First political event you remember
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 01:24:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  First political event you remember
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: First political event you remember  (Read 11391 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2012, 03:35:42 PM »

Hm. First vague one is sitting in front of the tv in the kitchen during the 1994 referendum on EU membership and my mother saying something surprised about how close it actually was. I also in a similar vein remember some comment about the Christian Democrats narrowly staying in parliament in the 1994 election.

First clear memory would probably be the 1998 election in Sweden.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2012, 03:42:10 PM »

My mom was running a bath for me, and there was some hubbub on the news in the other room.  I asked her what it was, and she told me that President Bush had lost an election to a man named Clinton.  I asked her if this was good or bad, and she just shrugged and carried on running the bath.  That shaped a lot of my political outlook right there.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2012, 03:44:24 PM »

The presidential election of 2004 (Bush v. Kerry). I was in 2nd grade, and the class, no matter what the issue at hand was, would automatically self-segregate with boys and girls holding opposing views. Mrs. Eckels (I think it was?) had a project on whether we supported Bush or Kerry, and we were supposed to add why. All the boys supported Kerry and all the girls supported Bush, so naturally, being male, I supported Kerry. I remember coming home and telling my parents about it, and being rather disappointed when they told me they were Bush supporters.

What with my current, more-developed political views, I would certainly have supported Bush.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2012, 04:14:13 PM »
« Edited: January 10, 2012, 04:16:01 PM by Better Alive Than Dead »

The 1996 mock elections in my second grade class.  I remember voting for Perot because I liked his grin or something.

I really envy people who can remember political stuff before age eight.  Only things I distinctly remember at that age were playing Zombies ate my Neighbors! on SNES and going to the theater to watch Batman Forever.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2012, 05:02:29 PM »

My first political memory I can remember was watching the 1996 Simpsons Halloween special when the aliens kidnapped Clinton and Dole, I was 3. I asked my parents who they were and they explained it to me, my dad was/is a major Republican, and my mother is for the most part, but she supported Clinton that year.

I remember 2000 a lot more, especially Election Night and afterwards. My class had a fake election that day, and I believe I might have voted for Gore by accident, I was too young to make the difference. My folks were major Bush supporters and I can remember my dad cursing at the TV when Gore won his states. I got to stay up an little longer than I usually did and watch it on NBC. I also remember my folks cheering after Gore finally conceded.

Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2012, 05:12:33 PM »

The presidential election of 2004 (Bush v. Kerry). I was in 2nd grade, and the class, no matter what the issue at hand was, would automatically self-segregate with boys and girls holding opposing views. Mrs. Eckels (I think it was?) had a project on whether we supported Bush or Kerry, and we were supposed to add why. All the boys supported Kerry and all the girls supported Bush, so naturally, being male, I supported Kerry. I remember coming home and telling my parents about it, and being rather disappointed when they told me they were Bush supporters.

What with my current, more-developed political views, I would certainly have supported Bush.
You are a lot younger than I thought.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2012, 05:20:07 PM »

OK City Bombing. More the relief effort after though.
Scooter

« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2012, 05:24:48 PM »

I was in kindergarten during Bush v. Dukakis and I remember voting for Dukakis in the Weekly Reader vote or whatever it was. 

96 was probably the first election I payed attention to.
Reginald
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2012, 05:51:13 PM »

Drawing devil horns on Al Gore in my copy of the 2000 election edition of Time Magazine for Kids back in second grade.

I was such a little Tea Partier.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2012, 05:59:06 PM »

Real memory: 1995 referendum on legalizing Divorce.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2012, 06:38:19 PM »

OK City Bombing. More the relief effort after though.

Actually now that I think about it it's probably is the OKC bombing.

I was just thinking of mostly electoral related politics or what not.  I don't tend to think of the OKC event as political per se, but I guess an argument could be made.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2012, 06:55:32 PM »

Mary McAleese being elected President in 1997. That was boring.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2012, 07:21:32 PM »

I was watching TV with my father, and The McLaughlin Group was on, and they had a poll on screen showing a fat, youngish man leading an older man, and then said that if a third man with funny ears were to re-enter the race, the fat man would lead the old man by even more.

EDIT:  Just realized that that summary applies to both 1992 and 1996, so I'll clarify and say that was 1992. 
Still Nervous
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2012, 08:22:23 PM »

I was in 1st grade that year Tongue
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2012, 04:57:43 AM »

The resignation of Margaret Thatcher in 1990.

Probably this.

I say probably because I have some very vague recollections of things earlier, but they might be later creations. I also remember being confused about the fact that there was a war about golf, but don't know when this (the confusion) happened. The first really, really, really clear political memory (one that can be recalled as if it were yesterday, rather than through a vague fug) would be the death of John Smith.

My memories are often more pronouced if I can remember my parents being affected by it; such as Thatcher's resignation and John Smith's death. Though for the latter, the big death (to my 10 year old self) that year was Roy Castle off Record Breakers
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2012, 05:27:28 AM »

Election night 1992, going to watch my parents vote. One for Clinton and one for Perot. I remember in 1996 both voting for Clinton.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2012, 02:52:24 PM »

I remember seeing election signs for the 1991 municipal election (specifically for Jacquelin Holzman). I was five. But, the first real event I can remember is the 1993 federal election. That was such a major event in our history. The Grade 6 class even did a mock debate in front of the school. One of the older kids in my "After 4 program" did a straw poll of all the kids. I wanted to vote for Kim Campbell because she was a woman, but I was very disappointed that she wasn't a Liberal (everyone loved the Liberals back then).
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2012, 06:14:06 PM »

When I was six years old, I remember thinking that some banana guy was running for President.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2012, 06:49:33 PM »

2000: I was one out of three kids in my Kindergarten class to "support" Gore.

I remember 2004 very clearly and watched election returns all night. I cried when Kerry lost.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2012, 07:41:01 PM »

You are a lot younger than I thought.

Do I come off as an old? Funny. I'm a high school freshman. When I first registered in 2009, I was an illegal (age 12).

I'm really the opposite of most people in terms of internet and real-life behavior. Most people are quiet in reality and loud online, whereas I'm just the opposite; reasonable and moderate online, but quite bombastic in real life. I had a shouting match with my English teacher over American intervention in Libya several months ago.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2012, 07:43:53 PM »

I was watching TV with my father, and The McLaughlin Group was on, and they had a poll on screen showing a fat, youngish man leading an older man, and then said that if a third man with funny ears were to re-enter the race, the fat man would lead the old man by even more.

EDIT:  Just realized that that summary applies to both 1992 and 1996, so I'll clarify and say that was 1992. 

Question: Is there anything Bush can do to stop Bill Clinton? Eleanor...

BYE BYE
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2012, 07:54:05 PM »

I remember 2004 very clearly and watched election returns all night. I cried when Kerry lost.

How old were you back then?

The only time I came close to crying over election results was in the federal election here in May 2011 for pretty obvious reasons. I was sobbing up.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2012, 08:11:35 PM »

I was in the third grade when I voted for George W. Bush in a 2000 school mock-election. Grin

I have no recollection of Bill Clinton (as president) whatsoever.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2012, 08:33:49 PM »

I recall Clinton as President and remember thinking that it's going to be so odd that now someone ELSE is President.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2012, 01:09:39 AM »

2000: I was one out of three kids in my Kindergarten class to "support" Gore.

You know you're getting old, when...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies