How much do you swear?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 09:42:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  How much do you swear?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: How much do you swear?
f***, I f***ing swear all the f***ing time!

Well, I can f***ing swear here and there

When I get mad the s*** can fly

Every once in a while the 'damn' breaks

Gosh! golly! I'd never curse!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 60

Author Topic: How much do you swear?  (Read 5498 times)
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 11, 2012, 05:33:23 PM »

Middle option for me.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 05:41:02 PM »

Almost never.  Swearing was once my birthday present to a friend at college.  I do allow myself to swear when quoting others or reading badfic out loud, but otherwise, Option 5.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 05:42:30 PM »

Option 4. Not that I consider it immoral or anything, it's just a very poor and unappealing way of expression.
I'm JewCon in name only.
Klecly
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 6.52

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 05:43:47 PM »

When I get mad the s*** can fly
They not like us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 05:45:40 PM »

I probably say the f word 100+ times a day.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 05:50:39 PM »

Almost never. Occasionally when I get ticked (Wink) off I'll say damn, but even then it's mostly when I'm by myself. I feel uncomfortable when others cuss around me, so I just assume others would feel the same if I cussed around them.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 05:53:42 PM »

Middle one, douchebag
Reginald
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 06:32:40 PM »

Option 4. It's a different story when I'm driving, however. Grin

I very rarely swear in the presence of others. Probably only ten times in my life. That being said, I don't have any problem at all with people who swear regularly. It can be quite effective, depending on the situation. I do get annoyed with those who insert a swear or two into every sentence just for the sake of swearing. Such desperate and obvious attempts to look "badass" warrant a Roll Eyes from me.

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 07:07:04 PM »

Very rare and only under extreme circumstances like an accident or near miss.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 07:12:02 PM »

WOW... I would have thought you would cuss like a sailor!
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 07:18:48 PM »

That and being angry at Mitt Romney. I don't think I've ever sworn in mixed company without being prompted to do so. However I did say "damn" to my brother a few months ago.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 07:26:21 PM »

Pretty close to never. The best way to get me to swear is by getting me to quote something verbatim that contains a cuss word. I accidently said the s*** word in October when I got tongue-tied. I do say a few words that some may consider swearing, but I was not raised to see as swear words. I was taught not to say the b-word, f-word, or s-word, as well as the a-word, and d-word unless used in the context of a donkey or describing someone going to hell, or using the Lord's name in vain. I've since defacto added the c-word to my list of ones not to say since I think it ought to be there.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 07:41:31 PM »

I use the word "f**k" way too often, but aside from that I don't curse very much. Creatively cursing is more enjoyable than just throwing it into normal conversation constantly.

I never really think about it, though. Cursing a lot is only irritating to me when it seems like people are deliberately doing it a lot. Which I do hate.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 08:06:30 PM »

Option 2. I know it's not nice and all, but I find it relieving and relaxing when I'm stressed or boiling angry.

I don't often swear in English, but I usually prefer 'sh**t' or go for gold when I'm very angry. But overall I prefer 'Jesus Christ' as a general expression of surprise, shock, mild annoyance or mild anger.

In French, my favourite is 'Christophe Colomb' which literally means Christopher Columbus and is something my grandma used to say instead of going for Quebecois 'crisse' which was reserved for major anger. I also like 'putain', which is from France. My other favourite is a unique hybrid, showcasing my ethnic backgrounds: putain de Christophe de tabarnac.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 09:22:27 PM »

Frequently.  I find it an extremely effective way to communicate, and especially to get students' attention.  But one has to be careful, as there are certain phrases which the administration deems absolutely unacceptable.  Those I practice when I'm not around students.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012, 09:28:58 PM »

That and being angry at Mitt Romney. I don't think I've ever sworn in mixed company without being prompted to do so. However I did say "damn" to my brother a few months ago.

Oh you badass, you.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 09:38:24 PM »

Option 1 and most my office curses even more than I do.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2012, 09:44:05 PM »

I almost never swear around anyone except occassionally around my sister, who swears up a storm. It occassionally happens if I hurt myself or am really tired/comatose from lack of food. I admit I swear a lot more when I'm just talking to myself though.

Also, I have some swear words I'm ok with and some I'm not. I really don't like the sexist-related words; I almost never (as in once every couple years maybe) say b***h, and I absolutely abhor the c-word and would never say it under any circumstance except possibly quoting something, and even then I might not. I don't have as much problem with the f-word or many of its derivatives, although I don't care for adding mother prefixally.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012, 09:51:24 PM »
« Edited: January 11, 2012, 09:54:36 PM by angus »

Oh you badass, you.

Damn is one I don't use much all by itself, though I would assume it can be used to some effect.  When I do use damn I always put capital-G God in front of it, so it's artsy.  I use all the normal ones regularly.  I also said "c**nt" in a faculty meeting once and there was an awkward silence and some disapproving stares, so I have decided to put that one on the Never Again list.  I used the word "asshole" in a freshman-level class once, and also got some silent awkwardness and some eyes-wide stare, so I put that one on the Never Again list as well.

Bitch I use regularly.  And maybe too frequently, as I seem to sense a sensitivity among some folks that I just can't appreciate. 

The F word is generally used sparingly, but occasionally, either in meetings or with select students, but I wouldn't utter it in front of my Dean, or in a lecture hall with 100 students.  

I will say that I don't usually cuss in anger.  I try to control that, although I don't have 100% control.  I do cuss regularly, but when I cuss, it's for dramatic and linguistic effect, not out of anger.

Shit, shat, will shit, was shitting, has shit, would shit, should shit, could shit, and might shit all are used frequently.  It sounds so much more colorful when you're speaking a Romance language such as Spanish, by the way, since they have all these endings to indicate conjugations, cases, and moods, and therefore it isn't just put some auxiliary verb in front of shit, as it is in English.  It's really much more interesting to curse in those languages.

And of course in non-IndoEuropean languages cursing is even more expressive.  You get to say things like "May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits!"  That's just beautiful, man.  Of course, I imagine that in the parts of the world where you'd say that and it'd really be understood, you'd stand a good chance of being killed for saying it, or at leasing having your tongue removed with a knife, so, once again, one must exercise prudence.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2012, 10:13:31 PM »

I never swear in public, but when it's just me and my cat, and I'm angry, my cat has to run and hide and cover his ears.  I'm trying to turn d***it into more doggonit's.  When I'm in public I use words that my paternal grandmother would use, if she were alive, such as "shucks" and "fiddle-sticks".  I also use the phrase "Geminee Christmas" quite a bit.  Whenever I go into a rage at home, usually over trivial stuff, I can make a Navy sailor look holy.  I'm trying to stop that and I always end up being brought to my knees and asking forgiveness from my God for my dirty mouth.

I hate cussing, personally, because with the same mouth I use to sing praises to God or talk about Him, I also talk like the world.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2012, 10:25:51 PM »

Quite a bit, but as I say a lot, the tone of what you say should matter more than what you say.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2012, 11:23:52 PM »

Option 2. It was Option 1 before my whole finding Jesus experience, which is kind of odd since I actually still don't consider it sinful or distasteful. I just get the urge to do so less.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2012, 08:54:15 AM »
« Edited: January 12, 2012, 08:59:17 AM by Better Alive Than Dead »

Option 1 easily.

I say the "f**k" word so many times in any given time of the day I should be in a Martin Scorsese film about organized crime.

Some of you who have had the misfortune of running into me on the chat log know I'm not exaggerating this one bit.

I'm sorry, it's just For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge is such a sexy acronym (unless you're referring to the Van Hagar album, ewww......not really my cup of tea).  If I lived in an oppressive totalitarian state where f-bombs were illegal I would probably be sent to the chopping block even though said oppressive totalitarian state has banned the death penalty for some weird damn reason.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2012, 09:17:59 AM »

I'm sorry, it's just For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge is such a sexy acronym (unless you're referring to the Van Hagar album, ewww......not really my cup of tea).

Etymology fail.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2012, 09:29:41 AM »

F**k this f**king sh!te, I'm not going to f**king answer this bleeding question.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies