Romney-Paul Alliance?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:33:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney-Paul Alliance?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Romney-Paul Alliance?  (Read 2111 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 10, 2012, 05:10:22 PM »

I know this may sound ridiculous. They are two completely different candidates.

http://news.yahoo.com/ron-paul-defends-romney-lashes-critics-201905101--abc-news.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Ron Paul has been quick to defend Romney in the past. Additionally, the two almost never attack each other, even in debates. Despite being two of the three leaders in Iowa, they still were very polite with each other. Of course, I know there have been a couple attacks, but for the most part, it hasn't been nearly as bad as it has been with the other candidates.

Thoughts? 
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 05:24:11 PM »

Paul has generally spoken more favorably of Romney than any of the other 'major' candidates. He referred to him as a "decent guy" on Leno a few weeks ago IIRC.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 05:31:16 PM »

It's certainly interesting.  Perhaps the only remaining interesting thing about the primaries.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 05:38:35 PM »

I think I saw someone on here suggest that Rand might be a possible running mate for Romney.

I think it'd make a lot more sense than you'd imagine at first glance. Romney brings some Paulites and other Tea Partiers along without having to pick an inarticulate loon. Rand also still has some outsider cred.

Maybe Ron has that in mind...
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 05:47:37 PM »

I think the reason Paul hasn't attacked Romney is so that Rand can get Mormon support when he runs.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 08:19:49 PM »

He probably hates Romney and Huntsman slightly less than the rest of the field. However, he hasn't been one to use smear attacks, and IIRC he's even defended Obama on certain things. He's a crazy, but at least he's honest.
rob in cal
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 08:33:47 PM »

I wonder if Paul has some hope that Romney, with his business and Massachusetts background perhaps, would be less of an automatically pro-war candidate than the others.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 08:58:10 PM »

It puts me in mind of the non-aggression pact signed by Vyacheslav Molotov and Joachim von Ribbentrop.  A marriage of convenience.  The difference is that the Nazi-Soviet alliance lasted from August 23, 1939 till June 22, 1941, which is much longer than I'd expect any Romney-Paul alliance to last.

Also, Santorum isn't Poland.  Well, he's poor like Poland, and strapped for new ideas.  And a bit old-fashioned.  And laden with ideological baggage.  And he's definitely not a footnote (TM).  So I guess he's sort of like Poland.  But he won't be carved up and taken by the superpowers of Paul and Romney.  He'll fight back, and fight back hard.  If he can scrounge up some money.

Anyway, I'm with Neville Chamberlain on this.  Leave Ron Paul alone.  Let him claim the votes that are rightfully his.  He'll stop advancing once he is satisfied with his share.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 09:06:36 PM »

I wonder if Paul has some hope that Romney, with his business and Massachusetts background perhaps, would be less of an automatically pro-war candidate than the others.

Romney is clearly running to his own right.  The rest are big government conservatives and/or corrupt.
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 09:38:29 PM »

Ron Paul gave an honest opinion on an issue. Most of the other candidates didn't. He won't attack Romney because that isn't fertile ground, and he'd prefer Mitt to the others.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 03:37:16 PM »

Paul's absolutely right here.  So far the attacks on Romney over Bain seem like they'd apply to any large corporation of the same type.  This class warfare, anti-market stuff doesn't go over well with a large number of Republicans and it can backfire easily. Newt's even pretty much admitted this now.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 03:59:29 PM »

I've always wondered why he never attacked him. Unless his strategy is to knock all the conservatives down so he becomes the anti-Romney. I mean coming from that campaign that's not the craziest idea, but why wouldn't you want to try to take votes from Romney too?
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 04:46:54 PM »

I've always wondered why he never attacked him. Unless his strategy is to knock all the conservatives down so he becomes the anti-Romney. I mean coming from that campaign that's not the craziest idea, but why wouldn't you want to try to take votes from Romney too?

Paul may be trying to pull the David tactic of defeating the neocon bear (Santorum, Perry) and the Progressive Lion (Newt) to prove to conservatives that he is the anti-Romney. It's time that old school conservatives get the nod this time. The neocon/moderate alliance had controlled who the nominee would be since Bush 41.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies