Romney:"I like firing people!"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:44:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney:"I like firing people!"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Romney:"I like firing people!"  (Read 4060 times)
Volrath50
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -5.57

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2012, 04:59:18 PM »

I can already envision an attack ad with this quote, the one about corporations being people, and a few other choice bits (maybe the $10,000 bet), played out of context and over, and over and over.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2012, 05:01:55 PM »
« Edited: January 09, 2012, 05:20:03 PM by Politico »

Romney response ad: "The only person I will ever like firing is Barack Obama."

Why will it be successful? Because 50-60% of the country wants to fire Barack Obama.

Another good Super PAC ad: The 2008 Barack Obama "Hope" painting with "Hope?" below it that eventually morphs into "Nope." Just have a narrator who simply asks "Hope?" and then says, "Nope." I guarantee it will be brutally effective, especially considering the scorched earth campaign Team Obama is apparently intent on running.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2012, 05:05:39 PM »

Wierd how Mitt's actually the most gaffe prone of the field.

Teflon Mitt because he has the looks, the money, and the best people behind his campaign.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2012, 05:06:20 PM »

Decidedly not in Massachusetts, and only now because the rest of the field is so sh**tty.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2012, 05:07:42 PM »

Why will it be successful? Because 50-60% of the country wants to fire Barack Obama.

Another good Super PAC ad: The Barack Obama "Hope" sign with "Hope?" below it that eventually morphs into "Nope." Just have a narrator who simply says, "Hope?" and then, "Nope." I guarantee it will be brutally effective, especially considering the scorched earth campaign Team Obama is apparently intent on running.

Come on Poly, admit it, your man has a foot in his mouth half the time, and a lot more often than our boy.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2012, 05:08:57 PM »

I agree, but it's a segue into a conversation/counterpoint that isn't a major problem for Romney at all.  If he said he likes laying people off, that would be a major gaffe.

I don't think this 'gotcha' stuff sticks around very long anyway.

Now, now! You can't expect out-of-touch liberals to know the difference between firing somebody and laying them off. Bain Capital did almost exclusively the latter outside of management/executive positions. In some cases, they were forced to lay off workers because of managers/executives who failed them and their company. Bain laid off those workers and fired the incompetent managers/executives.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2012, 05:13:05 PM »

I agree, but it's a segue into a conversation/counterpoint that isn't a major problem for Romney at all.  If he said he likes laying people off, that would be a major gaffe.

Now, now! You can't expect out-of-touch liberals to know the difference between firing somebody and laying them off. Bain Capital did almost exclusively the latter outside of management/executive positions. In some cases, they were forced to lay off workers because of managers/executives who failed them and their company. Bain laid off those workers and fired the incompetent managers/executives.

Guys guys, you're the outof touch ones if you think the majority of americans enjoy seeting a rich guy gloat.  Sure, americans are wealth worshipping boot-lickers, but outright gloating rubs even the most downtrodden serf the wrong way.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2012, 05:13:57 PM »

I've never got the glee American conservatives seem to find in firing 'incompetents' (, which they define rather vaguely). I don't think firing anyone should ever be a labor of love.

If somebody is not getting the job done, they need to be fired unless they have a history of performing in the past coupled with just a recent setback of some sort that they will recover from. People are paid to do the job right, not have others do it whether it be their other co-workers or competitors that consumers turn to because of the poor job the aforementioned incompetent did.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2012, 05:16:15 PM »

Of course it can be used.  It can also be rebutted.

Rebutting it with ad hominem attacks won't deflect Romney's business record been scrutinized. He doesn't want to discuss the layoffs.

He discusses layoffs every time it is brought up. To paraphrase, "sometimes businesses succeed and sometimes they fail. We always try to have successes, but it doesn't always work out that way unfortunately. This is how the real economy works."
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2012, 05:17:43 PM »
« Edited: January 09, 2012, 05:21:55 PM by Politico »

When John Kerry said "I actually did vote for the $87 billion before I voted against it" he was making a valid point about how he voted for the version of the bill that paid for itself instead of the one increasing the deficit, something that fiscal conservatives should have appreciated.

But that didn't matter of course. What he said fed into a narrative as a flip flopper.

This will too, just like "corporations are people"

Newsflash: The economy of 2012 is nothing like the economy of 2004. Bush barely won re-election as evidenced by the fact a 75,000 vote swing in Ohio, or something like that, would have led to a Kerry victory. If you think Obama is going to win re-election by trying to Swift-boat Romney, you are in for a big surprise.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2012, 05:17:43 PM »

I've never got the glee American conservatives seem to find in firing 'incompetents' (, which they define rather vaguely). I don't think firing anyone should ever be a labor of love.

If somebody is not getting the job done, they need to be fired unless they have a history of performing in the past coupled with just a recent setback of some sort that they will recover from. People are paid to do the job right, not have others do it whether it be their other co-workers or competitors that consumers turn to because of the poor job the aforementioned incompetent did.

You see, Belg, the fantasy of individual responsibility on the part of poor powerless serfs.  its quite sad - like someone kicking a dog for not being able to talk.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2012, 05:18:45 PM »

You see, Belg, the fantasy of individual responsibility on the part of poor powerless serfs.  its quite sad - like someone kicking a dog for not being able to talk.

How many times do I have to ask you what a good little communist like you is doing in Thailand instead of North Korea? The paradise of your views is waiting for you in North Korea. It's a short trip. What are you waiting for?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2012, 05:23:30 PM »

How many times do I have to ask you what a good little communist like you is doing in Thailand instead of North Korea? The paradise of your views is waiting for you in North Korea. It's a short trip. What are you waiting for?

What 'views', Pol?  I'm only critiquing the nonsense you're spewing.  And anyway the thread is about perception - people don't like this arrogant, swaggering style of your Mitt, rubbing his wealth and power in their faces, taunting them for their hopeless condition.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2012, 05:23:48 PM »

2/3rds of Kerry gaffes were harmless things taken out of context to prove a point. This isn't a scandal, but it is attack ad fodder.
BlondewithaBrain
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2012, 05:32:33 PM »

I agree, but it's a segue into a conversation/counterpoint that isn't a major problem for Romney at all.  If he said he likes laying people off, that would be a major gaffe.

Yes good people never lose their jobs when there is mass layoff. LOL!!!!!! your a complete muppet

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2012, 05:46:55 PM »

I like firing incompetents too - and have many times. That is precisely what Mitt said. It was a competence issue. Employees do not have some entitlement to keep a job where they are not performing, unless protected by some labor union or something. End of story.

Frankly, anybody that takes pleasure in seeing people (even incompetent ones) losing their jobs is a misantrhope IMHO.
BlondewithaBrain
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2012, 05:49:04 PM »
« Edited: January 09, 2012, 05:52:31 PM by BlondewithaBrain »

I like firing incompetents too - and have many times. That is precisely what Mitt said. It was a competence issue. Employees do not have some entitlement to keep a job where they are not performing, unless protected by some labor union or something. End of story.

Frankly, anybody that takes pleasure in seeing people (even incompetent ones) losing their jobs is a misantrhope IMHO.

Torie is just one of those people that has never seen the bottom. Has no understanding of the real world nor real problems.

Majority of people in authority are incompetent. HP, Sony, Panasonic, General Motors, Dell have been run by complete morons. Yet the company was to big to do any damage.

DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2012, 05:49:54 PM »

Another good Super PAC ad: The 2008 Barack Obama "Hope" painting with "Hope?" below it that eventually morphs into "Nope." Just have a narrator who simply asks "Hope?" and then says, "Nope." I guarantee it will be brutally effective, especially considering the scorched earth campaign Team Obama is apparently intent on running.

That doesn't really make any sense, since Romney can't fire the President, only the voters as a whole can and such an ad would be completely ridiculous.

Ad-hominem attacks will fall flat against the facts of Romney's record.
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2012, 06:00:23 PM »

I can't imagine firing someone being anything but a horrible experience, but I'm not surprised that Mitt would like firing someone. He comes across as the sort of guy who would.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2012, 06:22:02 PM »
« Edited: January 09, 2012, 06:31:42 PM by Politico »

I agree, but it's a segue into a conversation/counterpoint that isn't a major problem for Romney at all.  If he said he likes laying people off, that would be a major gaffe.

Yes good people never lose their jobs when there is mass layoff. LOL!!!!!! your a complete muppet

Obviously good people are lost during mass layoffs in many cases. Go re-read what I said instead of jumping to conclusions. Bain didn't fire good people. They sometimes laid off people, certainly some of them were good employees in many cases, because of bad decisions by managers/executives that Bain subsequently fired and replaced.

What is better: An entire company going under and everybody losing their job, or a restructuring where some people lose their jobs, but the company is eventually restored to profitability and able to grow again and hire people down the road?

Everybody knows that layoffs suck and nobody enjoys ordering them. Unfortunately, they are necessary sometimes.

A layoff and a firing are two totally different things, and Mitt has never said he enjoys layoffs.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2012, 06:27:51 PM »
« Edited: January 09, 2012, 06:29:51 PM by Politico »

That doesn't really make any sense

Let me rephrase it: "The only person I will like seeing fired will be Barack Obama on Election Day."

I know the prospect of the messiah losing re-election is a bit much to handle, so just try to adjust yourself to the idea over the next few months. You have time to get used to it.
BlondewithaBrain
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2012, 06:35:40 PM »

Let me rephrase it: "The only person I will like seeing fired will be Barack Obama on Election Day."

I know the prospect of the messiah losing re-election is a bit much to handle, so just try to adjust yourself to the idea over the next few months. You have time to get used to it.

coming from a guy whose candidate doesnt even agree with himself.

are you paid by romney to be on here? or do you have medical/social problems?
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2012, 06:43:10 PM »

Are you paid by your pimp to be on here? Get back to work before he fires you.
BlondewithaBrain
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2012, 06:49:29 PM »
« Edited: January 09, 2012, 06:57:34 PM by BlondewithaBrain »

Are you paid by your pimp to be on here? Get back to work before he fires you.

answer : you have social problems. time to turn your computer off. your addicted to being on here and its affecting your life.

Evidence ; you support a candidate that doesnt agree with himself. so yout going to be contradicting yourself on a daily basis. Hence, your a hypocrite or you are crazy. thats medical.

turn your computer of go to a doctor ask for help..and get some social experiences for yourself...some people call them friends Smiley or perhaps a girlfriend Wink
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2012, 06:54:19 PM »

I think the odds of President Obama losing are less high than they were a few months ago. At this point, I don't think Republicans have anything to be overconfident about.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies