Romney's Swing States
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:14:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney's Swing States
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which swing states are most likely to go for Romney?
New Hampshire

Ohio

Indiana

Virginia

North Carolina

Iowa

Nevada

New Mexico

Colorado

Florida

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Romney's Swing States  (Read 2304 times)
Jacobtm

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 11, 2012, 12:44:26 PM »

It's interesting to finally have a North-Eastern Republican going against a Democrat who did pretty well in the South and South-West.

I imagine that Romney could win more votes in the North-East than McCain did, but I don't think it'll amount to much electorally besides New Hampshire. Maine's CDs seem well out of reach.

Alternatively, he'll not do too well in socially conservative areas. Republicans have really shot themselves in the foot by making ''Massachusetts" such a dirty word.

If the election is something like a 50-48 win for Obama, I'd imagine:

Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 12:50:14 PM »

You should have Pennsylvania as an option as well, I think its more likely Pennsylvania will flip than New Mexico.
Jacobtm

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 12:55:44 PM »

You should have Pennsylvania as an option as well, I think its more likely Pennsylvania will flip than New Mexico.

New Mexico has flipped parties in the last 3 Presidential elections. Pennsylvania hasn't gone for a Republican since Bush I.

I know Republicans constantly think they're going to win PA, but it's one of the most solidly Democratic states out there. They like to flirt with Republicans, but it's nothing but a tease.

All states listed as swing states went for both Bush and Obama. I can't imagine a state like PA that went for Gore and Kerry bailing on Obama.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 01:01:14 PM »

Good job with that map putting VA in grey. All roads lead to Richmond.
President von Cat
captain copernicus

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 01:16:31 PM »

Ohio will likely stay obama i will discuss why once the reps have a nominee

lol..

I agree though, that Ohio is likely to stay Obama, but by a very, very small margin.

Simply, Romney's late embrace of Kasich's reforms should do him in there. Especially once the Obama campaign airs ads that describe his support of the unpopular governor, ending with him saying "I like firing people!".
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 02:34:17 PM »

NH, IN, NV, CO, FL

Not sure about NC, VA.  Need more polling/trending info.

I agree with this.  NM isn't going anywhere Republican unless Mitt softens on immigration and actually proposes a reasonable solution.

The_Texas_Libertarian
TXMichael
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 02:35:53 PM »

lol..

I agree though, that Ohio is likely to stay Obama, but by a very, very small margin.

Simply, Romney's late embrace of Kasich's reforms should do him in there. Especially once the Obama campaign airs ads that describe his support of the unpopular governor, ending with him saying "I like firing people!".

Is there video of Romney publicly supporting S.B. 5?  That would be played over and over again
Jacobtm

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 02:57:09 PM »

Crazy that Indiana and NH are seen as the 2 most likely states for Romney to flip back.

Even though that's what I voted, looking at it now it seems like those two are an odd pairing.

Yet NH is odd...
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 03:06:15 PM »

The closest swing states to watch on election night are Ohio, Colorado and Florida. Not sure how Virginia and North Carolina will play out.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 05:34:13 PM »

Please do this as soon as you can. I am certain that most other posters are just as enthralled with anticipation as I am.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 05:39:43 PM »

I say Romney wins IN off the bat... the rest? I'd be somewhat nervous about FL, NC, NH, OH and CO if I were Obama.
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 05:43:52 PM »

IN surely.

FL and NH are strong candidates.

OH, CO and NC (in that order) are possible.

Unfortunately, VA seems now to be a "strong lean" for Dems. In a way, the GOP is better positioned to grasp PA.

(Iowa and NM are lost forever)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 05:52:59 PM »

Indiana will probably flip to Romney, as will New Hampshire. I don't think Obama will spend a huge amount of time in either state.

Florida and North Carolina are next, followed by Ohio and Virginia. Iowa's attainable, but it'll take some work, especially in getting the social conservatives out for him.

Next is Nevada, then Colorado. Romney can hold out hope that a poor economy in Nevada could help him win, but it'll be a battle against the trends there. Same with New Mexico - I could see it getting somewhat close, but Romney won't come with 5% of Obama, at least.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 06:01:56 PM »

I don't think NH is gone for Obama... now the attention is off them and they aren't being harassed by GOP candidates lurking in bushes... the environment should shift a little in NH. I think it'll be a struggle for Obama, but I think giving up on it would be a mistake, unlike IN which was a fluke win in a fantastic year.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 06:19:02 PM »

Indiana is likely out of reach unless job creation accelerates, but I haven't seen solid polling come out of there yet.

I don't think New Hampshire is a lost cause. Obama will have to work for it but it's definitely still within his grasp.

You left Arizona out of the poll. Without McCain on the ticket it could become competitive.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012, 09:45:30 PM »

Romney wins all McCain states plus Indiana, New Hampshire, Florida, North Carolina, Virginia, and Nebraska district.

His swing states are going to be Nevada, Colorado, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Iowa, Wisconsin and Michigan.

I think he should focus on Pennsylvania. He needs Pennsylvania to win the election, because I don’t think he could win Ohio. If he cannot win either, he would need Michigan and one more, or three other states, which is unlikely.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 10:34:12 PM »

I concur. The auto bailout will not be forgotten; the Governor is extremely unpopular; Ohio unions will be registering just about everything that has a pulse -- including the family dogs.

The only state that looks like a definite flip is now New Hampshire, if only because the Republicans have been the Only Game in Town.
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 12:03:01 PM »

I concur. The auto bailout will not be forgotten; the Governor is extremely unpopular; Ohio unions will be registering just about everything that has a pulse -- including the family dogs.

The only state that looks like a definite flip is now New Hampshire, if only because the Republicans have been the Only Game in Town.
Just looking back, the last 2 incumbents won NH and presumably the opponents were the only game in town back then.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies