Affirmitive Action for Conservatives
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:57:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Affirmitive Action for Conservatives
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should Conservatives get Affirmitive Action in "liberal" Universities?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Affirmitive Action for Conservatives  (Read 2009 times)
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 02, 2005, 05:48:59 PM »

I vote no
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2005, 06:28:28 PM »

Why?  Would you support it for racial minorities?
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2005, 06:30:17 PM »

No, race-based affirmitive action hurts poor whites.

I support a socio-economic affirmitive action.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2005, 06:37:04 PM »

No, and I also oppose socio-economic affirmative action, and think people who support it should be deported.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2005, 06:40:49 PM »

No, and I also oppose socio-economic affirmative action, and think people who support it should be deported.

It would be sort of hard to deport me, considering that I have no other citizenships.

What is your reason for being against it?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2005, 07:05:26 PM »

Socio-economic based affirmative action is just plain pointless.

Outside of the extremely rare case where the person not hired (in favor of the poorer individual) actually has enough money to keep going for a long while, you just end up making the person not hired unemployed and the less qualified person employed. Sure you make one person not poor, but you end up having another take his place!
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2005, 07:40:29 PM »

I oppose any and all forms of Affirmitive Action.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2005, 08:20:12 PM »

It's really just a decision based on what benefits the entity at hand.  The government shouldn't be in charge unless it's a governmental institution of course.

Someone who grew up poor and got a 4.2 may excel better in a university environment  than some rich kid who got a 4.5.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And you wonder why I respond offensively to your posts?
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2005, 01:51:08 AM »

It's really just a decision based on what benefits the entity at hand. The government shouldn't be in charge unless it's a governmental institution of course.

Someone who grew up poor and got a 4.2 may excel better in a university environment than some rich kid who got a 4.5.

Good points.

The child who came from the poorer background may actually be smarter and/or harder working, but this may not be reflected in their academic performance due to the fact that they had a more difficult time in school and in life due to their lower socioeconomic status.

For example, if your parents are too poor to give you adequate amounts of food as a child, or if you are being beaten and abused by a parent (which is clearly disproportionately more likely to happen in a poor family than in a wealthy family) it's going to hurt your academic performance. It doesn't mean that you are a worse student, however. So I feel that socioeconomic affirmative action is necessary as an admission of the clear fact that GPA and test scores, and the prestige of the school that the student attended, are biased in favor of those who come from wealthy families, and that it doesn't necessarily mean that they will make the best employees.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2005, 02:03:21 AM »

It's really just a decision based on what benefits the entity at hand. The government shouldn't be in charge unless it's a governmental institution of course.

Someone who grew up poor and got a 4.2 may excel better in a university environment than some rich kid who got a 4.5.

Good points.

The child who came from the poorer background may actually be smarter and/or harder working, but this may not be reflected in their academic performance due to the fact that they had a more difficult time in school and in life due to their lower socioeconomic status.

For example, if your parents are too poor to give you adequate amounts of food as a child, or if you are being beaten and abused by a parent (which is clearly disproportionately more likely to happen in a poor family than in a wealthy family) it's going to hurt your academic performance. It doesn't mean that you are a worse student, however. So I feel that socioeconomic affirmative action is necessary as an admission of the clear fact that GPA and test scores, and the prestige of the school that the student attended, are biased in favor of those who come from wealthy families, and that it doesn't necessarily mean that they will make the best employees.

I agree with that in part.  However, from experience, if you're academically deficient going into college, surviving there is going to be difficult regardless.  Hey, I have a 142 IQ, but my first year at Lehigh was a disaster because I had no AP credits and some of my peers goign there went to high end New England preps and whooped my ass with 30+ AP credits and were more prepared.  The difference between what I was competing with in HS was drasticalyl different from college.  I honestly don't know what to make of AA.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2005, 07:02:07 AM »

The rich ones already do!
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2005, 11:59:34 AM »

isnt it called legacy admissions?

the truth is, most young conservatives, excluding the bible thumping piuritanism-pushers, generally come from a fortunate and pampered background.  why do we need to give them any extra help?
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2005, 08:31:35 PM »
« Edited: January 03, 2005, 09:10:27 PM by Erc »

How on earth would admissions people tell that you're a liberal or conservative?

I mean, unless you're silly enough to put it on your essay--or you were very involved in, say, the Young Republicans in High School (in which case I can sympathize).

And in response to WalterMitty's comment...I've found that most children from a fortunate and pampered background tend to be liberal -- more so than the general population, certainly, and perhaps more so than the general youth population.  [Of course, I'm from the NY suburbs and am currently attending a "liberal University" in which the Blue State-Red State Ratio is 82-18, so take what I said with a grain of salt]

EDIT:  To even further undermine my own point, here's a map, operating under the false assumption that each state would still vote the same way, but with EV counts based on the population of that state at the college.  Kerry wins 392-144.

Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2005, 02:52:45 AM »

How on earth would admissions people tell that you're a liberal or conservative?

I mean, unless you're silly enough to put it on your essay--or you were very involved in, say, the Young Republicans in High School (in which case I can sympathize).

And in response to WalterMitty's comment...I've found that most children from a fortunate and pampered background tend to be liberal -- more so than the general population, certainly, and perhaps more so than the general youth population.  [Of course, I'm from the NY suburbs and am currently attending a "liberal University" in which the Blue State-Red State Ratio is 82-18, so take what I said with a grain of salt]

EDIT:  To even further undermine my own point, here's a map, operating under the false assumption that each state would still vote the same way, but with EV counts based on the population of that state at the college.  Kerry wins 392-144.

My university was very liberal also (graduated in  May) I have no problem with my old school being a liberal  University:) (Stony Brook) Saw that the on campus voting was something like 2300 for Kerry 450 for Bush
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2005, 03:40:03 AM »

My university was very liberal also (graduated in  May) I have no problem with my old school being a liberal  University:) (Stony Brook) Saw that the on campus voting was something like 2300 for Kerry 450 for Bush
Whoa.
What'd you think of them tearing down the bridge?
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2005, 08:10:43 AM »

talk about educated liberals Tongue

(not that people who don't go to university are not educated...well, sorta, you know what i mean)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies