santorum.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 03:40:26 PM »

Unlike you, none of the 2012 candidates were my "first choice", or even my 50th choice.  I've simply been rummaging through the pull-your-candidate junkyard that is the 2012 GOP field, trying to find something that is either good enough to use as a tool, or sharp enough to use as a weapon.  

I've had to settle for a weapon, which I plan to use to kill the owners of the junk yard...sorry I couldn't make use of your discarded santorum.
Lol.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 03:43:30 PM »

...none of the 2012 candidates were my "first choice", or even my 50th choice.  I've simply been rummaging through the pull-your-candidate junkyard that is the 2012 GOP field, trying to find something that is either good enough to use as a tool, or sharp enough to use as a weapon. 

I've had to settle for a weapon, which I plan to use to kill the owners of the junk yard...

(couldn't find this scene in English on youtube, so I provided the English translation:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn-JuJVMI6M&t=2m22s

Rambo: [points to Co's necklace] What is this?
Co: It bring me good luck. What bring you luck?
[Rambo holds up his combat knife; Co stares at it in shock and surprise]
Rambo: I guess this.

Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 03:54:27 PM »

In fairness to Jmf, he did this under the influence of amyl nitrate.

Sigged.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies