Did you have to take swimming lessons in school?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:53:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Did you have to take swimming lessons in school?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Huh
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: Did you have to take swimming lessons in school?  (Read 2391 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2012, 12:41:08 AM »

Hahah, no.  Our schools blew money on other stupid things.  And schools are still doing this?  I was under the impression superfluous junk like that was going away?  I know drivers ed has gone the way of the dodo in most places and swimming lessons seems like a much bigger waste of money.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2012, 12:58:27 AM »

Yes
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2012, 01:16:48 AM »

Hahah, no.  Our schools blew money on other stupid things.  And schools are still doing this?  I was under the impression superfluous junk like that was going away?  I know drivers ed has gone the way of the dodo in most places and swimming lessons seems like a much bigger waste of money.
Yeah.. why aren't all schools one room jobs with wood stoves and outhouses and the teachers, all unmarried women, paid a small stipend?  Hope none of the kids drown on their 6 mile walk to school either!

There are much bigger things we waste money on than driver's ed and swimming lessons... like your pointless defense job, perhaps.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2012, 02:07:43 AM »

Yes, I think that was compulsory in Sweden Austria.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2012, 03:05:38 AM »

If the school has a pool, swimming is a much smaller additional effort than driving would be.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2012, 03:30:32 AM »

Yeah.. why aren't all schools one room jobs with wood stoves and outhouses and the teachers, all unmarried women, paid a small stipend?  Hope none of the kids drown on their 6 mile walk to school either!

There are much bigger things we waste money on than driver's ed and swimming lessons... like your pointless defense job, perhaps.
Hey sorry man, didn't mean to poke that open sore.  I was under the impression public schools were having funding issues, I guess I've heard wrong.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2012, 08:53:40 AM »

No. My school in Riyadh didn't have a pool and the only other pools we could have gone to were in compounds, so no. In Ottawa, I never heard of that concept of swimming lessons in physed.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2012, 08:57:17 AM »
« Edited: January 18, 2012, 08:59:36 AM by 33 year old with the intelligence of a brain-damaged chicken »

for 2 weeks every year until 8th grade
Wait, what? Wouldn't they assume, at some point, that you could swim if you participated in the past?

As to the question as posed in the thread title. "I suppose so. I don't know for sure; it's not as if asking if participation was compulsory would have ever occurred to me. Swimming was one sport activity I both liked and was good at, and that was far from par for the course for school sports. Besides, that was back in primary school."

I did take swimming again when we finally could choose our sport in the last three years of high school, in the first of those years. (The others, I played table tennis and then handball.)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2012, 10:03:23 AM »

No, I "taught" myself to swim - in an instant. That occurred after water was put in the new pool my parents built, when I was about 4 years old, and my father was throwing pennies into the pool for my older brother to dive in and collect. That simply could not stand. I just dived in to secure my share. That is a true story. Greed is a very powerful human emotion. Smiley
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2012, 10:19:52 AM »

No, I "taught" myself to swim - in an instant. That occurred after water was put in the new pool my parents built, when I was about 4 years old, and my father was throwing pennies into the pool for my older brother to dive in and collect. That simply could not stand. I just dived in to secure my share. That is a true story. Greed is a very powerful human emotion. Smiley

Bourgeoisie.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2012, 11:18:23 AM »

Back in those days, children were taught calculus in the 6th grade.  Just sayin'...
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2012, 11:26:38 AM »

Many schools around here have swim teams, and it's considered just as much a sport as baseball, or football.  So the fact that we already have a pool in many of our schools, it's more sensible.  Take note though, that the school never used the heaters, and it was always freezing when you went in.  That, and the over chlorinated water was the only downside to swim. 
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2012, 03:26:36 PM »

Back in those days, children were taught calculus in the 6th grade.  Just sayin'...

Any proof?

Also.... calculus is rather pointless to a drowning child.  Just sayin'...
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2012, 06:55:50 PM »

knowing how to swim has a much more positive effect on my daily life than knowing basic algebra...
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2012, 07:09:35 PM »

knowing how to swim has a much more positive effect on my daily life than knowing basic algebra...

I never fully mastered either. My school thought rugby was a more fitting sport.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2012, 08:16:13 PM »

for 2 weeks every year until 8th grade
Wait, what? Wouldn't they assume, at some point, that you could swim if you participated in the past?

As to the question as posed in the thread title. "I suppose so. I don't know for sure; it's not as if asking if participation was compulsory would have ever occurred to me. Swimming was one sport activity I both liked and was good at, and that was far from par for the course for school sports. Besides, that was back in primary school."

I did take swimming again when we finally could choose our sport in the last three years of high school, in the first of those years. (The others, I played table tennis and then handball.)
It was
1)  Part of Phy Ed  (Essentially a swimming unit)
2)  Actually learning to swim was for the young grades
3)  The older grades learned various strokes/lifesaving techniques and even played water polo.

Schools here promote choice.  You can take curling or aquatic sports or tennis and golf or a "shape up" course or weight training... just as you can take world languages, business courses, industrial tech (auto-shop/woods/welding/etc)...

Unfortunately it also creates opportunities for slacking off.  But if Jimmy wants to work construction, he can learn to do it through the construction tech courses and help build homes for Habitat for Humanity.  What point is there in making him take calculus if he has no desire to do so and would never use that knowledge anyway?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2012, 08:27:58 PM »

I did not.  I've been swimming since I was in kindergarten.  My parents saw to that, but there were never any formal lessons.  They just threw me in the deep end and I started swimming.

We have enrolled my son in formal lessons, since before he started kindergarten.  I sort of wanted him to get the graceful style down early on.  He has passed American Red Cross levels 1, 2, and 3.  I don't think we'll continue to level 4.  I'm satisfied with his mastery now, and have even had him out in the open sea snorkeling with me when he was only six.

None of us were ever required to have swimming lessons in our public schools, as far as I know.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2012, 09:00:05 PM »

had to pass a swim test in undergrad
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2012, 10:51:15 AM »

I never fully mastered either. My school thought rugby was a more fitting sport.
...and that is why you are a Conservative! j/k
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2012, 11:38:27 AM »

You will have difficultly valuing income real estate in CA then, which requires use of algebraic simultaneous equations, because as the purchase price goes up, so does the 1% property tax, thereby reducing the net income, thereby reducing its value. In other words, there are two linked moving targets, so you need to use one of those equations that has  x's and y's in it. See, sometimes this esoterica is useful in real life, outside nerdville. Who knew?  Smiley
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2012, 11:53:52 AM »

How often do I buy a house in California, though? I go swimming maybe 30 times a year.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2012, 03:27:45 PM »

It wasn't required in high school, but I did in elementary school. I was terrified of the diving board and to this date have yet to dive off one. Honestly I'm even a little scared of a full immersion baptism to get my view toward water.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies